This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Election!

Comments

• Who is up for a Skype Chat tonight as we watch the polling results?
    If someone can find a live feed on the Internet, I'll be on. I don't have a TV in the same room as my computer, so I need a feed.
  • CNN will probably have one, they have had feeds of all of the debates so it's a possibility.
  • I was in and out in five minutes this morning. One of the benefits of living in a rural community.
    Holy crap your back! I've missed you :-p

(taking a break from the polls to recharge my phone and check the webs. It's going well, though I am manning a republican-leaning ward.)
  • You guys DO realize there's more on the ballot than just the presidential race, right? There are plenty of other races his vote COULD matter for.
    Exactly! The real races are the local races.
  • Who is up for a Skype Chat tonight as we watch the polling results?
    If someone can find a live feed on the Internet, I'll be on. I don't have a TV in the same room as my computer, so I need a feed.
    I'm torn. I want to do this if there's an online feed...but at the same time, tomorrow is my birthday and I think the boyfriend is coming over tonight to ring it in. Don't think he'd appreciate me being glued to the computer screen when he didn't even vote. (YES, I tried to get him to. He's not registered in our county and he didn't have time to stand in line for early voting for 5 hours.)

• I think the boyfriend is coming over tonight to ring it in.
    You just broke the hearts of about half the forum members.

Happy Birthday.
  • I stood in line for an hour and a half last week, I'm wearing my "I Voted" sticker today anyway. The main question on the ballot here was whether to allow voting our judges in. I'm against it since it removes some of the tests and checks they go through when they get appointed.
    The Missouri side of the Metro is voting for/against starting up a Light Rail. I hope they pass it, as the pubic transit here in KC is currently only taxi and bus.
  • We just got back from voting and subsequently getting our free Starbucks coffee. In the voting line, we were behind a very nice older businesswoman who was playing word puzzles on a DS lite and in front of an older man who was wearing a Republicans For Voldemort tee.

It was pretty great.
  • edited November 2008
    We just got back from voting and subsequently getting our free Starbucks coffee. In the voting line, we were behind a very nice older businesswoman who was playing word puzzles on a DS lite and in front of an older man who was wearing aRepublicans For Voldemort tee.
    Where is this nerdvana?
    Post edited by Cramit on
  • We just got back from voting and subsequently getting our free Starbucks coffee. In the voting line, we were behind a very nice older businesswoman who was playing word puzzles on a DS lite and in front of an older man who was wearing aRepublicans For Voldemorttee.
    Where is this nerdvana?
    Haha! I'm currently residing in Rockville, MD. We're just north of Washington DC.
  • edited November 2008

You just broke the hearts of about half the forum members.

Happy Birthday.
    XD

Thanks Joe.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I just got back from voting, and have I got a story to tell. I've signed in and I'm on line waiting to go into the voting booth when this gentleman (and I use that term very loosely) starts to flip out. I'm pretty sure the gist of his ranting was that he's not sure if his voted counted or not.

Now, this could probably be easily handled, except that when the people who were there tried to help this guy to find out what happened and if the voted counted, he freaked out claiming that they were calling him stupid. "You calling me stupid? You think I'm too stupid to know how to vote?" and so on.

This went on for a few minutes until he was lead out of the room, into the hallway, where he continued to rant and rave. It was something about how this happens every time, even though as far as I know, these are new voting machines. He kept getting in those in charge's faces, asking, "So it is broken? Did it count? Do I vote again?" getting more and more agitated, not actually giving anyone a chance to try to actually determine what the problem was.

I don't know if he made a mistake in the booth, but I do know the booth wasn't broken, because that's the one I used and it worked just fine. I honestly don't know what set this guy off, but it definitely made the time waiting in line go faster. The whole thing was just surreal.
  • edited November 2008
    Quick! Someone print these out on sticker paper, go to your local polling place, and hand them out to everybody. I'm looking at you college kids!
    link
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2008
    Hey, I was just thinking. I'm a big fan of the mechanical voting machines where you pull the lever to open and close the curtain as well as register the votes you click. That's the kind of voting machine I've always used, and I hope they didn't get rid of them this year. The reason they are disappearing is because the company that makes and maintains them no longer exists. They are secure, simple, and accurate.

