This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

AMD vs Intel

edited October 2008 in Technology
I was just wondering which one was better. I'm buying some new stuff for my computer and I've found a kick ass video card for cheap and now I'm deciding on which processor I'll get. So I just wanted to know if AMD and Intel are different in any ways.
I was thinking of buying this just cause it's fits right into the price range I was looking for (<$120). The Intel <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037">equivalent to it was $165!!!

Comments

• I have the impression that Intels are, at least at the moment, a bit better. But I have no evidence to back that.
  • At the higher end Intels are pretty dominant but at the lower end it can go either way.
  • I was thinking of buyingthisjust cause it's fits right into the price range I was looking for (<$120). The Intel<a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168191150 37">equivalentto it was $165!!!
    The Intel you linked is far superior. First of all, it's created using the 45nm process, instead of the AMD's 90nm process. This refers to the actual size of the CMOS logic gates on the processor. The 45nm chip should run cooler and more efficiently while using less power. The Intel also has 6mb of L2 cache, as opposed to the AMD's 2x1MB. L2 cache is memory on the chip that allows it to store information so it doesn't have to keep referencing your RAM. This allows it to run much more faster.

All in all, the Intel processor you linked to is a much better performer than the AMD. My suggestion these days is to always pick up an Intel right now. You will get significantly more bang for your buck.
  • What he said...
    There's my evidence! ^^
  • edited October 2008
    The Intel you linked is far superior. First of all, it's created using the 45nm process, instead of the AMD's 90nm process. This refers to the actual size of the CMOS logic gates on the processor. The 45nm chip should run cooler and more efficiently while using less power. The Intel also has 6mb of L2 cache, as opposed to the AMD's 2x1MB. L2 cache is memory on the chip that allows it to store information so it doesn't have to keep referencing your RAM. This allows it to run much more faster.

All in all, the Intel processor you linked to is a much better performer than the AMD. My suggestion these days is to always pick up an Intel right now. You will get significantly more bang for your buck.
    Thanks! Now I just gotta get $60. D:
    Post edited by Skyshiro on
  • Just get this if you don't have the money. You won't need such a badass processor unless you're doing something like compiling videos or playing Crysis at 1600x1200.