This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Youtube video you have made

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I'm personally not too fond of having my picture on my card.
    I should hope not. :)
    Well, I say this for two reasons. The first is that I am not terribly photogenic. The second is that I should hope that I am memorable enough to my acquaintances through my conversations with them that they should not need a reminder of what I look like to know my name.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • That, and it would be cheesy as hell.
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah that too.

EDIT: Apparently I am living up to my name as a Lady Killer.
    You: What sort of illustration? 2d design or 3d art?
    Stranger: 2d! pen and ink is my favorite medium. on an unrelated note, you're like, not a creep. I came on here to play the Pervert Game. but I'm enjoying talking to you...
    You: Well, I'd like to think I'm not a creep! I try to be a good internet citizen, you know? Just because we are seperated by thousands of miles of copper and fiber, doesn't mean we aren't still people at the two ends.
    Stranger: that...was beautiful.
    You: I wax poetic from time to time.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited August 2009
    Made my last L4D video for fans of Lucky Star, Evangelion, K-ON!, etc.
    Has some Shaun of the Dead stuff as well.

How can I improve on my videos? I need suggestions, because I think the quality of my videos are getting better but aren't quite what I want. I know I really need to improve on my actual talking, to much it flow better and sound better, but I need some others too.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • Bump. Some guitar for the metal fans here. Pardon the quality, I hadn't picked up my guitar in almost a year.

And then some classic gameplay/demo/preview/blah stuff, but this time with the new Batman Demo.

• Hold out a camera, point it at yourself, and click! Pola and I did this a lot. I say "did" as we've now split up. I thought I'd collect together all our photos, and while I was at it, making this video wasn't much more work. It's about 388 photos, but not in the order we took them.
  • edited August 2009
    Hold out a camera, point it at yourself, and click! Pola and I did this a lot. I say "did" as we've now split up. I thought I'd collect together all our photos, and while I was at it, making this video wasn't much more work. It's about 388 photos, but not in the order we took them.
    As cliche as those are, I never get tired of them, nice work.
    Guitar Videos
    A. Never start by saying "sorry about my shitty playing" because people will immediately think "Why waste my time then"
    B. If you are showcasing your guitar playing, turn the volume on the original piece to almost zero, so that your playing doesn't blend with the guitars in the original track, in fact if you can get the basic backing track that's even better.

As for the actual playing I really can't say much, as the only thing I was able to really hear was the piano playing at the beginning of the first video.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Hold out a camera, point it at yourself, and click! Pola and I did this a lot. I say "did" as we've now split up. I thought I'd collect together all our photos, and while I was at it, making this video wasn't much more work. It's about 388 photos, but not in the order we took them.
    That's pretty cool for something so simple. The music was good as well. Makes me a bit sad to watch knowing you guys aren't together anymore.
  • Here are a couple vids that I took during nerd camp.

Public reading of My Immortal:

Shenanigans on the quad:

Apologies for all the commentary.
  • Improved Dimmu Borgir cover:

• I made this video long before youtube, but just posted it there a few days ago.

In 2003 I made a video of me equaling a current world record, 12 catches with 12 balls.

Awesome, right? Well, it was actually a fake, made for an April Fools Day prank on the world. Here is the post I made about it on rec.juggling, and the fun comments afterward.

In a following post I wrote up how I made the video. Like any successful project, it takes a lot of planning, knowledge, skill and hard work. A bit like juggling itself! In November of 2003 I flashed 12 balls for real, which sort of proves that point.
    Luke Burrage's 10 Step Guide to Juggling Video Forgery.

1. Think of a trick that people may believe you can do, has to be plausible. For me a 12 ball flash was near but the chances of me catching on video slim.

