This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Book Donation Drive: Starting Nov. 9

Number of Books: Over 100!
Number of Donors: 6

Thank you to everyone who sent books! I'll be taking some photos of the books and posting them as soon as I can. The librarian loved all the donations, especially some of the older or more unusual books. These will really help out the library!

As some of you know, I recently started teaching kindergarten - 3rd grade art at a charter school in the Albany, NY area. The school as an entity is several years old, and moved into its brand new building in August. The upside is that the facility is amazing and the students and teachers love it. I even have an LCD projector that is mounted to my ceiling so I can show images from the computer via plugs in the wall by my desk (which has been used in projects about Owly, about dragons and textures on them, and even Kiki's Delivery Service on one day when I was absent). The down side is that when they left the old building that they shared with another charter school with whom they are affiliated, the library was left behind. Mrs. MacRoss and I donated some new books she picked up while in Canada, and the school has books on order. However, the total number of books in the library including our donation and after the shipment arrives will be about 150. As you can imagine, the bookshelves are pretty barren.

I became friendly with the librarian and asked she would mind if I tapped some friends about possibly donating books. She loved the idea and said that every little bit would help. The original plan was for me to pop on the show for a little bit to talk about the plan, but Scrym's schedule and mine just aren't connecting. So here's the deal:

We need books that are appropriate for grades k-3. Early reader stuff, picture books, graphic novels (Like Owly for instance), easy chapter books, DVD's, CD's, audio books, etc. Any books that speak to/about minorities and other cultures are a big plus since we want the library's contents to be as diverse as our school's population.

The library's budget is pretty much spent for this year, so we won't be able to order any more until August of 2009. Every little bit helps. We're looking for new or gently used books, so nothing that has water damage or is missing covers or anything. The librarian has also told be she wants to go through when she has time and put "donated by" stickers on the inside covers of donated books. If you'd rather donate anonymously, that's fine too.

The questions I had to ask was: do I put the school's info up or do I have everything sent to me? I decided that it would be wise, since the interwebs are an untamed and wild land, to have the donations come to me first so I could eliminate anyone sending something that might not be age appropriate. Someone 'accidentally' sending in Urotsukidōji, or perhaps having the best intentions but sending in The Prince of Nothing trilogy for example.

So early next week, I'll be posting an address to send book donations to that will allow me to poke through and review the books. Anything that gets rejected, that is also not a joke or vulgar, will go to local libraries regardless. What I'd like to do once I have a significant number of books/media is to make a presentation to the library from the GeekNights podcast listeners with individual names listed inside the books. I'd also like to get local media coverage if we get enough books. The book drive will likely run until the middle of December before winter break.

I'm also using the week-long notice to gauge how much interest there is for donations. If you have serious intentions to help and to donate, just post here to let me know. I'll keep everyone posted, and I'll also get some photos of the library in it's currently new, but empty, state. That way I can post "after" photos if the drive goes well!

The address will be put up at the bottom of this post next week, and I apologize for the text wall. Thanks in advance!

Please send any donations to 48A Beach Road, Clifton Park, NY 12065
If you want your information put on to a "donated by" sticker, make sure you make a note of it.

Comments

• edited October 2008
    I got alot fo friends with kids and i, my self, have a 10 year old sister so ill see what i can do and ask around.

I'm not even sure what you are trying to say. Please, learn how to form a basic sentence before posting again.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I have a few books in my collection and I can ask my roommates if they can spare from their collections. This is a good idea!
  • Hmmm, I can think of a few titles to send your way. I'll look to see what I have already, then I'll hit up the local used book stores.
  • edited October 2008
    My little brother has some books he doesn't read. I'd be more than happy to see what I can scrounge up and send over there.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I won't be home from school until the second week of December but I think I could find some stuff lying around the house.
  • I went to my local comic book shop after work to see what they had. I also found out I won a $100 gift certificate because I entered a raffle for their 6th anniversary celebration. So I went ahead and grabbed the two only Owly books they had there: Owly Vol. 3 Flying Lessons & Owly Vol. 5 Tiny Tales. I'll mail them out once you post the address.
  • Is anyone from the FRC interested in this? I am particularly speaking to those that continually boast of making far more money than they need and frequently decry the current state of public education. Put your money where your mouth is! ^_^
  • edited October 2008
    I have 5 younger siblings, the youngest of whom just passed out of this age range a few years ago. I could probably bring you an assload of books, but not until January or February when I come up to look for housing, assuming I get into Pace Law. I'm not really able to pay for shipping on that much weight. ^_^;;

Given that you said you can't order books until August, I'd bet that would be helpful even if it's after the technical book drive deadline.

