This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mousepads

edited November 2008 in Technology
Just a thread about mousepads. Do you use them? Are you for/against them? Do you like a specific kind?

Mine is just a really shitty Dell that came with my computer. I'm thinking about getting a new one, possibly one from the Valve store. They have some that look really cool, like these:

CS:S Mousepad
Left 4 Dead Mousepad
Team Fortress 2 Mousepad
Portal Mousepad
Another TF2 Mousepad
Half-Life 2 Mousepad

I'll probably get the Counterstrike one.

Crappy cellphone pic of mine with my new G5:

Photobucket

Comments

• edited November 2008
    I want a mousepad with the jelly wristrest or an anime one. I found a mix of the two but I rather not.

I have one with a Chineseimage symbol on it at the moment.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I just use my desk.
  • I just bought the simplest, cheapest one I could find.
  • edited November 2008
    I want a mousepad with the jelly wristrest or an anime one. I found a mix of the two but I rather not.

I have one with a chinese symbol on it at the moment.
    As soon as you said "anime and jelly rest" I thought of those, a friend actually has one, and they are quite comfortable.

I don't use a mousepad
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • edited November 2008
    I just use my desk.
    I don't use a mousepad
    How do you live?!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • No mousepad here. A large improvement over my mousepad days.
  • Optical mice don't need mouse pads. If I had to use a mouse pad, I like to think it would be stained with the blood of my enemies.
  • edited November 2008
    I used to use a mousepad when I bought a cool FMA mousepad at an anime con. I lost it a few months ago on vacation, though.
    Since then I don't use a mousepad. The only time they're useful is if you're using an optical mouse on a surface that's not consistent (some wooden tables), a trackball mouse (which you shouldn't be using), or if you want the jelly wrist rest.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I wouldn't use a mousepad if my desk wasn't a bunch of planks glued together with big gaps in them. Just use one of the free ones I had lying around.
  • I use the Belkin WaveRest mousepad with wrist rest. It is divine.
  • Optical mice don't need mouse pads. If I had to use a mouse pad, I like to think it would be stained with the blood of my enemies.
    True, but I love the feel of a mousepad. It feels....ahhhh~!
  • My mousepad is a piece of smooth wood that I found when I moved in. Works better than any cloth covered one I've had.
  • True, but I love the feel of a mousepad. It feels....ahhhh~!
    Viga, you're gross. =__=
  • I have a circular death star mouse pad from 1999. There's a TIE Fighter chasing an X-Wing while the partially constructed, and fully operational, death star is in the background of the entire pad. The pad is cool, but very old. At PAX Namco was selling Galaga pads, so I bought one in hopes of replacing the death star. My laser mouse did not work properly on the Galaga pad, so I put that in the living room, and I'm still using "that's no moon".
  • Mousepad? Uhh, I have a laser mouse. The only reason you used to need a mousepad was so the ball inside had a surface to grip onto for rolling smoothly. I can understand the "feel" argument if you just like having that little tension when you move your mouse or like a wrist rest, but honestly mousepads are pretty useless these days from a practical standpoint.
  • Not only do most of them get in the way rather than help, but they normally aren't big enough either. Even with my sensitivity cranked up, I never feel like I have enough room.
  • Here's mine from work:

At home I don't use one because I have a wireless keyboard and mouse.
  • Even though I have a G5, I still like having a mousepad and the "feel" of one. Also, I think they can be kinda neat if someone has a cool looking mousepad or something. I tried using just the desk and I didn't really like it so I think I'm going to stick with a mousepad.
  • I want a mousepad with the jelly wristrest or an anime one. I found a mix of the two but I rather not.
    I have one with a Chineseimagesymbol on it at the moment.
    I would get one of those, but I'd have to hide it if I ever brought a girl over.
    I am currently going spetsnaz in the mousepad department.
  • edited November 2008
    I would get the Yoko mousepad if it wasn't $45.

Seriously, vendors, what the hell?

Edit: It's that expensive in Japan. Seriously, Japanese vendors, what the hell?
    Post edited by Σπεκωσποκ on
  • Mousepad? Uhh, I have a laser mouse. The only reason you used to need a mousepad was so the ball inside had a surface to grip onto for rolling smoothly. I can understand the "feel" argument if you just like having that little tension when you move your mouse or like a wrist rest, but honestly mousepads are pretty useless these days from a practical standpoint.
    What if your desk has a glass surface? Optical mice do not work on all surfaces regardless of the technology. Also, different surfaces have different coefficients of friction. Those factors alone justify the continued use of the mouse pad.
  • What if your desk has a glass surface? Optical mice do not work on all surfaces regardless of the technology. Also, different surfaces have different coefficients of friction. Those factors alone justify the continued use of the mouse pad.
    Ok glass surface, but friction is a matter of your preference of feel.
  • edited November 2008
    Those factors alone justify the continued use of the mouse pad.
    Yes, but back in the days of the trackball mouse, most people needed a mouse pad. Nowadays, probably less than 10% of people need to use a mouse pad.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited November 2008
    I'm oldschool I guess, I feel weird without a wired mouse and a mousepad.
    Post edited by djfooboo on
  • I use a completely black mousepad, as otherwise all the conflicting colors causes my mouse to go haywire. I use an old mouse, but it fits me well.
  • I use bit of special fabric from Crumpler that has three functions: mouse mat, screen wipe and protecty thingy for when you close you laptop. I'd link to it but the Crumpler website is all flash and not working too well. It works really well for all three things. I have a wooden desk and like the feel of it under my wrist much better than the bare hard wood.
  • a trackball mouse (which you shouldn't be using)
    Blasphemy!
    Blasphemy!
    Dude, seriously? The banishment of trackballs got rid of the annoying problems that arise when dick punk kids take them out! At school I couldn't go to a computer lab without going to a comp where someone did that! Argh!
    Blasphemy!
    Dude, seriously? The banishment of trackballs got rid of the annoying problems that arise when dick punk kids take them out! At school I couldn't go to a computer lab without going to a comp where someone did that! Argh!
    Regardless, trackballs = ultimate. I made of habit of taking the ball with me whenever I was at a LAN party or keeping both a trackball and laser mouse plugged in so I could switch as needed.
  • edited November 2008
    Regardless, trackballs = ultimate.
    Bull. Shit.
    I gracefully respect your opinion and will not challenge it because you're allowed to be wrong. Besides, this is a thread about mousepads and not the small rodents that perch upon them. Good day to you, sir.
    Post edited by Sail on