This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Epic that is 12 Byzantine Emperors

edited October 2008 in Everything Else
Post comments and opinions

It was awesome, to say the least. At the end of it all, when Lars described the Hagia Sophia on the last Easter I began to tear up. It was true tragedy, the tears I felt were similar to those that I felt at 'The Death of a Salesman'. It was all very moving. The whole tragic hero and such. I saw a little bit of a resemblance between Constantine XI and Duke Leto Atreides, which made the end of the podcast even more awesome.

Comments

• I remember listening to some of this podcast. I found it interesting, but it was too wordy for me to follow it while I was doing other things, so I stopped about halfway through. I remember the presentation being very entertaining, and I might go back to it someday, when I have no geeknights to listen to and something long and horrendous to work on.
  • I've listened to it four or five times. I'm now reading "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbons and "A short History of Byzantium" by John Julius Norwich. If you are interested, I highly suggest getting both of those books for different perspectives. I have so much respect for the guy who recorded those; it gave me a true interest in history. However, after reading the Decline and Fall, it's really depressing to see how terrible the Byzantines were in respect to the original Romans.

A small quip I have with the series is that he doesn't provide very many dates, and doesn't produce any accompanying maps from the different time periods to give perspective of the size of the Empire and which year it was.
  • The last epic battle where the last emperor charges into the breached wall and vanishes into history was pretty awesome.