This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows 7

Comments

• He's implying geographical differences. Please stop picking and choosing lines to argue against when unable to disprove the bulk of the argument.
    Now there is a lesson the whole internet could learn.
  • http://www.worldenergy.org/publications/1026.asp

A worldwide energy consumption comparison. Page 22 is relevant to this discussion:

North American households' energy consumption is approximately twice and half greater than their European counterparts.
  • That's nice, but me putting my laptop to sleep at night instead of stone cold off isn't going to change that statistic any. This almost nothing to do with anything. Computers in a household are not high dollar items in terms of electricity, look to A/C, heating, and kitchen appliances for the real money sinks. Running a computer 24/7, is like leaving a light bulb on. I actually have all the hard drives in my file server set to park themselves after being inactive for an 1 hour.
  • Computers aren't really that much of an energy drain unless you have a ridiculous rig or a room full of servers. I read somewhere that a normal home pc will use about as much energy as one hot shower in a day.
  • He's implying geographical differences. Please stop picking and choosing lines to argue against when unable to disprove the bulk of the argument.
    What was the bulk of his argument? That double posting is stupid? What assertion was he making that I should disprove or demand he qualify? In fact I agree with him, however you jumped to conclusions.
  • edited October 2008
    What was the bulk of his argument?
    Who the heck leaves their heater up/on at night?
    People who live in spots where it's -17 degrees Celsius for two months of the year.
    You still turn it down at night even in those cases.
    I don't.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    This is indeed the underlying point. It's a fact that Americans use the most energy in the world. What was it, a quarter of the entire world's supply of oil?
    What was the bulk of his argument? That double posting is stupid? What assertion was he making that I should disprove or demand he qualify?
    That particular post was more aimed to strengthen my earlier point that nobody leaves their heater turned on, or high. Everyone either turns if off, or turns it down so that the house/room will not be ice cold in the morning. The pointing out of the double quote was just to inform the person that he shouldn't do something like that, since it just has no use.
  • It looks like Vista SP2. Just like Vista was a waste of $120 dollars, this seems like it too, based on looks. The only reason I haven't upgraded to Vista is money, and I don't like how it looks. Also, they moved a few things around that would make it bothersome to get used to. In other words, I see no reason and only hassle for upgrading to either of these unless they actually add features.
  • What was the bulk of his argument?
    Who the heck leaves their heater up/on at night?
    People who live in spots where it's -17 degrees Celsius for two months of the year.
    You still turn it down at night even in those cases.
    I don't.
    Please stop picking and choosing lines to argue against when unable to disprove the bulk of the argument.
  • edited October 2008
    Fine, I'll quote the whole thing.
    What was the bulk of his argument? That double posting is stupid? What assertion was he making that I should disprove or demand he qualify? In fact I agree with him, however you jumped to conclusions.
    Posted By: fallstoofastWho the heck leaves their heater up/on at night?
    People who live in spots where it's -17 degrees Celsius for two months of the year.You still turn it down at night even in those cases.I don't.Also:
    Please stop picking and choosing lines to argue against when unable to disprove the bulk of the argument.
    Please stop making yourself look like a hypocrite.
  • This argument sounds so familiar...
  • edited October 2008
    This argument soundssofamiliar...
    Bears no relation. In retrospect: I suppose I didn't know about hyperbole.
  • Please stop making yourself look like a hypocrite.
    Funny, the whole point of my quoting you was that you were being the hypocrite...
  • Go back to this post and read it again. With the correction in place, the argument still stands, how am I a hypocrite?
  • edited October 2008
    Go back tothispost and read it again. With the correction in place, the argument still stands, how am I a hypocrite?
    You were being hypocritical for only quoting part of my argument, which is what you lambasted me about earlier. However, you edited it, thereby passively admitting that I was correct in my statement. In addition, how am I being hypocritical? Do you even know the definition for the word?

Furthermore, the original comment had no relation to his argument with other board members. I was merely pointing out what I thought was an interesting turn of events. I would have been less dubious of his claims if he linked to some sort of data like Adelbert. So...

