This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Get on the Natural Selection boat

Comments

• how much ram does it need?
    RAM for the server, or game?
  • how much ram does it need?
    RAM for the server, or game?
    For teh server. Whatever, it just threw it on my Windows 2003 VM, it's got 512 of ram and 512 of swap. If it needs more I've got 4GB in the machine.

• For teh server. Whatever, it just threw it on my Windows 2003 VM, it's got 512 of ram and 512 of swap. If it needs more I've got 4GB in the machine.
    I think that should work, I am no server expert though. Keep us updated.
  • edited November 2008
    I'll try your server to see if it works tomorrow. Really, NS is Half-Life 1. It doesn't require anything fancy. You can easily run a server on a 5 years old machine. The problem is getting a static IP, and getting the right ports forwarded if necessary. However, running it in a VM is a very bad idea. It might work, but it will have problems. A server for a real-time fast paced game like NS needs to run directly on a real CPU.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2008
    My cable connection has a static IP (or so I've been told). I've got a Pentium 4 box with 700-some-odd megs of ram that's not being use with anything right now. I'll install Windows on it and see what happens in terms of getting an NS server running on it.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • My cable connection has a static IP (or so I've been told). I've got a Pentium 4 box with 700-some-odd megs of ram that's not being use with anything right now. I'll install Windows on it and see what happens in terms of getting an NS server running on it.
    A Linux Steam server is better.
  • I'll try your server to see if it works tomorrow. Really, NS is Half-Life 1. It doesn't require anything fancy. You can easily run a server on a 5 years old machine. The problem is getting a static IP, and getting the right ports forwarded if necessary. However, running it in a VM is a very bad idea. It might work, but it will have problems. A server for a real-time fast paced game like NS needs to run directly on a real CPU.
    Oh, well I'll take it out of the VM and run in on the host. Not a big deal. Now it'll have all the fury of a one of my 3 cores and access to 4GB of ram, overkill to the max.

I've got a dynamic DNS running on my router and Comcast only changes my IP when I reboot the router. I forwarded port 27015, are there any other ports that anyone know of?
  • edited November 2008
    Ok everyone, we're getting "Steam validation rejected" when we try to connect to the server I made. Does anyone know how to fix this? Google is being very unhelpful.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Ok everyone, we're getting "Steam validation rejected" when we try to connect to the server I made. Does anyone know how to fix this? Google is being very unhelpful.
    Try creating a file in the ns folder named steam_appid.txt. In that file put the number 70.

Also, I got an NS server running in the house. I even got it to show up in the list of steam servers, and Andrew was able to connect to it just fine. The only problem with it is that it restarts and kicks everyone off when the map changes. If we can solve that problem, we'll be set.
  • Ok everyone, we're getting "Steam validation rejected" when we try to connect to the server I made. Does anyone know how to fix this? Google is being very unhelpful.
    Try creating a file in the ns folder named steam_appid.txt. In that file put the number 70.

Also, I got an NS server running in the house. I even got it to show up in the list of steam servers, and Andrew was able to connect to it just fine. The only problem with it is that it restarts and kicks everyone off when the map changes. If we can solve that problem, we'll be set.
    That seems really really silly, but it worked.

My server now seems to work and shows up in the list of servers. I called it "Forum Test Server," people can join and play. I've got a good cable modem with lots of upstream bandwidth so it should run pretty well.
  • Scott and I worked out the quibbling details, so know that we're slowly working on a series of tutorial videos for NS.
  • edited November 2008
    Scott and I worked out the quibbling details, so know that we're slowly working on a series of tutorial videos for NS.
    Yay! Only yesterday I figured out how you can jump as an alien. (you have to switch 'weapons'). Granted, I prefer to play marines.

edit: With 'jump' I meant 'leap'.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • you have to switch 'weapons
    Press R, press R!! (or your reload button of choice while alien.) You have to wait until someone builds a movement chamber next to one of the hives (I think?).
  • edited November 2008
    Press R, press R!! (or your reload button of choice while alien.) You have to wait until someone builds a movement chamber next to one of the hives (I think?).
    If you are skulk you can use the reload button to leap. If you are fade you can use reload button to blink. If you are onos you can use reload button to charge. All of these abilities are also selectable as weapons.