I was thinking that maybe someone could make machines just like these, that have the lever and everything. The only difference would be that even though the machines appear mechanical, they would actually tabulate the votes digitally to a few flash cards, for redundancy. There could be a computer on the backside for administration, and getting the counts out of it. Old school interface on new school hardware. Almost like a steampunk voting machine if you think about it, it just needs some extra styling instead of cold flat municipal-style steel.

Also, everyone talk about what kind of machine you voted with.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Also, everyone talk about what kind of machine you voted with.
    A pen and paper in a small, plastic, cubicle-like space. No machine, no privacy.
  • edited November 2008
    I'll be on Skype tonight.
    Edit: Oh, Gimmie a break! I was using my phone.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • This just in! I will not, in fact, have company tonight. I can sit in my craft/computer room in my underwear and stare at the constant feed from the tubes all night if I so wish! Should probably do dishes first though...

That said, I can totally be on Skype. Anybody recording this theoretical chat?
  • edited November 2008
    Were we supposed to receive a sticker for voting? I didn't get one : (
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • Were we supposed to get a sticker? I didn't get one : (
    Me neither. I know they were giving them out...I just sorta was in a hurry to get warm again. I'd been standing in the cold for 1.5 hours.
  • I was thinking of just using the IM on Skype, but maybe it could be a special edition of the GeekChat. Hint, hint, Sonic, hint, hint.
  • It could be like a special episode of "Hey, want to watch a movie?"...Except the movie is The American President and instead of Michael Douglas it's Barack Obama! (I hope)

Man, I wanna watch the Daily Show special tonight. I'm assuming they're having one...I just don't have TV. Stupid Cable company, wanting me to pay for Teevee. >_<
  • Comedy Central isn't going to stream it? I know they have all the episodes of the Daily Show and Colbert Report online.
  • Comedy Central isn't going to stream it? I know they have all the episodes of the Daily Show and Colbert Report online.
    They put them up the day after.
  • First polls have closed! Apparently looking pretty alright for Obama, but nobody is entirely sure as yet, it seems.

I probably won't be posting in this thread too much, I'm going down to Grant Park (not the official rally, unfortunately - I'm not that lucky. But I'll be in the area).
  • I just went and voted about an hour ago, and it seems Rochester is using those mechanical machines that Scott mentioned. This is the first time I've used one, and I found the process very straightforward.

It was great when I tried voting for the..I believe it was either the judge or the position before that, and the same guy is listed on every ticket. Yay democracy.

But, I'd be interested in doing a Geekchat if someone can find a live feed. I need to go make some dinner (I'm thinking pasta), but I'll be back soon-ish. If you guys start without me, someone please send me a text or a brief phone call. Thanks!
  • Just got home from voting (and getting yummy free coffee) myself. It was the touch screen voting comps. This was the case in MD anyway. I had to go back where I used to live to vote. Not too far though. Only an hour on the Metro and bus.

Skype chat eh? It's been awhile since I had time to be on one. I think I'll join a bit later since I gotta watch something to review.
  • Hooray, we also still have the old school mechanical lever machines. I hope they never go away. Also, we also had a judge running unopposed. I just chose not to vote in that column.

As usual I forgot to research the questions/referendums before going into the booth. It was something about amending a law to modify veteran's benefits in some way. I got in there and tried to read it, but realized it would have taken a good five minutes to figure out whether yes or no was the right answer. Rather than stay in there forever like an idiot, I just didn't vote on that either.

People, remind me next year to research the question.
  • "I'm voting for John McCain because Obama's going to abort my babies and then give the fetuses to terrorist A-Rabs then use those fetuses to redistribute my wealth."

Priceless.
  • Scott, this is why you (at the least) download the ballot the night before and read it.

The proposal was if you wanted to decouple the NY state veteran's disability benefits from requiring them to also have a recognized disability from the VA. Plus to update the language that refers to that federal department.
  • First polls have closed! Apparently looking pretty alright for Obama, but nobody is entirely sure as yet, it seems.

I probably won't be posting in this thread too much, I'm going down to Grant Park (not the official rally, unfortunately - I'm not that lucky. But I'll be in the area).
    I actually used to live right across the street from there at South Michigan Avenue. It's at the exact same place I saw Devo perform. I'm kinda glad I don't live there anymore, what with the crowds.