This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A Wizard of Earthsea

edited October 2008 in Everything Else
Just finished it.

Good pick Scott, really has got me excited about fantasy again.

Comments

• Those were the books that got me into reading serious fantasy, back around fifth grade or so.
  • This book is on my re-read list. I have it sitting near my bed.
  • The writing style is perfect in its simplicity, I guess. As said, the magic is very similar to burning wheel or vice versa. Which has to mean good things.
  • The writing style is perfect in its simplicity, I guess. As said, the magic is very similar to burning wheel or vice versa. Which has to mean good things.
    Vice versa.
  • I just finished reading the first two Earthsea Books (I read them both in just over 24 hours). The only Le Guin I had read before this was The Left Hand of Darkness. While good, they didn't have the sophistication of Left Hand.
    I enjoyed them enough that I will read the next book, but they somehow left me feeling a little flat. In a way they remind me of Tolkien's Farmer Giles of Ham. Both present a fantasy world with magic and dragons, but the danger seems subdued. I assume this is because her intended audience was relatively young.
    The world is strong and colorful, and the scope of the story is literally world spanning, but so far it is just one man's (boy's?) story. Even the world changing things he does are not put into perspective.
    Good, perhaps even a classic, but not great. Ged grows and matures, but in a truly great book the reader grows as well.
    Though I do have to thank you for reminding/making me read more Le Guin.
  • Try The Lathe of Heaven
  • Rich in premise and detail, but loses momentum during the last third of the book. The ending felt tacked on and cliched.
  • That's all you need. Just pick out the silver and throw away the black.
  • Do you mean to stop reading the book two-thirds of the way through?
  • Nope, just remember the 1st 2/3 the most vividly.
  • edited December 2008
    TryThe Lathe of Heaven
    QFT! My Daddykins read this to me as one of our before-bed reading when I was about 12 or so. Coincidentally, it was just after he read a bunch of Ursula K. Le Guin novels to me, including some of the Earthsea books. Wow. This thread bring me back. ^_^
    EDIT: I recommend Nightwings by Robert Silverberg (or anything by Robert Silverberg - he is a fantastic writer with some great works).
    Post edited by Kate Monster on