This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081029 - The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

edited October 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa and inspired by Carl Barks. We also report on a somewhat humorous listener e-mail, and Funimation is suing some bootleggers.

Scott's Thing - The Real Prince of Persia
Rym's Thing - Papa Loves Mambo

Comments

• I'm still reading Watchmen! After that comes The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck + Companion (just more stories by Don Rosa).
  • edited October 2008
    Gotta finish this comic. I'll listen to the rest of the show then. That geekback though....LOL!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited October 2008
    I bought this book by Scott's recommendation and is the awesomeness. I am halfway done the Companion. Now I want to know what happened in the cabin the day before Christmas :D
    Spoilers I was sad when Scrooge's mom dies , and when he becomes an angry old man.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited October 2008
    The Duck family tree by Don Rosa.

Scrooge dies in 1967:

And someone made an awesome model of the money bin from Dan Shane's blueprints:
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on

• And someone made an awesomemodelof the money bin from Dan Shane's blueprints:
    That was a totd a long time ago.
  • The Duck family treeby Don Rosa.
    I have the Duck family tree in poster format somewhere in my Donald Ducks, though it's the Dutch version which has some differences (bottom of page) from the original. I never knew the three nieces were named April, May and June though.
  • some differences
    I actually think that might be a newer version of the tree, as the English one above doesn't have the girl triplets anywhere on it.
  • some differences
    I actually think that might be a newer version of the tree, as the English one above doesn't have the girl triplets anywhere on it.
    The nieces aren't part of the family. They're acquaintances of the Duck family, just like Daisy. In the case of the Dutch tree, note how they branch from an off-screen tree. They're also, at least in my print, in a separate 'tree' in the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck version.
  • The Duckfamily treeby Don Rosa.

Scrooge dies in 1967:
    He got to live 100 years but he still alive in my heart :P
  • Dutch people. Kwik, Kwek, and Kwak, are you serious?
  • Dutch people. Kwik, Kwek, and Kwak, are you serious?
    What's wrong with it? 1. It rolls off the tongue just like Huey, Dewey and Louie, and 2, the names are (variations of) the sound a duck makes. The opposite is true for the names of the nieces, April, May and June? At least the Dutch names are actual names, something which can be debated about the nephews' names. Another, Scrooge? A verb for a name? At least 'Dagobert' is a name. :D
  • Just for your information, guys, Disney has stopped making the straight to video sequels. Of course, now they are making Tinker Bell movies, but at least it's not technically a bad sequel to Peter Pan.
  • Say, did anyone else read the Prince of Persia comic? The art was beautiful and it was published by First Second, so I figured it would be awesome. The thing is, since I never played any of the Prince of Persia games, I feel like I was losing an aspect of the story -- like say, all of it. I'm curious if it just suffered from poor or confusing writing, or it was trying to set up a future plot and confrontation that happens in the games.
  • Say, did anyone else read the Prince of Persia comic? The art was beautiful and it was published by First Second, so I figured it would be awesome. The thing is, since I never played any of the Prince of Persia games, I feel like I was losing an aspect of the story -- like say, all of it. I'm curious if it just suffered from poor or confusing writing, or it was trying to set up a future plot and confrontation that happens in the games.
    I have it. I didn't read it yet.
    I have it. I didn't read it yet.
    Ah, don't let what I said color your opinion of it. I'd like to see what you have to say about it when you finish it, though!
  • edited October 2008
    On the subject of Prince of Persia

X X X X X X X R1! CLIMB?! WHAT'S CLIMB?!
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • edited October 2008
    Its almost the same in French and Spanish the only difference is the number 16 as well as in English where the "ten and X" begins at 13.

In French:

11 = onze
    12 = douze
    13 = treize
    14 = quatorze
    15 = quinze
    16 = seize
    17 = dix-sept (dix= 10 sept = 7)
    18 = dix-huit (dix= 10 huit = 8)
    19 = dix-neuf (dix= 10 neuf = 9)

In Spanish

11 = once
    12 = doce
    13 = trece
    14 = catorce
    15 = quince
    16 = dieciséis (dieci= "diez y"= 10 & seis = 6)
    17 = diecisiete (dieci= "diez y"= 10 & siete = 7)
    18 = dieciocho (dieci= "diez y"= 10 & ocho = 8)
    19 = diecinueve (dieci= "diez y"= 10 & nueve = 9)

Now, where the French fuck it up is in numbers like quatre-vingts (meaning literaly four twenties = 80) or soixante et onze (meaning sixty and eleven = 71)

Sorry if this was not important.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Now, where the French fuck it up is in numbers like quatre-vingts (meaning literaly four twenties = 80) or soixante et onze (meaning sixty and eleven = 71)
    Quatre-vingt-dix-huit! Dix-huit is awesome, it's pronounced the same as the Dutch "Die's wiet," which isn't a proper sentence, but still means "That's cannabis." Ain't it hilarious studying such a stupid language as French when you're a high school kid.

