This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Registrar?

edited October 2008 in Everything Else
I've been using godaddy.com for about two years now... but I find it REALLY SLOW.
Does anyone know any good registrars?
Google just fails to help in domain/hosting because it just gives a bunch of spam websites :S

Comments

• Are you looking for a registrar only or also a host?
    If you are asking about registrars, the only one I have ever used is dynadot. They were cheap, and did not send me a slew of spam email afterwards, which is all I was looking for.
    If you also need hosting, that depends a lot on your specific needs, but I am currently using hostgator, and everything is running smoothly. I would recommend NOT using 1and1, which I foolishly did the first time.
  • Well, I'm only looking for a domain registrar.
    Dynadot looks pretty sweet, but I have to ask: does it have alot of options? For example, I want to be able to set a domain as a nameserver in the future.
    (Godaddy has alot of options, but it's site's so ugly and slow.)
  • I use gandi.net for everything. It might not work for you, especially if your technical knowledge is limited, but it works for me.
  • I want to be able to set a domain as a nameserver in the future.
    I don't understand what this means.
    The host typically deals with the name servers. You tell the registrar which name servers you want them to point visitors towards. I have not used them for hosting, but since they do offer it, I would assume dynadot also runs their own nameservers.

In general, I think it makes more sense to ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish, and what specific options you need, rather than just going for something with 'a lot of options.' If you don't know what options you need, just go with something cheap for now.
  • I want to be able to set a domain as a nameserver in the future.
    I don't understand what this means.
    The host typically deals with the name servers. You tell the registrar which name servers you want them to point visitors towards. I have not used them for hosting, but since they do offer it, I would assume dynadot also runs their own nameservers.

In general, I think it makes more sense to ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish, and what specific options you need, rather than just going for something with 'a lot of options.' If you don't know what options you need, just go with something cheap for now.
    Yeah, I went for something cheap. I didn't mean alot of options, but more like flexible. I didn't want to be limited so I have to contact the company each time I want a specific change.