2. Drop a hint you are going to attempt it. The wimpy discussion was perfect for my requirements.

3. Buy a new tape for your camera if you have run out. Monday dinner time was good for me.

4. Remember, when filming anything, "Location, location, location." Reasons why I chose my back yard and that camera angle:
    -likely place for me to juggle in
    -the sky behind is high contrast so you can see the balls above my hands
    -the wall behind is low contrast so it is difficult to see the balls below my hands
    -knowing that any ball on the floor would be stationary and easy to spot, the low angle and the raised edge of the gravel patch where I am standing would hide any dropped balls

5. Practice your reaction. This is very important. I chose that one because:
    -throwing the balls to the ground is an accepted celebration but it also makes sure all the balls end up in a roughly the same place, right beside the dropped balls
    -running past the camera and out of the shot means that I can get my acting out of the way quickly, leaving an empty screen, not me looking down at the balls that I dropped (for a closer examination see http://lukeburrages.thingonthe.net/juggling/videoreview.html )

6. Shoot yourself attempting the trick until you have a good selection of near misses with suitable celebrations. I was happy at 10 near attempts (8 catches or more with celebration, best was 10 catches but forgot to play the part) which took about 45 minutes.

7. Capture these attempts into your computer and review them until you find the one most suitable for the next stages.

8. Grab the frames in which the balls are dropping past your hands and before they hit fall out of site. Or in my case, the frames in which the balls bounce of my shoulder, off my arms and the one that just bounced off the ground. Frame by frame remove evidence of these balls. The best way to do this is to use the background of where the ball you want removing is from the frame before or after. Do not use smudging or cloning as this leave a visible trail where the ball is. This stage is made much easier if the balls are not easily visible in the first place.

9. Recompile the video, sans the sound. Removing the sounds of balls hitting gravel seemed to tricky to even bother. Grass would be the best surface for this, or maybe have some music playing. I never put sound on
    my video clips anyway, so this wasn't a problem for me anyway.

10. Finally "optimize" for the internet. All I think I need to say here is that low quality mpg can hide a multitude of sins.

Thank you.

Luke Burrage

PS. Does all this sound plausible to you? A lot of work for just a joke?
    Well, you are right. The video is real.
    The video wasn't real. I know I've probably still got the original files somewhere, so one day I might upload the original, unaltered video clip.
  • I filmed this footage while at Furry Weekend Atlanta 2009 back in March. It's of one of my favorite musicians Matthew Ebel. Here he is performing his song "She Will Set You Free". Which he did live for the first time at this performance

You can find out more about him and his music on his website: http://www.matthewebel.com

I have a few more videos from this live performance, let me know if you want to see them.
  • In this video I am actually working. I like my job. Except this weekend I was ill, and I had to work really hard just to keep going.

More info:

Pola and I are still rocking out with the Art of Juggling show, and here is our street show festival version.

There is a long setup, but it's more of a character thing with some juggling (a cool balance trick) and a lot of hype to set up the grand finale of the entire show. This video shows the unique part of our show that the audience loves.

Ok, the "passing clubs around small children" is in no way unique, as I lifted it as a whole from Haggis and Charlie's show (or, to put it another way, when I replaced Haggis in the show for a festival, Charlie taught me the salient parts) but it fits really nicely here.

And yes, I do perform 5 club backcrosses and 6 clubs in the show. Too hard, I know! In the theater version of the act we do a lot less talking, and the final trick is an awesome colour change trick with 5 rings that we've performed for 3 years now and never got round to filming.

One last note: my camera is broken, and every few minutes it starts zooming in by itself! Our volunteer cameraman worked out what was happening, but it still looks a bit weird.
  • Damn, Luke. You really are good.
  • Damn, Luke. You really are good.
    Seriously. Holy crap.

What would happen if you actually nailed one of those kids?
  • What would happen if you actually nailed one of those kids?
    I did some club juggling a few years back, and I can tell you that even my cheap beginner set of clubs were very sturdy. If I ever needed to bludgeon someone in the head and I only was able to choose from the objects in my room, I would go straight for those.
  • What would happen if you actually nailed one of those kids?
    I did some club juggling a few years back, and I can tell you that even my cheap beginner set of clubs were very sturdy. If I ever needed to bludgeon someone in the head and I only was able to choose from the objects in my room, I would go straight for those.
    The kids would be fine. Also many street performers do the same trick but with fire torches or knives; if you see the trick from the right angle you'd realise they're really never in any danger from even the shoddiest club passers.
  • Some more Matthew Ebel performance videos for your perusal. All from footage I got from FWA 2009.

