This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Election!

Comments

• Oh my, I seemed to have dropped something.
    I honestly think that shows more of the social and educational discrepancies that make the IQ test fairly invalid for testings raw intelligence than it does about the intelligence of voters. Just to be fair.
  • True. I'm not saying that stupid people vote for McCain or anything. It's just that, on first blush, it's a bit funny.
    And even if IQ tests were valid, 113 is so much above the baseline that it really matters.
  • True. I'm not saying that stupid people vote for McCain or anything. It's just that, on first blush, it's a bit funny.
    And even if IQ tests were valid, 113 is so much above the baseline that it really matters.
    Where are they pulling those stats on the IQ test from?
  • 113 is actually almost a full standard deviation from the average.
  • Go Maryland! Number 7!
  • YAYAYAY!

I was quite happy last night (I drove 20 minutes to watch the evening with some friend on cable.) Then I got home and my boyfriend called, and we ended up discussing the election. I just have to say I am SO glad he ended up not voting. His reasons for being unhappy about Obama as president are summed up in the following:

*I saw this picture of Obama standing with some other people on a stage. The rest of them had their hand over their hearts, but he didn't! If he can't salute the flag, he should NOT be president.

*...He wouldn't say the pledge of allegiance because it had the words "under God" in it. If I recall correctly, he's a muslim.

...Are you kidding me? The basis of his political opinion is solely "I heard this somewhere." He saw a picture on the internet and got so upset he doesn't think the man should be president? He SERIOUSLY believes the man is a muslim? Still?

Have I mentioned I'm glad he didn't vote now?

Luckily it looks like the people who believed this tripe were set off by the black people who voted for Obama just because he was black. I'm glad he won...I think he won for mostly the right reasons. But there are still those ignorant fools out there that I want to smack for their uninformed voting.
  • edited November 2008
    wow, you guys must have great sex.... to deal with that intellect.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Here's something else I want to draw attention to.

The Democratic party will have to make very few compromises to pass legislation through the senate. The Republican party is on the rocks, and may never again resemble the party of Teddy Roosevelt. This may seem great for people who agree with the Democratic party platform.

But as great as it may seem, be wary. The only thing worse than a two party system is a one party system. I see a chance that the US could quickly end up like Japan where the LDP had effectively complete control for over 50 years, losing some of that control only recently. An election with one major party is as much of a farce as a rigged election. Without any valid competition, politicians will have no fear of losing their jobs. I don't think I need to explain why this is a bad thing.

Even if people you agree with 100% have complete and utter control of government, a lack of real opposition will be extremely harmful to the political fabric.
  • But as great as it may seem, be wary. The only thing worse than a two party system is a one party system.
    I'd be wary for a different reason. The gridlock benefited both parties. They had someone to point a finger at. Now, the Democrats are all on their own. It's put up or shut up. If they do well, then they win. If they don't, then the Republicans will come back strong. Given the state of the economy, Obama's got his work cut out for him.
  • edited November 2008
    Scott, I believe that it is a false comparison between the Japanese LDP and the American two party system. They are a myriad of differences that set them apart. I was just going through my old Japanese Politics notes, I can lend you some of the papers I wrote.

Besides, If the democrats start doing poorly, then they will get booted by some other party. Where are the Federalists now? Parties come and go, but there will always be some sort of opposition.

Also: Nuri, your boyfriend is nice and all, but seriously some of the stuff he says is *sweatdrop*
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I'm actually excited about the prospect of the more centrist/leftist elements having control. Let them try all of their ideas fully, instead of having to go half-way on everything. If they succeed, we've made our nation a better place. If they fail, we've learned what doesn't work, and the opposition will take over next time around.

The right had its era, and the people have decided that it failed. Let's see what the middle can do.

(Sadly, American politics are essentially the "right" on one side, and the "slightly right of center" at the other end of the spectrum. True leftists and true liberals haven't had significant political power in a long, long time. I would even consider Obama to be a centrist).
  • I would even consider Obama to be a centrist
    Correctly so.
  • (Sadly, American politics are essentially the "right" on one side, and the "slightly right of center" at the other end of the spectrum. True leftists and true liberals haven't had significant political power in a long, long time. I would even consider Obama to be a centrist).
    A quick Google image search later...
  • A quick Google image search later...
    People in the purple and red areas are fully justified in not voting.
  • A quick Google image search later...
    People in the purple and red areas are fully justified in not voting.
    Oh hush you.
  • People in the purple and red areas are fully justified in not voting.
    So, Stalinist communists and free-market neo-liberal anarchists? ^_~
  • People in the purple and red areas are fully justified in not voting.
    So, Stalinist communists and free-market neo-liberal anarchists? ^_~
    Stalin was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the corner. The party I voted for in our national elections was originally the communist party. It has since dropped down and slid to the right a bit. My mom was, basically, "Oh my!", but it's just like the US Republican party, it's no longer what it originally was. I can't find a recent Dutch political compass sadly. :(
    edited November 2008
    Sorry, international friends. It's a Hulu link.
    While I wish to smack you for posting a Hulu link, you get points for telling us, and
    Voting machine DRE700 came out of nowhere to defeat Barack Obama and John McCain and become the first machine president.
    already sounds hilarious enough to click the link and see the disappointing message.