You gain the ability to leap when your team has two completed hives. Fades can blink as long as there is at least one hive. Onos can only charge if there are three hives up.

It's a little bit outdated, but if you plan on playing before we make a tutorial, you should read the manual. The one major flaw in NS is that it is not newb friendly. The community is cool, and wants more players. However, even one newb joining a non-newb game can completely ruin things for everybody, especially if you join the alien team and waste all of your resource points. My suggestion to people who are still learning to play is that you should not play in "real" games until you at least understand how everything works. If you must play, join marines as at least you won't be able to cause too much damage.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2008
    A lot of learning NS is practical stuff you have to pick up as you play, for instance, moving in a group with one guy out ahead (marines) means any skulks that go for him can be quickly mowed down.

Are there any scripts I can use to throw grenades with right click?

Addition: I would say the marines are more noob friendly than the aliens (I still don't have a full grasp of any useful strategies). There is a single player tutorial mod for NS knocking about somewhere.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • A lot of learning NS is practical stuff you have to pick up as you play, for instance, moving in a group with one guy out ahead (marines) means any skulks that go for him can be quickly mowed down.
    Yes, but you shouldn't even be worrying about strategies like that if you don't even know the rules of the game, and how things work. If you don't understand all of the alien chambers and abilities and the marine tech tree, you're going to be wicked lost.
  • I just realized, parasited means enemy aliens can see where you are at all times.
  • I just realized, parasited means enemy aliens can see where you are at all times.
    Yes, yes it does. It's also not removable. I repeat. NS is an incredibly complicated game. If you choose to play it for reals without knowing the rules, you are going to screw up royally, and your team will hate you.

Also, that manual is very very outdated. A lot of stuff on there is wrong. A lot of the basics are still true, so it's a good intro, but don't depend on it.
  • If you are fade you can use reload button to blink.
    This discovery let me quadruple my kills per game. I discovered it myself as it wasn't in any instructions that I found online.
  • If you choose to play it for reals without knowing the rules, you are going to screw up royally, and your team will hate you.
    Don't make the mistake I did I decide to learn this the hard way.
  • Yes, yes it does. It's also not removable.
    They used to be.

NS has changed a lot over the years. Babblers are gone, web was de-lamed (that itself from a strange time where it was common for aliens to have three hives and still not win the game), "Walls of Lame" were discouraged and eventually prevented. Damage was tweaked up and down a bunch of times. Grenades were added, and then doubled. IPs no longer spawn kill. Lerks no longer have the needler.
  • They used to be.
    No, they weren't. There was a server mod that allowed players to remove parasites by humping the armory. Removing parasites was never officially part of NS.
  • Lerks no longer have the needler.
    Ahhhh, I remember the days of lerk dogfighting. They were good days.
  • The NS Wiki has up to date information.
  • There was a server mod that allowed players to remove parasites by humping the armory.
    There was also one that allowed them to be welded off.

Things are more sane now, but back at the peak, most every server ran some stupid mod or other, and the parasite one was pretty common. Luckily, it never got to the game-ruining levels that Tribes 2 reached before cooler heads prevailed.
  • I'm going to rename my server "Forum Newb Server." Why don't we setup a time that we'll all try and figure out this crazy game? Does anyone have a suggestion for map rotations?
  • The NS Wikihas up to date information.
    I read that... but still nothing about reload being used as a second attack/leap!
  • I read that... but still nothing about reload being used as a second attack/leap!
  • Great, listed under a table called "= Marine Controls =". Silly me.
  • Great, listed under a table called "= Marine Controls =". Silly me.
    Just read the instructions and stop complaining.