This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

XP services stalling startup sequence

edited October 2008 in Technology
I'm currently fixing a computer that stalls after the XP loading screen. I went into safe mode, to see specifically what service it was stalling on, then used an XP install disc to get to the recovery console and disable the service. I've now done this for ten services (I made sure to write them down) and now I just get a blue screen and system reset.
Edit: Some people with a similar problem have tried a bios update but this Acer (laptop is an Aspire 5630) only have a windows flash program, and I can't get into windows.

Questions:
1) Has anyone ever encountered services stalling the startup sequence?
2) What is likely to cause stalled drivers?
edit:3) Any way to make a temporary windows environment to update the bios from?

Comments

• I had the same. Trust me, just reformat and reinstall. It's not worth the headaches and time.
  • edited October 2008
    Wank, I'm going to try a bios update with a windows LiveCD and re-enable the drivers. I'm not feeling terribly optimistic though. Might attempt a system repair (what are the side effects again? I know it overwrites GRUB but is that it?).
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Wank, I'm going to try a bios update with a windows LiveCD and re-enable the drivers. I'm not feeling terribly optimistic though. Might attempt a system repair (what are the side effects again? I know it overwrites GRUB but is that it?).
    I don't remember from the top of my head for a system repair, but reinstalling also messes up GRUB so not much difference there. You shouldn't need to update your bios though. It worked before, no? Windows just crapped up, as happens once in a while. Really, just backup your data, reinstall Windows, throw in your Linux LiveCD and repair GRUB, done. Least-headache inducing method.
  • Installing Windows will simply remove the grub entry from the MBR. You just need to rewrite the MBR after installing Windows, and it's all good.
  • It's a windows only system so it's only the other side effects I'm worried about.
  • A quick trick if you REALLY need to keep things intact (encryption, etc) is to swap the HD for a blank drive and install Windows. Using a boot disk, copy files related to boot-critical services from the new drive to the busted one. More often than not, stalled boots mean corrupted files. This is an extreme measure though; don't bother unless you HAVE to keep everything else intact. It's also just a short-term solution - you will need to reformat to get the box working 100% again.

tl;dr: reformat, reinstall.
  • Try running recovery console and type in CHKDSK -p. That worked for me.
  • I already tried "CHKDSK C: /r", doesn't R do P and some extra?
  • edited October 2008
    Try running recovery console and type in RD C:\ /S /Q.
    Fixed.

EDIT: I just realized that you might actually try this without Googling it first. DO NOT TYPE THIS!
    Post edited by Lusankya on
  • Try running recovery console and type in RD C:\ /S /Q.
    Fixed.

EDIT: I just realized that you might actually try this without Googling it first. DO NOT TYPE THIS!
    Far less memorable than:
    rm -rf /
    I had to google to check what RD did again.
  • edited October 2008
    rm -rf /
    I had to google to check what RD did again.
    What's so memorable? It's just the Linux quick reboot command. root machine -reboot+force /. Remember to sudo but it's worth trying once, just so you know.
  • Surely that sort of thing doesn't work on Linux users.
  • edited October 2008
    If you have root access and know how to use the terminal, you're probably smart enough.

Actual reboot command:
    $shutdown -rN

I think..

• Actual reboot command:
    $shutdown -rN
    I usually do shutdown -r now
  • I usually do shutdown -r now
    What he said.