EDIT: Youtube version.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited November 2008
    No kidding guys. Seriously, this could be a dealbreaker. (Despite the great sex, ScoJo. :P) Only reason I'm sort of okay with it right now is that he KNEW that he was ignorant and didn't vote, and was willing to discuss it and admit that he didn't know the facts. But he was still vehement about the saluting-the-flag thing. Yes, I'll base my vote for president on the way a man stands...>_<;;;

Can I vent for just a sec? I need to find a BF that doesn't have a critical flaw. Like being a creationist or being a stubbornly ignorant OCD pain in the ass. ARGH! Okay, done.

And Scott is right...we've gotta ride Obama's ass just as hard as we rode Bush's. And watch those Democrats...a huge majority is not necessarily a good thing. I personally am disappointed the Republican didn't win Governor in my state. He was by far the better candidate. A lot of people here voted straight ticket and did little/no research.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • There were two extra initiatives on the ballot in CT. I know the Constitutional Convention one failed but did the one allowing people who will be 18 on Nov 4 be able to vote in the primaries pass?
  • So, there's still an estimated 3 million mail-in ballots that haven't been counted yet here in California. According to CNN.com, killing Prop 8 will take less than 1/6 of those. Perhaps my fellow Californians can yet restore my faith in them.
  • Can I vent for just a sec? I need to find a BF that doesn't have a critical flaw. Like being a creationist or being a stubbornly ignorant OCD pain in the ass. ARGH! Okay, done.
    Lower your standards. It's the key to happiness. That, and drinking.
  • edited November 2008
    So, there's still an estimated 3 million mail-in ballots that haven't been counted yet here in California. According toCNN.com, killing Prop 8 will take less than 1/6 of those. Perhaps my fellow Californians can yet restore my faith in them.
    Let's hope. That's the only thing they're really able to point to as a victory. In fact, some of them are saying that Prop 8 is an indication that "conservatism was not defeated".

That's what they're going to be doing in the next few cycles - trying to take away the victory by saying that McCain just wasn't conservative enough, or that Obama didn't win by enough, or that GWB was an appeaser, or some other such nonsense.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Posted By: NuriCan I vent for just a sec? I need to find a BF that doesn't have a critical flaw. Like being a creationist or being a stubbornly ignorant OCD pain in the ass. ARGH! Okay, done. Find someone you love so much that their flaws don't even matter.
  • edited November 2008
    Here's something else I want to draw attention to.

The Democratic party will have to make very few compromises to pass legislation through the senate. The Republican party is on the rocks, and may never again resemble the party of Teddy Roosevelt. This may seem great for people who agree with the Democratic party platform.

But as great as it may seem, be wary. The only thing worse than a two party system is a one party system. I see a chance that the US could quickly end up like Japan where the LDP had effectively complete control for over 50 years, losing some of that control only recently. An election with one major party is as much of a farce as a rigged election. Without any valid competition, politicians will have no fear of losing their jobs. I don't think I need to explain why this is a bad thing.

Even if people you agree with 100% have complete and utter control of government, a lack of real opposition will be extremely harmful to the political fabric.
    We're not going to end up with a one party system. Remember, 6 years ago Republicans were talking about a permanent majority - that's how fast things change in American politics. The main thing for Democrats to worry about is getting over-confident and abusing power. It's what happened to the Republicans. Democrats need to remember why they went to Washington.
    Post edited by rhinocero on
  • edited November 2008
    Find someone you love so much that their flaws don't even matter.
    Better still, find someone whose flaws you love (presumably along with everything else).
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • And Scott is right...we've gotta ride Obama's ass just as hard as we rode Bush's. And watch those Democrats...a huge majority is not necessarily a good thing. I personally am disappointed the Republican didn't win Governor in my state. He was by far the better candidate. A lot of people here voted straight ticket and did little/no research.
    This happened in my state too, I have little respect for these people. If they introduce a graduated income tax I am going to be pissed!
  • If they introduce a graduated income tax I am going to be pissed!
    Why? How much money do you make?