Edit: Oh yeah...you should make an audio promo for the book drive. Give the address to mail the books to in the promo (I suggest a PO box or other neutral address) and distribute it to other podcasters. I know a bunch of Podiobook authors who would probably be happy to include it...you could make this a lot bigger than just the Geeknights forum if you wanted.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Oh yeah...you should make an audio promo for the book drive. Give the address to mail the books to in the promo (I suggest a PO box or other neutral address) and distribute it to other podcasters. I know a bunch of Podiobook authors who would probably be happy to include it...you could make this a lot bigger than just the Geeknights forum if you wanted.
    That's trivial to do. I'll make it as soon as I get a chance, and we'll sent the mp3 out.
  • edited October 2008
    Oh yeah...you should make an audio promo for the book drive. Give the address to mail the books to in the promo (I suggest a PO box or other neutral address) and distribute it to other podcasters. I know a bunch of Podiobook authors who would probably be happy to include it...you could make this a lot bigger than just the Geeknights forum if you wanted.
    That's trivial to do. I'll make it as soon as I get a chance, and we'll sent the mp3 out.
    Good, send me a copy and I'll re-distribute from here. :)

Oh yeah...you should probably give a web address in the promo and just put the book-mailiing addy on a web page. Make a web page for the book drive...also trivial...so people can go get the info detailed above.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • August isn't a true cut-off. It was just a suggestion.
  • edited October 2008
    Heh, I was hoping to do said audio promo with Scrym but it never manifested :P. I'm thinking that we'll do the drive until after the Holidays so people have time to get home if they are at college to look for books and media. I'll also look into getting a PO Box or something at our local post office that I can receive packages at.

Also, August wasn't a cut-off, I had mentioned it to show that the school will not be receiving any new books from their own budget until then.

That being said, if the drive goes awesomely, I can theoretically continue it until 'it's done'. The librarian will never turn away appropriate books and DVD's.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Bump for the start of the drive!
  • Awesome, I'll send the Owly books out later on this week.
  • I've picked out a bunch of books. They shall be sent soon-ish.
  • edited November 2008
    If you send me text, I'll record something with Michelle for you if Scrym is too busy. Hell, if you have Skype, I'll record you. I get pretty good sound quality with Skype + Levelator. :)
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Le bump so no one forgets. :D
  • I have some books that should fit nicely; remind me about 'em when you're down here this weekend if I forget.
  • I have some books that should fit nicely; remind me about 'em when you're down here this weekend if I forget.
    Oh, you will be reminded. (menacing look at Alex)
  • I've picked out a bunch of books. They shall be sent soon-ish.
    Le bump so no one forgets. :D
    I haven't forgotten, I just have a lot of books so I need to find a box to fit and ship em in.
  • Not sure if this is the right thread, but now this thread is a sticky can we un-sticky some of the other sticky threads? On my laptop screen I can't actually see any non-sticky topics unless I zoom out or scroll down.

Good luck with the donation drive.
  • I think I can get a hold of a few books. Would books in Spanish be useful? I can get one or two of those too.
  • edited November 2008
    I think I can get a hold of a few books. Would books in Spanish be useful? I can get one or two of those too.
    If you think it would be good for k-3rd grade. The kids love Dora, for example. I know we have a few kids whose native language is Spanish.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Once the educational comic I'm working on gets published, I'm going to send you guys a copy ASAP! It won't be until next summer or so, but I'll make sure you guys get some. :D
  • Once the educational comic I'm working on gets published, I'm going to send you guys a copy ASAP! It won't be until next summer or so, but I'll make sure you guys get some. :D
    You're a peach!
    AWESOME! I can't wait to see it! I am certain the ankle biters will love it!
    You're a peach!
    Does that make her fuzzy?
    I can't eat peaches that aren't sliced. The fuzz irritates my upper lip. :p
  • I'm sorry it's taking me so long. Its hard finding a box. V_V
  • I made a run through the local Half-Price Books and found a handful of good books. Would a German language copy of Calvin and Hobbes be a useful addition?
  • Would a German language copy of Calvin and Hobbes be a useful addition?
    You know, I really have no idea. I don't think we have any German nationals or German speakers, so it's usefulness may be wasted at the school...