This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Election!

Comments

• Now the republicans will say that he doesn't have a mandate and that he should move to the center. Don't believe it. This election was a repudiation of everything the republicans stand for.
  • McCain concession speech in T-minus 2 minutes.
    Seeing everyone on camera at his rally is kinda sad. I want to laugh, but I don't want to rub it in.
  • Now the republicans will say that he doesn't have a mandate and that he should move to the center. Don't believe it. This election was a repudiation of everything the republicans stand for.
    That determination can not be made until we see the final vote counts. The popular vote is currently 51-49, not exactly a mandate.
  • Now all I need is Prop. 8 not to pass and I'm sure to have a most interesting conversation with some of the fundamentalist kids tomorrow.
    That determination can not be made until we see the final vote counts. The popular vote is currently 51-49, not exactly a mandate.
    Last I checked the popular vote means jack and shit, at least that's what 2000 taught me.
  • I am very happy right now.
  • I hope that the fact that Obama becoming president will change the negative reactions to African Americans bettering themselves like I encountered when living in lower income places. I know right now my old neighborhoods are celebrating and cheering. I'm so happy.
  • He beat McCain by more than twice as many electoral votes. GWB claimed a mandate with far less cause. Obama has a clear mandate.

Americans chose hope instead of fear.
  • He beat McCain by more than twice as many electoral votes. GWB claimed a mandate with far less cause. Obama has a clear mandate.

Americans chose hope instead of fear.
    He may have claimed one but he was never given one. 2000 was tainted by Florida and 2004 was not reported as deserving of a mandate. Obama has to do better than Bush did in 2004 to claim a mandate. Anything less will be questioned due to the way Bush was treated after he defeated Kerry.
  • McCain's concession speech is actually making him sound like a pretty classy dude. Palin better not open her mouth and say something stupid...
  • McCain just gave his concession speech. It was classy and much more like the McCain I heard so much about but that practically died throughout this campaign. However, the stupid crowd which starts to boo at the mention of Obama and some started to chant "Sarah"... just shaking my head there.
  • McCain's concession speech is actually making him sound like a pretty classy dude.
    QFT. It would have been classier if he'd acted like that the whole way through, of course.
  • CNN.com has called Florida for Obama.
  • edited November 2008
    He may have claimed one but he was never given one. 2000 was tainted by Florida and 2004 was not reported as deserving of a mandate. Obama has to do better than Bush did in 2004 to claim a mandate. Anything less will be questioned due to the way Bush was treated after he defeated Kerry.
    In case you can't count, he DID do better than GWB did in 2004.

Face it. You lost. Americans are no longer buying what you're selling.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • It was classy and much more like the McCain I heard so much about but that practically died throughout this campaign.
    John McCain's genius plan of not being John McCain was not a good move.
  • edited November 2008

However, I'm very worried that Chimpy is going to bomb Iran, get mixed up in that quagmire, and say, "Well, this is just the type of emergency we foresaw in the John Warner Defense Authorization Act, the National Presidential Security Directive, and the Homeland Security Directive. I can't allow elections to go forward until after the emergency has passed."

Of course, you'd probably think that's crazy because nothing like that has ever happened in any society in history.
    Crazy conspiracy theorist/alarmist.

I love you, Joe. Happy Election Day.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Victory is sweet. It's a shame that all of the bigots in my dorm are ruining my fun.
  • edited November 2008
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited November 2008
    Jason, to quote C.S. Lewis, I am surprised by joy.

Did you notice how President-elect Obama quoted Sam Cooke when he said "It's been a long time comin', but a change is gonna come"?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited November 2008
    Did you notice how President-elect Obama quoted Sam Cooke when he said "It's been a long time comin', but a change is gonna come"?
    Yeah! I started laughing, 'cause I knew you'd be all over that. I've had it playing on iTunes ever since he uttered it.

Also, C.S. Lewis? Really? Really? Jesus fucking Christ, Joe.

YES WE CAN!
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I did not think I would ever hear a speech like that outside of the West Wing.
  • That speech will be in history books.
  • That speech will be in history books.
    I think it's amazing that something like this happened in my lifetime.
  • I did not think I would ever hear a speech like that outside of the West Wing.
    Huh, I was just thinking that as well.
    Bartlett Barack for America.
  • Victory is sweet. It's a shame that all of the bigots in my dorm are ruining my fun.
    How so?
    That's what I used.
    This is my new wallpaper.
    BartlettBarack for America.
    Let Obama be Obama