kthxbai
    Post edited by Andrew on
    edited October 2008
    Furthermore, the original comment had no relation to his argument with other board members. I was merely pointing out what I thought was an interesting turn of events. I would have been less dubious of his claims if he linked to some sort of data like Adelbert. So...
    I'm not the kind of person to source every damned thing I say, if you want a source, ask and I'll go search for it. Besides, if you do not know that Americans use a METRIC FUCK TON of energy more than the rest of the world you haven't been paying attention to the world, it's a well established often mentioned fact. Take your YTMND and go play with Omnutia and the other kids in the sandbox.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I'm not the kind of person to source every damned thing I say, if you want a source, ask and I'll go search for it. Besides, if you do not know that Americans use a METRIC FUCK TON of energy more than the rest of the world you haven't been paying attention to the world, it's a well established often mentioned fact. Take your YTMND and go play with Omnutia and the other kids in the sandbox.
    All of these because someone got their panties in a bundle because some people don't turn off their computers at night...
  • All of these because someone got their panties in a bundle because some people don't turn off their computers at night...
    No, because I sleep my computer at night rather than shut it off. :P
    I'm not the kind of person to source every damned thing I say, if you want a source, ask and I'll go search for it. Besides, if you do not know that Americans use a METRIC FUCK TON of energy more than the rest of the world you haven't been paying attention to the world, it's a well established often mentioned fact. Take your YTMND and go play with Omnutia and the other kids in the sandbox.
    And we pay a lot of money to use that energy.
  • How about instead of arguing which OS uses more energy, ride your bike to work.
  • How about instead of arguing which OS uses more energy, ride your bike to work.
    Would if I could, 18 miles is a bit far though.
  • I'll buy Windows 7 if it does this
  • In case somebody is still interested about Vista: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/. Paul is not a complete MS fanboy (even though he might look like a one) and on his site he has more information about what changes are planned to Windows 7 compared to Vista.
  • I'll buy Windows 7 if it doesthis
    What's your point? SecondLight is just a hardware experiment and not an improvement to (any) OS.
  • You're an American. Also, quoting the same thing twice with a paragraph break in between is stupid and has no use.
    I'm not American. :P
  • All of these because some people don't turn off their computers at night.
    No, the topic (not this thread) was about wasting energy. More importantly, you're being awfully childish Andrew, something I did not expect from someone like you. People keep surprising.
    You act like one in light of this topic, thus you might as well be one for the duration of this topic. Therefore I likened you to one, complaints?
    I'll buy Windows 7 if it does this
    Now turn on the lights. I don't think it will work as well in a normal environment, but it looks cool yes.
  • edited October 2008
    You're an American. Also, quoting the same thing twice with a paragraph break in between is stupid and has no use.
    This is a more appropriate point for the YTMND ;)
    The faceless entity covered itself pretty well there though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I'll buy Windows 7 if it doesthis
    What's your point? SecondLight is just a hardware experiment and not an improvement to (any) OS.
    My point is that it will take a really sick set of features to make me buy windows, Secondlight is (looks) pretty awsome.
    I'll buy Windows 7 if it doesthis
    Now turn on the lights. I don't think it will work as well in a normal environment, but it looks cool yes.
    Same goes for a $7000 projector :)
  • So check this out.

I own two copies of XP, a copy of Vista Ultimate, and a copy of Vista Home Basic. All legitimate copies. I decide to buy a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade edition. Back in the day, when I had the Windows 98 upgrade edition you could install it on a blank drive. It just asked you for your old Windows 95 CD and key in addition to the Windows 98 key. Apparently this is no longer true.

Since I am smart, I keep Windows on a separate drive from all my data. Thus, reinstalling windows is very easy. I just unplug the data drives (to be completely safe) and go nuts.

Vista Ultimate was installed on my computer, but I didn't want to lose my Vista Ultimate license. I would much rather give up my Vista Home Basic or XP license to do the upgrade. I wipe the hard drive and try to install Windows 7 Home Premium. It works perfectly, right up until it asks for the product key. I type the key exactly as it is on the sticker, and it doesn't work. All it says is key invalid.

Apparently, you can only use the upgrade if you install on top of another already installed copy of Windows. It would be nice if it actually told me this before it installed instead of just saying my product key is invalid.

I decide to install XP and then install Windows 7 on top of it. Oh guess what? Windows XP installer blue screen! Fail.

My Vista Home basic is actually a weird OEM license that came with my laptop, so it won't install on the desktop. Guess I'll have to toss my Vista Ultimate to get Windows 7 to work. Fuck.

Since I already moved all of my optical discs, including my vista Ultimate discs, to Queens, I won't be able to install Windows 7 until Saturday when I bring my computer down there. Guess I'll just have Ubuntu on the desktop until then. No big deal. Just won't be playing any PC games for a few days.
  • edited October 2009
    This morning I installed the Ubuntu 9.10 Beta.. it worked first time and took less than half an hour before I was happily browsing the internet and had all my software updated to the latest versions.
  • Apparently, you can only use the upgrade if you install on top of another already installed copy of Windows
    So does your drive still get wiped? Are the programs that were with XP still on your computer when you upgrade over it? I'm a bit confused. I get my upgrade in the mail tomorrow. I was ready to wipe my HD with my OS on it. All my other main files are on my other HD. =/