This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Seems like a bad idea, as there are already plenty of charters in the Boston area. The money would be better spent on existing public schools, IMHO.

But, I'm also not familiar with the quality of the Boston schools.
  • To compound things, the city has been slashing the education budget for some years now. They already don't give the schools enough money to replace faulty equipment and have gone on staff cuts across the board. Boston Latin would've been broke were it not for our Alumni organization -- and the restrictions on what we can and can't spend Alumn money on keeps certain things broken.

I don't know much about Boston politics, but I know a lot about BPS.
  • Holy shit this is the biggest fail.

I was at Metatopia, a convention for game designers and game testing. I brought my microphone with me to record my playests.

I tested the microphone just before my first game. Opened audacity, set it up, got sound checks from around the table, then broke it down to move to my actual table to start the game. I was using my laptop for notes and my rules.

Little did I know; when you unplug your microphone, audacity defaults back to the laptop microphone.

I have eight fucking hours of my own fucking voice.

Fuck.
  • This is why you use Audition. ;)

It has specific UX around what interface you're using, warns you every time the list of available devices changes, etc...
  • Lesson fucking learned.
  • My daily commute for the majority of this week has and will be 300 miles...
  • The election.
  • Yesterday. Just all of it.
  • I'm getting a divorce...
  • edited November 2016

I'm getting a divorce...

Shit man, I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences, I'm so sorry.
    Post edited by Churba on

Dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Wow. That's rough. I'm really sorry, dude.
  • You have my greatest sympathies.
  • Thanks... I appreciate the sympathy... So far it's amicable, but it's still not fun. :(

:(

• This is what "all lab reports are due at midnight" looks like:
  • I'm pretty like 99% sure that my Mum's (the family's) 19 year old female cat has a sarcoma (very malignant / aggressive cancer) at the skin level which is right over the top of the saphenous vein. This means she probably already has had it spread to lungs, spleen and liver.

Pretty annoying since I've managed her heart condition since she was 8, but it was bound to happen.

Palliative care till euthanasia, it's weird not knowing, could be 2 months, could be more than 12, weird not knowing. She seems super happy still but has lost 600g. I think my male cat will miss her more than anyone as he's never been without her since our family got them.
    Ikatono said:

This is what "all lab reports are due at midnight" looks like

Coke, Adderall and music?
    Sounds like a productive environment!
  • I ate a cheap hotdog that burn my mouth so bad I have blisters all over it making it hard to talk, which is difficult for my job. It also gave me food poisoning.
  • A student brought vodka in a water bottle and another blue alcoholic drink in a blue Gatorade bottle in to school and gave it to at least eight other students. It was very, very obvious. we're going scorched earth on drink containers now. Factory sealed or nothing, period. It's going to make bag searches take sooooooooo looooooooong in the mornings now.
  • A student brought vodka in a water bottle and another blue alcoholic drink in a blue Gatorade bottle in to school and gave it to at least eight other students. It was very, very obvious. we're going scorched earth on drink containers now. Factory sealed or nothing, period. It's going to make bag searches take sooooooooo looooooooong in the mornings now.

Kids amirite?

But seriously fuck kids.

Even looking back at who I was in high school I'm like fuck that guy.
  • These were 7th/8th graders.
  • That's a little more concerning, but also having bag searches in Jr. High seems highly distressing.

Again, fuck kids.
  • I'm always terrified of the amount of security schools have. One of the reasons I stayed at BLS was that every other school I was offered had metal detectors. I didn't want to be subject to an administration that distrusted its student population that much, or part of a student population that couldn't be trusted like that. At BLS we had literally no security besides Officer Manny at the door, sitting behind a desk reading. At the beginning of 2013 we installed a buzzer, but that was just to keep my friend David out. Never heard of anyone being turned down there.
  • Do they really search your anything ever? Throughout my pre-college carrier I never had anything searched once. Locker (never used), backpack (contained my life), car (later), none of them ever. I would have flipped the fuck out had anyone tried as well. Younger me was a hot head with little regard for his own safety. I guess I'm glad nobody tried.
  • Greg said:

I'm always terrified of the amount of security schools have. One of the reasons I stayed at BLS was that every other school I was offered had metal detectors. I didn't want to be subject to an administration that distrusted its student population that much, or part of a student population that couldn't be trusted like that. At BLS we had literally no security besides Officer Manny at the door, sitting behind a desk reading. At the beginning of 2013 we installed a buzzer, but that was just to keep my friend David out. Never heard of anyone being turned down there.

What was up with David?
  • Well some girl in hugh school puked on me during art class after smuggling vodka in a water bottle so... screw them for trying that junk.

We didn't even start drawing yet so it couldn't have been in reaction to seeing my work.
  • Greg said:

I'm always terrified of the amount of security schools have. One of the reasons I stayed at BLS was that every other school I was offered had metal detectors. I didn't want to be subject to an administration that distrusted its student population that much, or part of a student population that couldn't be trusted like that. At BLS we had literally no security besides Officer Manny at the door, sitting behind a desk reading. At the beginning of 2013 we installed a buzzer, but that was just to keep my friend David out. Never heard of anyone being turned down there.

What was up with David?
    Yeah I was sorta thinking that too.
  • My high school had zero security. It had big wings with many external doors, and all were open. Everyone came in the morning at any point between when the doors were unlocked at 6am and when the first class started at 7:30. The only rule was you had to convene in the cafeteria and weren't allowed to walk any halls (unless you were directly en route to the cafeteria).

Anyone in the band could go to the band hall instead, as could anyone in the science AP classes who had a private lounge in the science wing.

We'd walk outside between classes: faster than going through the halls. There was one security guard for the whole school.

After columbine, they locked the exterior doors during the day (we broke the locks on a few specific ones to retain our outdoor access: they never fixed them and the knowledge of which specific doors couldn't be locked was a well kept secret). They also only let people enter the school in the morning though one door, straight to the cafeteria. (Unless you were band/science: they had additional doors as before).