This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Component cables and the problems of thereof.

edited November 2008 in Technology
So I have a component cable that has connectors for my Wii, PS2 and Xbox360, connecting to a Sony Bravia HDTV and just now I'm having a serious problem with it: to wit, any HD pictures run through the cable have started flickering, looking like wobbling jelly. For some reason, this doesn't happen when I run an SD 60hz picture through it: it only acts like this with HD video. I tried reseating the cable connectors at both ends repeatedly and blowing on the ends, but nothing worked. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Sounds like interference to me. If all the cables are near each other or something near it could be causing the interference that has a magnetic field. I had this problem with my powered over the air antenna. I had to move it away from the TV because it caused interference and the TV shut off. I would recommend trying a shielded cable or move it away from other devices.
  • Sounds to me like it's trying to push a progressive scan picture to an interlaced monitor.
  • Sounds to me like it's trying to push a progressive scan picture to an interlaced monitor.
    This sounds right to me.
  • This is strange to me. The problem's the same on both my 360 and Wii, and trying to use 1080p on my 360 only gives me a black screen before I have to boot it back to 1080i...
  • It might be that your set doesn't support 1080p over component. I know my monitor doesn't. Does it still happen at 720p?
  • And at 480p as well. Only my Wii at 480i and 60hz doesn't seem to be affected.
  • I deal with this on a daily basis at work. Component is a dumb cable, so you need to make sure that your TV is configured exactly the same way as your digital receiver. Your TV is either set to 1080p and receiving a 1080i signal, or vice versa. More commonly it's the TV that's set too low. Consult your owner's manual, or if you have a Motorola digital box, try the following:

1) Power the box off, but leave the TV on
    2) Press the menu button on your remote to access the diagnostics page
    3) Check the resolution setting - it must either be 1080i or 1080p. If it says something different, you have much bigger config issues.
    4) Whatever it is set to is incorrect. Swap it from 1080p to 1080i or vice versa.
    5) Press the power button on your remote twice to save and close the menu, and power the box up.
    6) Volia! No more flicker.

If you still have issues after doing all this, it's a cable issue. Check for any damaged or split shielding, and make sure that neither end of any wire is crooked at a sharp angle. If you replace the wire and remove all other electronics from the immediate area, it's either an issue with the digital box or the TV.
  • And at 480p as well. Only my Wii at 480i and 60hz doesn't seem to be affected.
    Check the settings for your TV and make sure it is in P mode.