This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone Podcasting finally

2»

Comments

• Alright, here's the deal. The update does indeed let you download episodes of podcasts that are not currently on your device. However, it is extremely limited and not yet the solution we are looking for.

Here's what you can do. If you are using the iPod application, and looking at a specific podcast, after the last episode will be the option to download more episodes. If you push that, it will take you to the page for that podcast in the iTunes app. On that page you will be able to download episodes of the podcast that aren't already on our device. You can also browse the podcast sectcion of the iTunes store to download individual episodes of any podcast you can find in there.

Here is what you can not do. You can not subscribe to new podcasts, even if they are in the store. All you can do is manually download individual episodes. You will not be informed if and/when new episodes of your subscribed podcasts are available. You have to do everything 100% manually. It's as if the idea of subscribing doesn't even exist. If you are subscribed to a podcast that is not in the iTunes store, you can still subscribe and sync it as usual through iTunes. However, if you try to get more episodes of that podcast on the phone, it will just take you to the front page of the iTunes app. There is no way to manually type in RSS feeds whatsoever.

If you're out and about the town, and you are wondering if your favorite podcast has a new episode, this feature allows you to manually check for one and download it if need be. If you were hoping to subscribe and manage your podcasts entirely on the device and not have to sync with iTunes, forget about it.

This makes Apple's rejection of the podcaster app even more interesting. Yes, it does duplicate some of the features of the latest iPhone update. However, the podcaster app actually let you subscribe to podcasts, and would let you know about new episodes. It also allowed you to deal with podcasts outside of the iTunes store.

When I really think about it. The limitations of this feature update are such that I will hardly ever use it. Unless I'm away from iTunes for an extended period of time, I'm not going to manually check for new episodes of anything. We're closer than we were before when it comes to mobile podcasting, but we're still not there yet. This isn't enough to bring the second coming of podcasts by a long shot.
  • I have thought the whole time that Apple wanted to get a leg up on the competition, Podcatcher. I would bet that podcatcher would be accepted if they submitted again in a couple of weeks. Apple spent money developing this and did not want to lose the possible advantage of being first to offer this feature on the iPhone.
  • I am really disappointed with this functionality, and I was really looking forward to it. I moved over to Ubuntu for my main desktop and I haven't had any way to sync with my iphone, at least no way that worked reliably (virtualizing iTunes was flaky at best). For the past few weeks I've been syncing my podcasts from Ubuntu to my old second-generation Nano, and carrying that around while I was still using my iPhone as my music player and phone. Faced with this much hassle, I actually plan to use the new feature to manage my podcasts. My current approach is to keep a tag in Google Reader with all my podcast feeds. I created a bookmark on the home screen, so when I want to check for new podcasts I hit that, and if there's a new episode of GeekNights or what have you I go into iPod, hit 'get more episodes' and download the new ones manually. It's more work than I'd like (a 'check for updates' button would be great), but it's just a bit easier than my previous appraoach. As usability goes, Apple really dropped the ball. I am hopeful for future updates, if not optimistic.