This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Great Expectations

2»

Comments

• He got the nation back on its feet after one of the worst events in the whole of American history.
    I'm going to assume you mean the September 11th attacks. The ones that he let happen. But, please, humour us. What exactly did he do to get the nation "back on its feet"?
  • This book sucked!!! Don't read it if you wanted to be bored to death!
    But I do agree that Obama has some huge expectations to live up to.
  • edited November 2008
    My biggest concern for Obama is that some southern racists will shoot him and all hell will break lose; and you thought the Watts and Detroit riot where bad. the Secret Service is going to have a lot of work for the next 8 years.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • He got the nation back on its feet after one of the worst events in the whole of American history.
    No he didn't, the nation got up by itself despite his efforts to keep it down with fear and bullying.
  • To be honest, I don't hate Bush either - and I know I'll get slammed for this, but I also think he's a rather intelligent man. He's an absolutely useless president, and has done far more harm than good - but I don't hate the guy, nor do I buy into what everyone says about him being stupid.
  • I tend to agree with Churba. You can't be that dumb and be president for 8 years. I think President Bush is smarter than he lets on.
  • My biggest concern for Obama is that some southern racists will shoot him and all hell will break lose; and you thought the Watts and Detroit riot where bad. the Secret Service is going to have a lot of work for the next 8 years.
    Racists exist outside of the South. I'd be much more concerned about all the crazy racist guys with a million guns in the Midwest.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2008
    I'd be much more concerned about all the crazy racist guys with a million guns in the Midwest.
    Having grown up within striking distance of the Michigan Militia, I can say that they're less racist and more ultra-patriotic conspiracy-theory-loving NATO-fearing paranoid survivalists than they are racists.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • 3. International relations - Obama's years will be characterized by relative withdrawal from the global community because:
    a. The public won’t allow partaking in another military conflict.
    b. The government will attempt to reduce the budget, which will lead to reduce foreign investments.
    c. No funds - no Kyoto Protocol. The government will push to finding alternative energy resources, but this effort won't be any different from those who came before him.
    I think you've got it backwards: Obama's years will be characterized by increased involvement in the global community (read: ending the "go-it-alone" attitude), exactly for all those reasons you mentioned. We simply don't have the capital to go it alone anymore, so we will need the help of our friends and allies, the same ones that have incredible support for Obama right now. I think it's more likely that we'll see America be a player in the world, and less of a coach.
  • Heh. I'm cool with the no Kyoto Protocol part. That protocol sucked, and many of the countries participating are already in breach. When they present us with a feasible agreement, then we can consider it.

I also notice that "shit gets a lot worse" wasn't predicted, so I could live with that.
  • I'd be much more concerned about all the crazy racist guys with a million guns in the Midwest.
    Having grown up within striking distance of the Michigan Militia, I can say that they're less racist and more ultra-patriotic conspiracy-theory-loving NATO-fearing paranoid survivalists than they are racists.
    Maybe, but I've met tons of guys who absolutely HATE Obama because he's black and would probably shoot him if they could.
  • That's very sad.