This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Get on the Natural Selection boat

124»

Comments

• Thanks for that. Like I said, I found it out myself. I was just pointing out that BronzeDragon wasn't the only one to discover this ability after probably a few hours of play and feeling useless blinking into people and wondering why he was being shot before being able to change weapons to attack. For such a fundamental technique I'd have thought it would have been mentioned slightly more prominently. No wonder people consider this game complicated if the instructions are almost deliberately obtuse.
  • No wonder people consider this game complicated if the instructions are almost deliberately obtuse.
    The instructions aren't obtuse, they're just old. This is a free modification for Half-Life 1 that came out in 2002. Anyone who is still playing it now is the hardcorest of hardcore fps gamer. There really is almost no audience for this game that requires an easy instruction manual or tutorial. All of you listeners combined who just started playing NS probably consists of 99% of the NS newbs in the past year.
  • I personally haven't found anything about the game complicated as yet, no more than any advanced board game. It's really hard and really, really good fun. I understand completely everything you've said about it. Last night I played three games in a row on one map and the marines tried different strategies each time. One went bad, one idea was just stupid and the game ended after about 3 minutes, but one was a hard push to the finish and we eventually pulled through to win. I'm not the best shot, so I only made a few kills, I mainly built and welded. Turns out playing as part of a tight team with lots of different roles is far more fun than any other kind of FPS I've played.
  • NS kicks ass, but I'd not played it in months. Last night I had a good combat session. The Bad Clan Combat server was full, so 14 vs 14 player games were rocking. I mostly played Alien, so I sucked really bad.

But one map I went Marine, and ranked second from beginning to end. Not because I'm good at NS! I'm okay, but nothing special. Here's how to kick ass on Space Fall.

1. Don't go to the top of the space ship. Too many marines hang out there picking off the falling skulks. It takes ages to get levels and you run out of ammo too quickly.
    2. Instead drop out the door into the pool below. Skulks turn up right away, but you should be able to kill two or three before getting munched yourself.
    3. Get mines.
    4. Keep dropping into the pool, and set the mines on the edge of the pool as you exit. Most skulks will follow you out and die. Pick of other skulks, and if you are about to die, jump off the edge, shooting in mid air, maybe killing more aliens, but not giving them any levels.
    5. Rush level 3 HMG. Everyone else is rushing jet packs, but you don't need them to quickly get to where there are aliens, i.e. in the pool below.
    6. Get resupply.
    7. Level up armor and get a jetpack.
    8. By this time most other marines will have a jetpack too, but a shit gun. You can circle the Onos that are now dropping onto the space ship, and it's really hard to miss them with your HMG.
    9. Clean up the Onos, then go down and mop up in the hive while some other marines with grenade launchers take down the hive itself.
    10. Feel smug.

I think the top ranked marine player was just way better at shooting than I am.
  • Luke, do you know how to use the /xmenu on the BAD Clan Combat Server? You know there are more upgrades available than what is in the regular menu because they have a server mod. The guy who beat you probably had 5 levels of static and 5 levels of uranium ammo.
  • Of course. But the Space Fall games end pretty quickly, before anyone reaches more than about level 12. The xmenu is fun for extending play options later in games, but with my above strategy it doesn't really come into play.
  • Of course. But the Space Fall games end pretty quickly, before anyone reaches more than about level 12. The xmenu is fun for extending play options later in games, but with my above strategy it doesn't really come into play.
    I was just making sure you knew it existed. I didn't know it existed for a long time. I also know that any nub who goes on that server will definitely not realize it.
  • Yeah, it took me a while to realize it too.
  • I've been off this boat for years, but I think it might be time to get back on. I already own the game. Everyone else is playing Overwatch. They just released a new map. I'm feeling it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4mcsau/natural_selection_2_gets_a_new_map_a_new_weapon/
  • Sweet! I'm on it
  • Overwatch is like 1000% better than NS2