This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• It might be a pretty good time to buy Toyota stock in the market game, too.
    That's a tricky thing, cause Toyota has handled this in pretty much the worst way possible. They may ruin their entire reputation in the US.
  • I might allow one to make a single perfect car, but only if they sell it to me and will service it for life.
    It wouldn't need servicing, though, right?
    It might be a pretty good time to buy Toyota stock in the market game, too.
    That's a tricky thing, cause Toyota has handled this in pretty much the worst way possible. They may ruin their entire reputation in the US.
    Yeah, that's why I went with "might". I don't know enough about the issue to make a prediction.
  • I might be utterly fucked on my exam tomorrow.

I got out of class today thinking I'd be okay. I ran through practice exams and I realized my chances are akin to those of a snowball's in hell...I'm teetering on the verge of a complete panic attack.
  • What exam is this?
  • edited February 2010
    What exam is this?
    Calculus...

I've had a perfect storm of conditions in regards to prepping for my exams this week. I was pretty to really sick all of last week and over the weekend, and last night I wound up with a migraine as I was scheduled to go to a calc review session.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I realized my chances are akin to those of a snowball's in hell...
    Hasn't hell supposedly frozen over many times by now? Surely a snowball stands a decent chance in hell if it just times its presence right.
  • Hasn't hell supposedly frozen over many times by now? Surely a snowball stands a decent chance in hell if it just times its presence right.
    In this case, that would involve 80% of the test being about integration by parts and trig substitution and integration.

FUCK. I'm going to have to wake up at eight and hope my TA's office hours can save me.
  • Paradise Lost Hell is really cold. Hope your snowball ends up in that one, man.
  • Hasn't hell supposedly frozen over many times by now? Surely a snowball stands a decent chance in hell if it just times its presence right.
    In this case, that would involve 80% of the test being about integration by parts and trig substitution and integration.

FUCK. I'm going to have to wake up at eight and hope my TA's office hours can save me.
    What are the parts you don't get?
  • edited February 2010
    I don't expect you guys to be able to help me through all of it in the next three hours, but it's largely improper integrals, partial fractions where the decomposition of the denominator has no real roots, and some various integrals of trig functions. I can do a lot of the easier problems involving these, but past a certain point I'm over a barrel. Take this, for instance:

I was rather perplexed.

EDIT: I'm running over the answers to these practice exams; it appears that most of my mistakes are a result of not seeing some basic stuff. Back to the notes.
  • Just remember, sine squared of u plus cosine squared of u is equal to 1.
    Cosine to the fourth of theta can then be expressed as cosine squared of theta plus cosine squared of theta times sine squared of theta.
  • edited February 2010
    EDIT: I'm running over the answers to these practice exams; it appears that most of my mistakes are a result of not seeing some basic stuff. Back to the notes.
    Yeah, it's all in the trigonometric identities. Here's an example of using the identity \cos^2\theta = \frac{1+\cos 2\theta}{2} to derive an expression for \cos^4\theta
    You ought to be able to integrate this.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I got through it after realizing that I just needed to square the half-angle identity. I'm feeling a bit better, not tremendously though. I'm still nervous.

Excess fail icing: I was not informed that DDR3 at 1600MHz was not compatible with the i5 750. Time for an RMA. FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
  • I got through it after realizing that I just needed to square the half-angle identity. I'm feeling a bit better, not tremendously though. I'm still nervous.
    Good luck. Feel free to ask further questions while people are still awake.
  • Good luck. Feel free to ask further questions while people are still awake.
    Thanks. I'm going to see my TA for an hour and a half tomorrow morning, so hopefully it'll all work out.
  • Aagh! The math, it burns!
  • And people wonder why I hated Algebra2/Trig./Calc in high school.
    No, Adam, no one wonders that at all.
    Man, I miss that shit in a big way.
  • Man, I miss that shit in a big way.
    I always liked math classes. I only disliked repetitive busy-work homework. I actually convinced a teacher to assign only one problem that demonstrated a given concept and only assign more problems on that given concept to those that couldn't successfully complete the first problem.
  • Pete, you are needed.
    Quick, someone shine the Giant salmonella silhouette on the clouds.
  • edited February 2010
    Pete, you are needed.
    That article is spot on. Expiration dates, sell by dates, and all those things, are good estimates of shelf life, but they're not gospel. Milk can spoil 2 days before its expiration date or be fine for a week after. There are also absolutely no legal consequences to those dates, at least in New York. They're guidelines for consumers and retailers.

The only way to know if something is spoiled is to smell it, look at it, or taste it. If it smells funny, throw it out. Seriously. That's it. Spoilage is based partly on the native microbial load of the food, and partly on the way it is handled and stored.

It's also worth noting that many foodborne pathogens do not need to be the cause of obvious spoilage in order to make you ill. A very small dose, less than 12 cells, of E. coli O157:H7 is sufficient to cause a severe illness, and those 12 cells will never cause apparent spoilage. Listeria monocytogenes never causes any obvious spoilage, and the severe illness it causes has a 20 - 30% mortality rate.

So, no, dates on food don't really mean much at all.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • So, no, dates on food don't really mean much at all.
    Food security theater?
  • edited February 2010
    And I thought the video game industry could follow Steam's lead or at least try some kind of attempt at responsibility.
    In short, you need to stay connected to the internet in order to play the single player PC version of Assassins Creed 2
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited February 2010
    I made Andes Mint Cookies and now have a tummy ache from eating too much. >.<

Also going on Day 5 of being without my computer. This is really starting to annoy me.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited February 2010
    Thermochem exam tomorrow. I'm more prepared than I was for calc, but not by loads. Luckily, these are curved. Usually heavily.

This is the week from hell. I have classes and exams from 11a-8p tomorrow, and then I need to prepare a chem lab and study for a philosophy quiz, and then wake up at 8a Friday morning. I also need to find an apartment this weekend.

A Rage comic would go well here.
  • An old friend of mine from the Scouts just attempted to Add me to his As-Of-yet unborn Fetus's facebook profile. AH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA fuckno.

1)That's fucking creepy, dude.
    2)Your unborn fetus doesn't need a facebook profile, Jackass. At least wait until it's born, or even better, it can decide if it wants a facebook profile for itself.

Seriously, if this kid ends up educated, not on the Dole, and contributes anything meaningful to society, I'll be astounded.
  • Seriously, if this kid ends up educated, not on the Dole, and contributes anything meaningful to society, I'll be astounded.
    All I know is that I will be paying for it...