This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Spotted something unexpected at Wal-Mart

edited October 2008 in Everything Else
Today I saw something I didn't expect in Wal-Mart's book section. Normally they have the latest release and some best-sellers and such, and the manga selection, if any, is limited to little more than some volumes of Naruto. This evening, however, I walked by and was pleasantly surprised to see the spine of a familiar yellow-and-black trade paperback. About 20 or 30 copies of Watchmen sat in the side shelf of a center display. I was honestly astounded to see it there. Anybody else seen anything awesome and geeky in an unlikely place lately?

Comments

• I saw a familiar yellow-and-black insect on the wall, and watched a man hit it with a book.
  • edited October 2008
    I'm not surprised. There IS a movie coming out and Watchmen IS relatively popular as far as American comics go.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited October 2008
    Yep. Watchmen has been the #1 graphic novel on Bookscan for months now, ever since the trailer came out. DC printed like a million new copies or something like that.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Check to see if it's edited.
    What would they edit?!
    What would they edit?!
    Wal-Mart has a history of editing explicit content out of the products it sells. It's the reason I won't buy music there, ever.
  • What would they edit?!
    The Big Blue Junk, for one.
  • Be careful with that news. It's an antique.
    Meanwhile, your joke was edgy and entirely original, deriving from no prior art whatsoever and springing forth unaided from your raw, humorous intellect.
    Meanwhile, your joke was edgy and entirely original, deriving from no prior art whatsoever and springing forth unaided from your raw, humorous intellect.
    And your pointing out the originality of my jokes is a most wonderful, useful, and welcome contribution to the discussion.
  • And your pointing out the originality of my jokes is a most wonderful, useful, and welcome contribution to the discussion.
    Your statement is clearly and unambiguously a statement of truth, and I sincerely appreciate your complimenting my astute powers of literary observation. I have seen many such humoristic efforts in the past, and I can discern them plainly by the manner of their display.
  • The way you two bicker is absolutely nothing at all like an old married couple.
  • And your pointing out the originality of my jokes is a most wonderful, useful, and welcome contribution to the discussion.
    Your statement is clearly and unambiguously a statement of truth, and I sincerely appreciate your complimenting my astute powers of literary observation. I have seen many such humoristic efforts in the past, and I can discern them plainly by the manner of their display.

This can only be followed up with "Your Mom"
  • This can only be followed up with "Your Mom"
    Invoking Godwin's Law would work as well.
  • This can only be followed up with "Your Mom"
    Invoking Godwin's Law would work as well.
    Didn't Godwin himself say that Nazi references shouldn't be overused?
  • Didn't Godwin himself say that Nazi references shouldn't be overused?
    No, that was your mom.
    I am replying with a powerfully witty non sequitur; the purpose of such a reply is to demonstrate both my complete lack of interest in the quoted discussion and my vast intellect. The combination of these factors means that my intellect is demonstrably larger than your own.
    I am replying with a powerfully witty non sequitur; the purpose of such a reply is to demonstrate both my complete lack of interest in the quoted discussion and my vast intellect. The combination of these factors means that my intellect is demonstrably larger than your own.
    I win.
    I win.
    Here's your medal.
  • Sadly, I think I've seen this entire exchange in Digg comment form.