This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Get on the Natural Selection boat

Comments

• Alright, a friend just picked this up for me. I'll get some NS going tonight or tomorrow.
  • Fixed the problem (got another friend to lend me his credit card), I'll download everything tonight
  • I wish I had a windows PC to play games on.
    They're really cheap, except for the Windows part.
    They're really cheap, except for the Windows part.
    And that can be free.
  • And that can be free.
    If you are in college or something, and you can get a free Windows license, awesome for you. If you are talking about pirating, don't trust that shit. Not only is it very hard to get updates for pirate copies of Windows, but most pirated Windowses have spyware and viruses built in from the get-go.
  • And that can be free.
    If you are in college or something, and you can get a free Windows license, awesome for you. If you are talking about pirating, don't trust that shit. Not only is it very hard to get updates for pirate copies of Windows, but most pirated Windowses have spyware and viruses built in from the get-go.
    I meant the free college windows. No one should trust pirated Windows.
  • Somewhat randomly I've been using a pirated version for a while when It dawned on me that I've got an XP pro key on the bottom of my laptop.
    Just assume any Windows machine used on the Internet is compromised after prolonged use.
  • Somewhat randomly I've been using a pirated version for a while when It dawned on me that I've got an XP pro key on the bottom of my laptop.
    This is the one thing that really gets me. Microsoft supposedly controls Windows piracy with keys. Even if you have a legitimate CD or DVD, it's worthless without a key. So why do they make it so difficult to get a copy of the CDs and DVDs? Every version of Windows and/or Office that has ever existed should be a free download that you can burn yourself from Microsoft's website. At the very least they should sell the discs for like $5. Just charge people for the keys. Quite often people will have legitimate Windows keys, but are unable to take advantage of them because they don't have the discs.
  • So why do they make it so difficult to get a copy of the CDs and DVDs?
    The reason is green and papery.
  • Is there any way to play against bots in NS? Or some kind of way of learning how to play?
  • edited November 2008
    Play HL1 on normal or hard, under advanced options, uncheck "aim correction".
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Is there any way to play against bots in NS? Or some kind of way of learning how to play?
    There are plenty of NS servers out there that are filled with bots. However, they won't teach you much. NS is all about coordination of multiple people. Your best bet for just learning the basics is to play maps that begin with co_. co stands for combat. It's a variant of the NS game where the RTS factors have been removed. Instead, it's all about fpsing.
  • I just bought it. I've played Half-Life: Source before, but not the original.
  • I just bought it. I've played Half-Life: Source before, but not the original.
    Due to circumstances, Half-Life: Source is the only valve game I don't have.
  • I just got out of a game of NS. It's kinda fun talking to the Comm. You ask him for stuff, and you actually get it! Comm's are better than God!
  • edited November 2008
    Yeah, so that was totally awesome. I played NS for nearly 4 hours tonight. I assisted Sonic in fighting off some aliens as well.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • Yeah, so that was totally awesome. I played NS for nearly 4 hours tonight. I assisted Sonic in fighting off some aliens as well.
    Yup, it was kick ass.
  • Anyone have any plans to make a server for the forum now that we have more people with access to the game?
  • Anyone have any plans to make a server for the forum now that we have more people with access to the game?
    If you're part of the group, try the "Friends" tab when choosing a server, if people check that before joining a server we should all end up together. The problem is trying to get everyone onto the server before it fills up.
  • We mostly play on one of two servers.

Clan Server: Innocent Until Proven Guilty
    or
    Guns4Back2School

Remember these servers have slot reservations for the admins. If it looks like there's one open spot left, it actually might be full. Also, if you try to join the BAD Clan server when it's full, it will automatically transfer you to the BAD Clan server #2 which has combat mode maps instead of ns maps.
  • edited November 2008
    Hmm.. my feelings on combat mode are somewhat mixed. It's a nice way to blow off steam but doesn't feel as much like NS as classic. Also, if you're new, stick to classic, you level up stuff by working as a team whereas in combat you have to level up individually.

If we get people in the chat channel, we can get everyone into an empty server before other people start filling it up.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Hey wasn't someone in another thread talking about converting HL demos to YouTube? We could make a bunch of instructional NS videos to teach people instead of getting everyone on at once.
  • Hey wasn't someone in another thread talking about converting HL demos to YouTube? We could make a bunch of instructional NS videos to teach people instead of getting everyone on at once.
    Yes, that was me. I think that would be a great idea.
  • edited November 2008
    Hey wasn't someone in another thread talking about converting HL demos to YouTube? We could make a bunch of instructional NS videos to teach people instead of getting everyone on at once.
    Yes, that was me. I think that would be a great idea.
    How do I do it? Also, do the in-game demos record in-game voice chat?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2008
    Are you asking how to convert them to an AVI? Yes, the demos record in-game voice chat. If some people need help, I can make a detailed thread on how-to go from recording a demo to putting it up on YouTube (with pics).

EDIT: To be more specific, it records everyone else's in-game voice chat, but It doesn't record your own, which kinda sucks.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • I tried to play 3 games in "_co" maps, it seemed a bit unbalanced, a single alien could kill you with a single shot (until you got some armor upgrades but still pretty much, two hits, you are screwed), no one stuck together, and when we did, a motherfucking rhino looking alien would plow us down. Maybe its just bad luck.

Question was, in the first game I played, I got the shotgun, the heavy machine gun, then the grenade launcher, but I got stuck with the grenade launcher because it was the last thing I purchased, is there a way to go back to the shotgun or heavy machine gun in that sort of case?
  • No, you have to pic your purchases carefully. I usually stick with the LMG until I've got damage and armor to level 2.
  • Combat isn't really a good game. It has the same problems as all the other games with leveling up and winner's momentum. Imagine a game of basketball where if you score, you get the ball back. Or imagine a game of football where if you score, the other team kicks it to you, and you get to be on offense again. That's what NS combat, and other leveling up games, are like. The only real purpose of combat is to give players a place to practice and learn playing the fps portion of NS. It makes the real game a lot easier if you already know how to bite and leap without worrying about chambers and hives.
  • edited November 2008
    I can run a server if people want it, how much ram does it need?

EDIT
    I installed dedicated server, people can try it out. Point NS at gedavids.no-ip.info:27015 and see if it works.
    Post edited by George Patches on