This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

XKCD vs The New Yorker

Linky.
Apparently a cartoonist at the NY Times magazine New Yorker (known for cartoons that are relatively un-funny) challenged the guy over at XKCD to a cartoon-off.

::edited for correctness::

Comments

• edited October 2008
    I haven't seen pwnage that bad in a long time.

I like how you can tell the NY Times guy wrote the prompts for ideas he already had.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Randall Munroe is a funny guy. I'd like to go see him speak sometime.
  • edited October 2008
    Randall Munroe is a funny guy. I'd like to go see him speak sometime.
    Did you watch his ROFLcon panel? Really awesome stuff.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Randall Munroe is a funny guy. I'd like to go see him speak sometime.
    I would like to take that a step further, and say that I would seriously vote for Randall Munroe if he were campaigning.

This is just awesome- I read xkcd every other weekday morning, and I cannot wait for awesomeness of this magnitude to commence.
  • I would seriously vote for Randall Munroe if he were campaigning.
  • I would seriously vote for Randall Munroe if he were campaigning.
    QFT
  • Yeah, he pretty much got destroyed. Maybe Randall should be drawing comics for the New Yorker instead.
  • Randall kicked his ass so hard. Most of Farley's weren't even funny!
  • Hey, you guys:

The New Yorker is NOT the same as the NYT Magazine.
  • Holy shit, that string theory one made me fall out of my chair.
  • Was I the only one who kept hovering my mouse over the comics trying to see the caption text?
  • edited October 2008
    Was I the only one who kept hovering my mouse over the comics trying to see the caption text?
    Yes. Firefox.
    Post edited by Mr. Eric on
  • edited October 2008
    The New Yorker is NOT the same as the NYT Magazine.
    Yeah. New Yorker cartoons are ever more odd. Fun fact: I learned, as a child, that sex takes usually place in bed because of a humorous conversation in a New Yorker cartoon. Heehee.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Randall Munroe is a funny guy. I'd like to hear him interviewed on the show some time.
    No way, me too!
  • Randall Munroe is a funny guy. I'd like to hear him interviewed on the show some time.
    No way, me too!
    Please, Scrym? Please?
  • edited October 2008
    Was I the only one who kept hovering my mouse over the comics trying to see the caption text?
    Yes.Firefox.
    Actually, Firefox can have popup text with XKCD. I think it has something to do with alt text vs. title text...or something.

Pic related...

Post edited by Dkong on
  • Actually, Firefox can have popup text with XKCD. I think it has something to do with alt text vs. title text...or something.
    Firefox doesn't display alt text with a mouse over, unlike most browsers. It uses alt text for what it is meant. it displays the text if the image can't be loaded for some reason.
  • Was I the only one who kept hovering my mouse over the comics trying to see the caption text?
    Yes.Firefox.
    Actually I was referring to the fact that these particular cartoons don't have the famous title text. I kept hovering my mouse over these comics out of habit.
  • Apparently a cartoonist at theNY Times magazineNew Yorker (known for cartoons that are relatively un-funny) challenged the guy over at XKCDRandall Munroe to a cartoon-off.
    Before I could muster the courage to challenge him to a cartoon-off, as I knew I must, he had already removed his glove—a long silky stocking of a thing—and lofted it against my cheek, mouthing the words “cartoon off.” The game was on.
    According to the article it was Randall Munroe who challenged the cartoonist. Why is this even in need of a separate thread? Every blag post is awesome, with a spike here and there.
    Sadly they were non-existant. I too hover over pretty much any comic these days, out of habit. You'll never know when some other comic copies it.
    Actually, Firefox can have popup text with XKCD. I think it has something to do with alt text vs. title text...or something.
    Definition and Usage

The alt attribute should be a short description of the image

This attribute is used when the user for some reason cannot see the image. This could be because of a slow connection, an error in the image URL, or the user could be using a text-only or non-visual browsers.
    AttributeValueDescription
    titletooltip_text A text to display in a tool tip
  • While the alt text is not displayed on when hovering over a picture in any browser, the title attribute will be displayed, even in Firefox, which is why the caption text of xkcd is defined in the title attribute.
  • edited October 2008
    Alt text is just what comes up when the image can't be loaded AFAIK.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Alt text is just what comes up when the image can't be loaded AFAIK.
    This attribute is used when the user for some reason cannot see the image. This could be because of a slow connection, an error in the image URL, or the user could be using a text-only or non-visual browsers.
    It's not that big a wall of text.