This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What's The Better Graphics Card?

edited October 2008 in Technology
My Dad has been shopping for computers and he found 3 computers, each with a different graphics card. What graphics card is the best, a 128mb independant, a 256mb shared or a GMA 3100?

Comments

• Do you have more specific information (manufacturer, model, more detailed specifications, etc.)?
  • No, I'll ask my Dad when I next see them though.
  • Whatever you do, don't go with a shared memory option. I'd take a card with 128mb of standalone memory over one with any amount of shared memory.
  • My Dad has been shopping for computers and he found 3 computers, each with a different graphics card. What graphics card is the best, a 128mb independant, a 256mb shared or a GMA 3100?
    The one that can run DirectX 10.
  • edited October 2008
    It depends. What memory interface (in bits) is the card? Also, at what is the memory clocked? Is it DDR, DDr2, or DDR3? Is it PCI, AGP, PCI-E, or PCI-E x2? My guess is that the 128 mb will outperform the GMA 3100. However, if you are willing to spend 85 dollars, this is a great card: Nvidia 9600 . If you don't have that much to spend, get this: Ati Radeon 3850 (This one seems to have a few problems, but you get what you pay for.) Before buying either of those, make SURE your motherboard supports PCI-Express.

Can you link me to the three computers? I might be able to get you a much better deal for what you need.
    Post edited by Mr. Eric on
  • If your dad isn't playing games or doing 3d work, or running Linux, it doesn't matter which of those three graphics cards he gets. They will all do the job equally well. If your dad is looking to play some games, none of those are going to be good enough.
  • DDR, DDR2, or DDR3?
    Personally, I use DDR 5th mix. ^_~
  • Can you guys help me also please!
    Is this card better or is this one?
    I'm making a computer for the first time and I can't decide between which one.
    Is thiscardbetter or is thisone?
    It's not enough of a difference to validate paying 30 more dollars. 10% Higher clocked memory as far as I can tell won't be too noticeable. You can always overclock yourself if you feel the need. However, the EVGA does have free shipping, so if you don't plan on getting the rebate from ASUS, don't bother.

• It's not enough of a difference to validate paying 30 more dollars. 10% Higher clocked memory as far as I can tell won't be too noticeable. You can always overclock yourself if you feel the need. However, the EVGA does have free shipping, so if you don't plan on getting the rebate from ASUS, don't bother.
    Wait, so the EVGA one?

• It's not enough of a difference to validate paying 30 more dollars. 10% Higher clocked memory as far as I can tell won't be too noticeable. You can always overclock yourself if you feel the need. However, the EVGA does have free shipping, so if you don't plan on getting the rebate from ASUS, don't bother.
    Wait, so the EVGA one?
    Well are you going to send in the rebate? If the $20 dollars is significant to you, get the ASUS. If you aren't concerned with spending 20 extra, I would go with the EVGA. Both are very trustworthy brands, and if you know how to overclock, you can save yourself some money by doing it yourself.
    Here's my advice to you. If you can't figure out which parts to buy on your own, don't build a computer. If you depend on the knowledge of others, you're just going to have an epic failure when the parts show up. You need to do research, study, and learn enough for yourself. When you yourself know what parts are better, then you are ready to buy them. Before I built my first computer I subscribed to Computer Shopper for over a year, and spent a lot of time learning and figuring out how to build a computer, what parts were better, and what parts were compatible. As a result, every computer I've bought has been perfect, and have all lasted 4-5 years.

Spend a few months researching and learning about all the parts in a computer, what all the specs mean, etc. When you have the ability to tell, on your own, what parts are what based on the specs, then you're ready to build. If you spend money before then, you're asking for trouble.
  • edited October 2008
    Can you guys help me also please!
    Here's my advice to you. If you can't figure out which parts to buy on your own, don't build a computer. If you depend on the knowledge of others, you're just going to have an epic failure when the parts show up. You need to do research, study, and learn enough for yourself. When you yourself know what parts are better, then you are ready to buy them. Before I built my first computer I subscribed to Computer Shopper for over a year, and spent a lot of time learning and figuring out how to build a computer, what parts were better, and what parts were compatible. As a result, every computer I've bought has been perfect, and have all lasted 4-5 years.

Spend a few months researching and learning about all the parts in a computer, what all the specs mean, etc. When you have the ability to tell, on your own, what parts are what based on the specs, then you're ready to build. If you spend money before then, you're asking for trouble.
    I disagree. With my first computer, I put it together myself, finding what parts were the best (I wasted some money in some places), and then had my friend check over the parts and help me with things like RAM timing, frequency, and various other specs like L2 Cache and which kind of processor I should get. If you have someone help you the first time, you can still learn a lot, but also have them help you if you are doing something wrong.

Now I've built five computers and know my shit pretty well. It is all about experience, so if you need any help Skyshiro, let me know. You can e-mail me your cart at etmetcalf@gmail.com if you want me to look over it.

Edit: Also, it seems he knows what he's doing if his only question was which graphics card is better.
    Post edited by Mr. Eric on
  • Thanks Mr Eric., and Apreche I'm going to have to work my ass off for like 5 months to my calculations to get the computer... So I think I have enough time to look over everything.
  • Thanks Mr Eric., and Apreche I'm going to have to work my ass off for like 5 months to my calculations to get the computer... So I think I have enough time to look over everything.
    If you have five months, building it now is pretty useless. Prices have dropped 30% in the last few months on most components, and it will most likely continue. The build I put together for you is a pretty amazing price for right now though, and will easily last 3 or 4 years until you need to upgrade the GPU.