This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So...I'm in New York this week.

edited November 2008 in Everything Else
Hey guys, I'll be in NYC till Friday with tons of free time except for Thursday when I'll be marching in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (I'll be on T.V. at 10 a.m). So, what should I do and where should I go to eat? I went to Chinatown tonight to practice my Chinese and grab a good dinner and I plan to hit up little Italy tomorrow. Thoughts?

Comments

• edited November 2008
    What are you doing marching in the Thanksgiving day parade? I wanna know so I can point you out to my family and say, "Hey! That's Andrew! (Who's Andrew?) He's this guy I know from the internet!"
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Ditto! How did you get to be in the parade?
  • edited November 2008
    Joe Shanghai's salt and pepper prons pr0nz T.T I miss that place! Chinatown fair is about two blocks away from there, if you want to check it out. It's a small arcade that looks a bit like a scary cave at night. I haven't been there in a while. Anyway, congrats on the parade gig!
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • edited November 2008
    Joe Shanghai'ssalt and pepper prons T.T I miss that place! Chinatown fair is about two blocks away from there, if you want to check it out. It's a small arcade that looks a bit like a scary cave at night. I haven't been there in a while. Anyway, congrats on the parade gig!
    Joe Shanghai's soup dumplings... Also, I hope you don't plan on spending all day in Little Italy. It really is very very little. Most of it has been eaten by China Town.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • prons prawns
  • edited November 2008
    pronsprawns
    Yes, I realized I made that error... but those prawns are so good, I thought I'd make a funny correction =D The soup dumplings are good too. The restaurant is known for their soup dumplings. I didn't mention them because I was a vegetarian until a few weeks ago.
  • edited November 2008
    Pr0nz is the plural of pr0n; obviously, the prawns are "pr0nz" because they taste so good.
    I want some now.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • pronsprawns
    Yes, I realized I made that error... but those prawns are so good, I thought I'd make a funny correction =D The soup dumplings are good too. The restaurant is known for their soup dumplings. I didn't mention them because I was a vegetarian until a few weeks ago.
    Sorry, I thought you just made a joke without realizing your mistake.

Bye the bye, I don't like prawns. Does that make me a bad person?
  • Bye the bye, I don't like prawns. Does that make me a bad person?
    Yes, you are a horrible human being. Save us all and end it now. ^_~
  • Bye the bye, I don't like prawns. Does that make me a bad person?
    Yet another reason to hate you.
  • Also, I hope you don't plan on spending all day in Little Italy.
    Quoted for truth. Little Italy is about one block's worth of one street. Head up to St. Mark's for an interesting evening. ^_~
  • edited November 2008
    Also, I hope you don't plan on spending all day in Little Italy.
    Quoted for truth. Little Italy is about one block's worth of one street. Head up to St. Mark's for an interesting evening. ^_~
    Oh man...Moroccan food with Moroccan tea. Need to wait for a table? Head one block to the Japanese toy shop to kill time. After finishing dinner, plan to chat with friends at the bubble tea cafe! Don't forget to stop by the comic book shop on your way there! ^_^ I need to do this again some time. Sadly, I don't remember the names of the places. I'll figure it out.
  • Don't forget to stop by the comic book shop on your way there!
    St. Marks comic shop is kind of sad. Better off going to Midtown, Hanley's, or Forbidden Planet.
  • It's not a bad comic shop. There are better, fancier places in the city, but I've found some really fun stuff at Saint Marks Comics.
  • I agree it's not the best. That's why its only a pit stop and not a main event. Forbidden planet is my favorite comic book shop, especially because Utrecht is in the area. Get inspired in the comic book shop, then go buy art supplies. Even if you're not an artist, that area delivers.
  • Strand, which is across the street from Forbidden Planet is also a necessary stop. Got The Terror in paperback for $8 there yesterday, and I overheard a conversation about Vonnegut!

Also, for cheap laughs, Upright Citizen's Brigade Theatre is worth a trip. $5 admission gets you some hilarious improv, and a great crowd.
    Here's the schedule. Definitely worth a look (if you have the time)
  • Joe Shanghai's soup dumplings
    Oh yes! Get some of those dumplings! They are to die for!

Also, Forbidden Planet is a lovely place. I stumbled upon Midtown Comics yesterday when I was fabric shopping. Strangely, I didn't have any money at the time. I don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing.
  • Also, Forbidden Planet is a lovely place. I stumbled upon Midtown Comics yesterday when I was fabric shopping. Strangely, I didn't have any money at the time. I don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing.
    I assume you stumbled into the Times Square one, which is much closer to the fabric shops. The one over by Grand Central is completely different. It's much more open and bright, whereas the Times Square one is cramped and dark.

• Also, I can now say I've been on Fox News.
  • Lisa and I camped out in front of the TV trying to spot you.
  • I assume you stumbled into the Times Square one, which is much closer to the fabric shops. The one over by Grand Central is completely different. It's much more open and bright, whereas the Times Square one is cramped and dark.
    Wait, what? I'm on the forbidden planet site and they only list one location in NY...
  • Wait, what? I'm on the forbidden planet site and they only list one location in NY...
    I was talking about MidTown comics.