@MrRoboto, I don't think it was important at all. Otherwise they would've asked on the show to clear the stuff up in the forum. But yes, as Rym said, the Romanic languages are crazy with counting between 10 and 20. Germanic languages in general have less of that, German for example only has eleven and twelve to not consist out of a number below 10 and 10. Dutch has 11-14, and English has 11-13 and 15.
  • Hey, I'm new to this forum. So please be kind to me, hehe.
    I love Scrooge McDuck. He is my childhood hero. I have so much passion for the universe that Don Rosa and Carl Barks have created.
    We have always had Donald Duck in our home. When I was about 7 years old I discovered Don Rosa's work. This was in a 1996 issue of the Donald Duck magazine.
    It told the story of Scrooge time as a miner in Alaska. It was so different from the other stories about Scrooge. This felt more realistic and darker. After reading it I noticed a note from the editors of the magazine. It told about how Don Rosa hides a D.U.C.K in each front panel and that he is the man behind many other comics about Scrooge. What I've just read was based of something he already had written. The Life and Time of Scrooge McDuck, published in that magazine from 1992 to 1994.
    I of course went of to find those. As I've said earlier, we but the magazine each week. It's been a tradition since my dad was young. So we have most of the magazines published from the late 70's to this day. I remember it like it was yesterday, searching so many magazines... They had released the 12 part story over 2 year period. It took me hours. But it was worth it. The fun thing is that I found many more Don Rosa and Carl Barks stories.
    I have them all now safe in my bookshelf and I love reading them over and over again.

Don Rosa and Carl Barks are the only Scrooge and Donald related comics you should read. Its quality and pure gold.
    The story about Scrooge is so well written, as they said in the podcast. Don Rosa have made Scrooge a living breathing man/duck.
    Read all the comics by Don Rosa, he do research about everything and truly makes it feel real.
    I can't recommend it more strongly than this. I liked the Norwegian translation better than the original English. The jokes and the humour feels more natural. But I guess its just a cultural thing. But I think you should read it in your language, if it is available.

To anyone who is unfamiliar with this part of Disney and Duckburg, Don Rosa and Carl Barks take on it is the best way to experience it.
    Another person should be mentioned, and that is Marco Rota. He is the only non-cannon writer I like.
    He did the same thin with Donald as Don did with Scrooge. It was only a short story, but he told the life of Donald.
    There some other good stories about Donald as well. Pretty good if you like Donald and it almost fits in with Don and Barks material.

So I think I'll end it here. Thanks for reading.
  • This is the second time you guys have reccommended something so highly I went and bought it the same day. The first time was after I heard your episode about "Watchmen" and I never regretted it. Should be getting the book and the companion next week from Amazon.com
  • it's pronounced the same as the Dutch "Die's wiet," which isn't a proper sentence, but still means "That's cannabis."
    I am now prepared for my trip to Holland.
    edited October 2008
    Hey there Marius, welcome to the forum. First off a question, could you write in normal paragraphs? There is no need to hit enter after some sentences, the browser will cut off the sentence where it's appropriate for the computer the user is using. Now onwards. God, do I envy you. Then again, I cannot read Norwegian, but my god, Donald Duck comics from 1970 till now? Here I am, with my measly 1995 till early 2000s. We no longer get the weekly comics, but they are indeed a fun read. I love having what I still have, I have lost a few of them, some have a rip in the paper here and there, some have lost some of their colour because of the sun.
    it's pronounced the same as the Dutch "Die's wiet," which isn't a proper sentence, but still means "That's cannabis."
    I am now prepared for my trip to Holland.
    Eh... I think you'll get better results just saying the French eight with a clear t and a slight rise in tone to indicate a question. Thus saying, "Wiet?" sorta... Then again, just saying, "Where can I get myself some cannabis?" will most likely be far easier and faster. :)
    Post edited by ... on
  • I just bought a copy at Amazon. :) One question will the book explain how Flintheart Glomgold became Scrooge's rival? That's something Ducktales never really explained. I mean other than the fact that Flinheart was the 2nd richest duck and he would do anything to be number one.
  • Hey Ebb. Yes, it will tell the story of how Scrooge and Flintheart becomes rivals. I think you will like it, and maybe a bit surprised.
    Hey to you too The faceless entity. Your questioned is noted and I'll try to write normal paragraphs :)
    Those comics are so precious to me, but I have the same problem as you do. Some of the older ones are falling apart. Being stored in my grandma's attic for 20 years didn't do them well. So I'm in the progress of buying the best stories in hardcover. I think it's strange that an American created comic is more popular here in Europe than in America. Each Christmas they show the same Donald Duck cartoon, its a tradition. The announcer on TV actually says something like this "There is no Christmas without Donald Duck, so sit down and watch what Donald and his nephews do this year". Which is funny since they show the same cartoon every year, and it's awesome.
  • I can tell how worthless G4 is because they did the history of Prince of Persia, and they showed the inspiration behind the lifelike movements of the prince in the original game.

Now, on the internet, I think more people have seen that video than have seen the video back when it was shown on G4. I think that was about 3 years ago.
  • edited October 2008
    Yawaraka Sangokushi Tsukisase!! Ryofuko-chan.. [NSFW in a way so wrong.]
    *shudder..*Good god man, what were you thinking? Didn't you even look at the thumbnail!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • [NSFW in a way so wrong.]
    *shudder..*Good god man, what were you thinking? Didn't you even look at the thumbnail!
    Oh my fucking lord.
  • Yawaraka Sangokushi Tsukisase!! Ryofuko-chan..[NSFW in a way so wrong.]
    Maybe they are masochists.
  • Yawaraka Sangokushi Tsukisase!! Ryofuko-chan..[NSFW in a way so wrong.]
    Maybe they are masochists.
    Anime masochists.
  • Well, I think the reason they don't listen to me is because they like to accidentally watch bad shows. I had never heard of this one, though, for good reason.