This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Kate, as our most prominent Feminist-in-residence, I shall need your help to comment upon this statement by Kevin Rudd, Australia's PM.

For those who either don't want to, or need some incentive to follow the link, He's the story in brief. Kevin Rudd is chatting semi-informally to a journalist for the Sydney Morning Herald, among others in a small group(though probably wasn't aware she was a journalist) and speaks his mind. Here is the relevant paragraph from the article the young woman wrote.
    At that point one of my friends introduced me, dropping in that I am completing a PhD. At this, Rudd rolled his eyes and in a terse voice lacking any sense of irony remarked that is the "excuse" that "all" young women are using nowadays to avoid starting families.
    On a rather dispassionate note, I'm not entirely sure that this woman will keep her job much longer. The Rudd Government showed early on, when a journalist made public speculation, of which he made entirely clear was fictional and absolutely his imaginings, on the occurrences of Rudd's famous Strip club visit in New York, that they were definitely not adverse to leaning on Journalists who criticize them or make fools of them, or Rudd in particular, in what they deem to be an unacceptable fashion.

That's right. We as a nation have elected the fucking Smiler as our prime minister.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That's right. We as a nation have elected the fucking Smiler as our prime minister.
    I love Transmet.

I hate when Transmet becomes reality and I have to rethink my choice of places to expatriate to.
  • These people can vote. THESE PEOPLE CAN VOTE!
    Those people are actors!
  • That's right. We as a nation have elected the fucking Smiler as our prime minister.
    You know, that does make a lot of sense. I could definitely see John Howard as the Beast.
  • Those people are actors!
    Yeah, that video was way too clever and silly to be real.
  • edited February 2010
    That's right. We as a nation have elected the fucking Smiler as our prime minister.
    You know, that does make a lot of sense. I could definitely see John Howard as the Beast.
    The Beast and The Smiler are among my favorite villains of all time, simply because they're so REAL in how evil they are.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Derp derp derp - I forgot to mention why I need kate's help to comment on this - because my only response is inarticulate rage. If I'd have been there in person, ASIO and Prison be damned, I'd have punched him in his grinning face and made a speech about it.
  • *ears bleeding* SAIL!
  • Sail, y u do dis?
  • Sail, y u do dis?
    WindUpBird, why did you do this?!
  • edited February 2010
    @ Churba: Part of me really hopes that PM Rudd was making a joke, but even if he was, it was both offensive and demeaning. I did a quick search and it appears this is not the first time PM Rudd was accused of sexist policies, remarks, or behavior. However, I am simply too ignorant of the situations to make any sort of determination. I've read up - just now - to learn more about him and it seems that he is more conservative than my taste (particularly for a Labor Party leader) and he seems to cling quite closely to certain aspects of the "traditional" family which he sees tied in with his former Catholic and now purportedly Anglican faith.
    I can certainly understand your rage, but - for once - I can't muster any myself over this issue. For whatever reason, he was selected and supported by the people to hold his position of power. I hope that watchdog and activist groups along with members of his party, the opposing party, and the Australian people can keep him in check, but he isn't a dictator or a despot.
    It is concerning that men or women in such seats of power could 1) view women as walking incubators and 2) be so dismissive of any in their population seeking higher education. Possibly my rage over this situation just seems muted compared to my outrage over his censorship policies (which include censoring images of women with small breasts on the internet because they supposedly excite pedophiles -WTF?).

This related article is rather enlightening and deeply frightening (if it is in any way factual).

@ ScoJo: I only watched the video part way because the stupid hurt. I missed the parody aspect.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I missed the parody aspect.
    HOW!?!?
  • I missed the parody aspect.
    HOW!?!?
    I only watched it part way and I have met a lot of LARPers that would likely do that sort of thing.
  • Is anybody else having a problem getting the CSS file for the forums to load?
  • edited February 2010
    It is concerning that men or women in such seats of power could 1) view women as walking incubators and 2) be so dismissive of any in their population seeking higher education. Possibly my rage over this situation just seems muted compared to my outrage over his censorship policies (which include censoring images of women with small breasts on the internet because they supposedly excite pedophiles -WTF?).
    This, from the guy who promised an "education revolution".
    As time passes I take consolation from the fact that I voted against the bastard.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • My Illustration Project (the one in the Art Attack 2 thread) didn't go over as well as I hoped it was going to.
  • My Illustration Project (the one in the Art Attack 2 thread) didn't go over as well as I hoped it was going to.
    What was said?
  • What was said?
    Too middle gray, not enough definition in the rock person, and some of the bubbles were too eye-catching. I was praised for having a great concept and executing it, but there was no appreciation to the line quality in the rock work, which took me a full third of the time I worked on the project for.
  • edited February 2010
    Further Government Censorship Douchebaggery, though we should expect it from the oozing pustule of a punchline that is Berlusconi.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Further Government Censorship Douchebaggery, though we should expect it from the oozing pustule of a punchline that is Berlusconi.
    Come on, Italy. I love you so much, but seriously, get with the fucking times.
  • Part of me really hopes that PM Rudd was making a joke, but even if he was, it was both offensive and demeaning.
    He really wasn't. He's had problems not getting deadpan humor before, and has never been heard in public to make a deadpan joke, and as the article states, there was no irony or frivolity in his voice.
  • This shit really gets my goat. All the news networks are ratcheting up the fear with this Toyota unintended acceleration story. They've all completely glossed over the fact that almost all these accidents were preventable had the driver reacted appropriately. I mean the fact that these things happened is tragic, but cars have never been 100% and people need to accept some fucking responsibility. Your car failed and then YOU FUCKED UP! It's not Toyota's fault you can't handle an emergency.
  • Sail,y udodis?
    WindUpBird, why did you do this?!
    It's a meme.
    This shit really gets my goat.All the news networks are ratcheting up the fear with this Toyota unintended acceleration story. They've all completely glossed over the fact that almost all these accidents were preventable had the driver reacted appropriately. I mean the fact that these things happened is tragic, but cars have never been 100% and people need to accept some fucking responsibility. Your car failed and then YOU FUCKED UP! It's not Toyota's fault you can't handle an emergency.
    People don't seem to get that it's not just Toyotas that act like that. A family member of mine had it happen twice, in a Jaguar.

Machines are only as perfect as the people who build them. Nine, build us some fucking cars.
  • They've all completely glossed over the fact that almost all these accidents were preventable had the driver reacted appropriately.
    Neutral exists for a reason.
  • Would this be a good time to pick up a second hand Prius?
  • edited February 2010
    You know what's amazing too is that look at the first few pics of the Prius crash. She crashed a car at like 90 mph and walked away. The engineers deserve some praise for building such a safe car.
    Would this be a good time to pick up a second hand Prius?
    Only if you can find neutral.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • oooh. I head Tesla was going out of business. That sucks. I want me a 2nd gen Tesla Roadster.
  • Hmm, that's true, now is definitely a good time to buy a Toyota. It might be a pretty good time to buy Toyota stock in the market game, too.
  • Nine, build us some fucking cars.
    WHAT?! I'm not going to use the money I make from making car manufacturers make imperfect cars on making perfect cars. That would cost too much! And I wouldn't make half as much if I were to do so. Besides, we humans need to help nature a bit with the whole natural selection thing now that we've basically surpassed it because of sheer numbers. I might allow one to make a single perfect car, but only if they sell it to me and will service it for life.