This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime Insider's 50 Best

2»

Comments

edited November 2008
    Now and Then, Here and There; heard of it, but haven't looked much into that one yet
    I've watched the first episode (it's one of those I have ready to watch), I liked it.

Anyways, I looked up Urusei Yatsura and Saikano. Add the former to the don't want to watch and the latter to want to watch.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Anyways, I looked up Uresai Yatsura and Saikano. Add the former to the don't want to watch and the latter to want to watch.
    That is backwards! Watch Lum, don't watch Saikano.
  • Whatchutakinabout Nine? Urusei Yatsura is Awesome!
    • Sudden Girlfriend Appearance
    • Violent retribution for accidental infringement
    Not to mention, the main character is an alien in a tiger skin bikini. I say no thanks. There are shows on that list that I haven't watched that sound much better.
    • Sudden Girlfriend Appearance
    • Violent retribution for accidental infringement
    Not to mention, the main character is an alien in a tiger skin bikini. I say no thanks. There are shows on that list that I haven't watched that sound much better.
    One, the main character is largely Ataru, not Lum. Two, this is an important and, I must say, hilarious show. Someone once called Ranma "Urusei Yatsura with training wheels."

The show is not what you think it is. It's mostly Japanese cultural humor and farce parody. I find it brilliant.
  • No seriously, it is all about funny Japanese folklore. If you like Ranma, you would like Urusei Yatsura.
  • No seriously, it is all about funny Japanese folklore. If you like Ranma, you would like Urusei Yatsura.
    I don't like Ranma. Also, it falls under the "anime I don't really want to watch" list, which is largely based on first impressions and interest in the plot.
  • Anyways, I looked up Uresai Yatsura and Saikano. Add the former to the don't want to watch and the latter to want to watch.
    That is backwards! Watch Lum, don't watch Saikano.
    I'd say watch both. I remember liking Saikano well enough when my anime club marathoned it. I cried at the end. :'(
  • Saikano is a bag of overly dramatic wank. The Sci-fi evil twist is pretty cool though. The story would have worked better as a one shot Twilight Zone episode.
  • Saikano may be dramatic wank but it's awesome dramatic wank. Also, it has sci fi. I deem it awesome!
  • I think a Porco Rosso episode is in order... anyone agree?
  • I think a Porco Rosso episode is in order... anyone agree?
    Absolutely. Porco Rosso is my favorite Ghibli film ever.
  • Hmmm, own 2, seen 20 all the way, and another 11 partially. Heard of a few more, and then there are some I've never heard of at all. But then, I've largely stopped watching anime for awhile.

Also, Read or Die was robbed. 33???
  • Am I the only one that thinks Trigun should have made it a little higher then 34? Though I admit Trigun was the first real anime I ever watched beyond DBZ so it has a special place in my heart. I may be biased.
  • Wow, Of the list I only haven't seen Kino's Journey, Haibane Renmei and fantastic Children, though I can't say I've seen all of the eps of some of those shows.

I don't feel "Night on the Galactic Railroad" should be on the list, it was terrible.

Now and Then, Here and there should be watched by everyone... on the planet!
  • Haibane Renmei
    Dude, I have the box set if you want to borrow it.
  • seen 32, heard of all but two.
    I don't feel "Night on the Galactic Railroad" should be on the list, it was terrible.
    Any other opinion?
    It's on my "to see" list, and I don't want to waste my time.
    Now and Then, Here and there should be watched by everyone... on the planet!
    Only first six episodes, and feel free to watch only the last five minutes of the first episode. These are amazing five episodes.

• Any other opinion?
    It's on my "to see" list, and I don't want to waste my time.
    It's super famous, and it's a classic. However, it is slow, and people with short attention spans will not like it. I enjoy long quiet scenes in outer space. Other people suck, and can'
    t deal with it.
  • Night on the Galactic Railroad
    I liked it, but it is very slow and artsy film. If you don't mind watching anthro-cats talking philosophically about the meaning of life, this is for you. Scojo does not appreciate classic Japanese literature.
  • I liked it, but it is very slow and artsy film. If you don't mind watching anthro-cats talking philosophically about the meaning of life, this is for you. Scojo does not appreciate classic Japanese literature.
    It could be that Rubin insisted on watching it at like 1 am which is never the time to watch a slow ponderous movie that doesn't really go anywhere..
  • OMG why iz naruto on list its like teh gretst show EVAR!

But seriously, I have heard of all of them and have seen around 20 of them.
  • It could be that Rubin insisted on watching it at like 1 am which is never the time to watch a slow ponderous movie that doesn't really go anywhere..
    1am is the best time for slow ponderous quiet space movies!
  • It could be that Rubin insisted on watching it at like 1 am which is never the time to watch a slow ponderous movie that doesn't really go anywhere..
    1am is the best time for slow ponderous quiet space movies!
    Agreed, but it probably depends your disposition and sleep schedule.