This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ski Season!

RymRym
edited November 2008 in Everything Else
Ha ha! The mountains around here are finally ready for skiing.

I've realized that owning skis also involves waxing them. (I'd always rented until this point). I'm going to try to get by with some rub-on wax in order to avoid the tedious and possibly damaging process of waxing them with an iron. I also still need to acquire some prescription ski goggles and sunglasses, as using my regular sunglasses last season was a less than elegant solution.

Here's hoping my rediscovered skill from last year stays with me on these proper-length skis. ^_~

Comments

• You don't like contacts?
  • Nope. Hates 'em. They bug his eyes, or so he says.
  • You don't like contacts?
    I don't understand how someone could like contacts. It's only natural to not want to jam something purposefully into ones own eyes, the both of them.
  • Do you like seeing? Then you like contacts.
  • Do you like seeing? Then you like contacts.
    Why do I need to poke my own eyes daily to see when I can just as well wear a pair of longer lasting glasses?
  • Try playing a sport with any amount of contact with glasses on. For most, you really need your full range of vision.
  • Try playing a sport with any amount of contact with glasses on. For most, you really need your full range of vision.
    As if you see anything sharp at angles outside of the field of vision glasses provide with normal good vision.
  • Have you ever played basketball?
  • I don't understand how someone could like contacts. It's only natural to not want to jam something purposefully into ones own eyes, the both of them.
    Of course it's natural to not want objects in your eyes. Some reasons for people using contact lenses is for aesthetics. They don't like how they look when they wear glasses, so they choose to wear contacts.

Why does it even matter? If you like a certain form of optical aides, as long as you can see and it works for you, then that's all that should matter, right?

I currently do not wear glasses or contacts. I don't have a problem sticking objects near my eye. I've had many occasions where an eyelash gets stuck on my eyeball, and I have to retrieve it by either rubbing my eyes till they tear out or I extract them with a wet q-tip.

I'm with Starfox, when you participate in a physical activity, glasses get in the way. Most of the girls who once wore glasses, got contacts because you don't want to be knocked in the face on accident and getting your glasses broken.
  • Ha ha! The mountains around here are finally ready for skiing.
    Wooooo!
  • Have you ever played basketball?
    Yes. I even played rugby with my glasses with no problem. Not wearing my glasses also did not impact my enjoyment (or ability) of the games either. So with me you have no point.
    Some reasons for people using contact lenses is for aesthetics. They don't like how they look when they wear glasses, so they choose to wear contacts.
    Well known fact bearing no significant relation to my point d'opinion.
    knocked in the face on accident and getting your glasses broken.
    The single luck I ever have. No breakage, ever. Other than the little wings, but that was because of wear, and freely replaced.
  • I should have glasses, though I don't need them particularly badly. The only reason I don't is because I'm lazy. Very lazy.
  • Ha ha! The mountains around here are finally ready for skiing.
    Wooooo!
    What about snowboarding? You have to give each sport equal air time.
  • What about snowboarding? You have to give each sport equal air time.
    Honestly? I find mountain snowboarding to be slow and generally unexciting. You simply can't get the level of speed and control that skis offer on a plank. (And before anyone challenges my opinion: yes, I have boarded. I even took lessons).

The only place boards really shine is in terrain parks. I'm more a fan of the downhill, so naturally I prefer skis.
  • What about snowboarding? You have to give each sport equal air time
    I've never been into Snowboarding. Just a personal thing I think. That and I only see snowboarders on their butts.
  • That and I only see snowboarders on their butts.
    Too true. Every time I'm out, I'll see a good two thirds of the snowboarders I encounter just sitting there on their butts in that "snowboarder posture" halfway down the slopes.
  • It gets even better when one of your friends is that snowboarder and you have to wait up for him while he is on his fat ass.
  • I can agree that snowboarding is the lesser of the two if you are riding on hills, or on corduroy. When I lived in Michigan I was a skier and a racer. I liked riding racing skis, going insanely fast, and carving. Then I rode a snowboard just to humor some of my snowboarding friends and it happened to be a powder day in northern Michigan. After that day I was a convert. Powder is like a drug.

Naturally most snowboarders spend most of their time on their ass. Snowboarding has a really steep learning curve compared to skiing, and most people don't ride enough to get any good at it. Sure, snowboards shine in the terrain parks, but thinking that snowboarding is limited to that is just silly. Snowboards really start to work when you get on real mountains with deep pow, and slopes >/= 35 degrees.

Japan - Low elevation tree riding

Freeriding

Of course skiers can enjoy powder too. It's just 400 times harder. This is a DEEP one.
  • edited November 2008
    How fast do you go on skis? I like going fast. :)
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I tried using a GPS to measure my speed once, but I don't remember what it came out to. I don't know how accurate that would be anyway.

I like blow your hat off fast, like if you fall you don't stop till you hit the bottom. I haven't skied in a while though. I think I might like to sometime this year though, just to see if I've retained any of my skill, and to see if I can ride the powder on skis.
  • edited November 2008
    How fast do you go on skis? I like going fast. :)
    My estimate on shitty little Ohio ski slopes would be like 30-35 mph, tops. The slopes are REALLY short, mind you. If you're on some massive run in NY I bet you could get up to 50.

Anyways, I haven't skied much for the past 2 years. I've always had school or some other activity that I had to deal with, or there'd just be no snow. This year we are probably getting a lot of snow, so I'll probably ski a bit more this year.

Skiing vs. boarding? Skiing. I've gone boarding a few times and yeah, you're on your ass a lot. That and I've been skiing for 8 or 9 years now.

As for contacts: I should have contacts or glasses, but I can easily get by without them, so I don't wear either. Glasses bug me and get in the way and as for contacts, I also hate jabbing stuff in my eyes. My eyes are very sensitive, my optometrist said.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Then I rode a snowboard just to humor some of my snowboarding friends and it happened to be a powder day in northern Michigan. After that day I was a convert. Powder is like a drug.
    I usually head up to northern Michigan twice or three times a year, and haven't seen anything I'd call powder. When were you out?

I've been snowboarding for 6 years now, and got spoiled in the big mountains. So, like Dkong said, all the small hills in Ohio feel like they're nothing. Unlike most I haven't done much in the park, almost entirely because I didn't want to end up breaking something.

The best experience I've had was spending two hours getting lost going through some glades in Steamboat, Colorado.