Matthew Ebel live @ FWA 2009 video playlist.
  • edited October 2009
    Just posted this to my blog:

For ease of sharing I uploaded a video of my diabolo routine, as performed at the Schmidt's Midnight Variete in Hamburg a few weeks ago. This doesn't contain any mindblowing tricks, nor is there anything special about the performance, it's just what I do on stage with diabolo, the act pretty much unchanged for the past 4 or 5 years. Check it out:

Some more info:
    - I typically do this act with a spoken introduction as part of a longer show, either my theater show or as a street show. Not only do I introduce the act beforehand, but I make comments throughout the entire thing, and for the big trick at the end I do a long but fast-paced explanation. Here I arrive on stage, and have to win the audience over purely by my tricks.
    - The above reason is why I've shared this version of the act, and not the many other times I've captured it on film, because it stands alone.
    - I once had a 2 diabolo section at the end, but replaced it with the final trick you see here. This is much easier for me.
    - I normally do the routine dropless; the drop of the finale trick is completely intentional.
    - I hold the final pose as long as possible. This is a good demonstration of what you can do by taking complete control of the audience. As long I do the correct setup, either with or without speaking, they will continue their applause as long as I keep my diabolo in the air.
    - There are a few original tricks in the routine, but a lot of standards. Just goes to show that to make a living with juggling, you don't have to be at the highest level, but you must be GOOD at what you AIM to do.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • The tricks in this video are more difficult than you'll ever know:
  • My latest video is this one:

I tried to up the quality of my videos the best I can until I am able to buy a HD camcorder.

• edited October 2009
    Updating my anime song video list from last year since I felt it had changed significantly enough to warrant that. If you're in the market for a whooooole bunch of anime song recommendations, then you're in luck. :D

There will be seven parts in total when this is done. So far, the first two parts are available:

Post edited by Eryn on
    edited October 2009
    Updating my anime song video list from last year since I felt it had changed significantly enough to warrant that. If you're in the market for a whooooole bunch of anime song recommendations, then you're in luck. :D
    Those videos don't look like Youtube videos. I can't shake the feeling that linking those vids, when you're done, on /a/ could make an interesting thread and would become must-watch for any r/a/dio.

Also, fuck yes, 215 - Tori Dango Nabe! On that note, how's Utamiko doing? I haven't seen an episode after #2.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I uploaded this video to test out the YouTube annotations editor. I made it so anyone else can add annotations too.
  • I uploaded this video to test out the YouTube annotations editor. I made it so anyone else can add annotations too.
    That's a good game. If I could juggle, I would totally play.
    That's a good game. If I could juggle, I would totally play.
    http://www.jugglenyc.com/clubs.html
  • I have never seen a worthwhile use of YouTube annotations. It's always annoying and useless.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    I have never seen a worthwhile use of YouTube annotations. It's always annoying and useless.
    Isn't it amazing how certain features or technologies that have quite a few intuitive uses, are abused or used in an annoying fashion? I never use the microphone on CoD because it's more of a hindrance and annoyance than useful.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I have never seen a worthwhile use of YouTube annotations. It's always annoying and useless.
    Isn't it amazing how certain features or technologies that have quite a few intuitive uses, are abused or used in an annoying fashion? I never use the microphone on CoD because it's more of a hindrance and annoyance than useful.
    Well, the difference to me is that I can see the use of a microphone in CoD, but I can't even think of any intuitive uses of the YouTube annotations.
    Well, the difference to me is that I can see the use of a microphone in CoD
    On average, how often is it used in a random game server collaboratively and for teamwork?