This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Colognes, Deodorants, Aftershaves, and Other Such Fragrances

edited November 2008 in Everything Else
I don't believe we've ever had a thread about this. At least, a topic search did not reveal one.

So, I've been thinking about trying out a few new fragrances. Right now, most of my scent (that isn't my own funk) comes from my deodorant: Old Spice High Endurance. Usually, I go with the Sport scent, but on I occasion I mix it up. Generally, for day-to-day wear, that's the only scent I go with. If I'm going out somewhere, or otherwise want to be more decent, I'll throw on a splash of cologne. Right now, I'm using CK Obsession for Men; it's nice, but it's also sort of generic. At least, I don't think there's much special about it.

So, I've been thinking about changing up the cologne, and perhaps starting with an aftershave. My deodorant choice is most likely going to stay right where it is, because I like it, and it lasts for a while. I've tossed around a lot of ideas, but I haven't really come up with anything. I'm thinking I want something bold and different, and maybe a little spicy. I've also contemplated musk-based fragrances, for those times when I want to be particularly masculine. However, there are so many options out there, I have no idea where to start, and shopping for fragrances in a store winds up being overpowering; there are too many other scents going on for me to really be able to judge any one alone.

So, what do other people use? You guys out there, what scents do you lean towards? I'm just getting a feel for what some other people like, and maybe some suggestions to try things out.

Comments from the ladies are always appreciated.

EDIT: I swear to god, if anyone suggests AXE, I'm going to reach across the Internet and strangle you. I don't want to smell like a douchebag.

Comments

• AXE Marine is the best but they stopped making it yonks ago.
    I am afraid I fall into the "Other such fragrances" category most of the time I'm around the house. Mostly just soap when I go out.
  • I got an AXE deodorant thingy. As for aftershave or cologne, I have it somewhere, but I only use that for special occasions, which are far in between. As you see, I don't really have any suggestions, but I do have a question. What's the reason you want/use these crazy fragrances instead of just a bland one that only prevents your sweat from smelling horribly.
  • I only use AXE because is the only brand of deodorant that has a non-antiperspirant version, for some reason I can't seem to find any other brand of plain old deodorant.

As for cologne I really don't use it that much, but if I must, I use Hugo Boss.
  • I use old spice or AXE. I don't have a preference.

It is nearing Christmas so I am sure someone will get me a cologne pack. I really hate that.
  • edited November 2008
    Unscented everything. I hate the smell of all that crap. I'm the kind of person that starts having nose problems inside a store with a lot of scented candles.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2008
    Bay Rum is good for an aftershave. It stigs much less than most aftershaves and it smelss very nice. The best cologne is Chanel Egoiste. The second best is Polo Crest, but they don't make it anymore. This is the second best Polo scent.

If you find any Hai Karate, let me know.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Unfortunately, my boyfriend uses AXE, but he doesn't stink and I don't really notice any particular smell coming from him. He probably won't change unless I buy him something different.

I have been thinking about buying him Acqua Di Gio by Giorgio Armani or Clinique Happy for Men.

I can't get enough of these two scents. My homeboys would always wear these scents, and I whenever we would hug, I would hug them just a tad bit longer so I could smell them. I would then say, "Damn, baby, you are smelling mighty fine." They wouldn't use it all the time, so everytime they did use it, I felt like it was a treat because I got to hang out with cute boys that smelled really good.
  • I use the Adidas Deep Energy deodorant, but I want to change it up, I think. I've also found that the AXE Proximity Bergamot has a nice scent to it.
  • edited November 2008
    I got an AXE deodorant thingy. As for aftershave or cologne, I have it somewhere, but I only use that for special occasions, which are far in between. As you see, I don't really have any suggestions, but I do have a question. What's the reason you want/use these crazy fragrances instead of just a bland one that only prevents your sweat from smelling horribly.
    Because they smell nice, and I enjoy smelling nice. Also, as a large male, my own funk is pretty terrible. It takes something a bit more than just sweat prevention to keep the odor down, as I sweat a fair bit when I get going. Unscented stuff doesn't hold up, and just lets my natural odor come through. Having some other scent masks the funk.

MrRoboto: Old Spice High Endurance is not an antiperspirant. Give it a shot; you might like it.

I'm not going to drown myself in cologne, either. I usually find that my body wash, plus deodorant, plus a splash of cologne, is enough to keep me smelling pleasant for many hours.

EDIT: Joe: Y'know, I think I've had that Polo Cologne once before, like a long time ago. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I don't at all remember what it smells like.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Stetson.
  • Because they smell nice, and I enjoy smelling nice. Also, as a large male, my own funk is pretty terrible. It takes something a bit more than just sweat prevention to keep the odor down, as I sweat a fair bit when I get going. Unscented stuff doesn't hold up, and just lets my natural odor come through. Having some other scent masks the funk.
    Ah yes, the only excuse worthy of a man.

• MrRoboto: Old Spice High Endurance is not an antiperspirant. Give it a shot; you might like it.
    I've never seen Old Spice deodorant in my country, unless its a roll-on or one of those gel like deodorants (I hate both types).
  • Stetson
    Pewpew!
  • I just buy an unscented speed stuck and be done with it.
  • Stetson
    Pewpew!
    I take it Stetson meets with Gomily's disapproval?
  • Meh. I'm just razzing him for the sake of razzing him. There are many more luscious scents than Stetson, though. Who wants cowboy parfoom?
  • edited November 2008
    Stetson.
    In all honesty, Stetson is the worst of the cheap colognes. I'd sooner wear Brut.

Don't buy cologne in the same store where you can buy an enema.
  • Do you think it would be possible to make a fragrance that makes me smell of blown out birthday candles?
  • edited November 2008
    Stetson.
    In all honesty, Stetson is the worst of the cheap colognes. I'd sooner wear Brut.
    Brut is pretty terrible. I'd rather wear AXE. And I'd rather cover myself in dead fish than wear AXE.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Dead Fish > AXE > Brut > Stetson
  • edited November 2008
    *Comical mental image of a fishmonger walking past a perfume stall with a fish over one shoulder and a disgusted look on his face.*
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I prefer baby powder or baby powder oil for smelling good. There's this perfume I liked from long ago that I ran out of and have no idea what the name of it was. Plus this knock off of a perfume for J-Lo or some celebrity gal I got from a dollar store. For deodorant I'll use pretty much anything. If I can't find mine I'll use my boyfriends. As long as I don't have smelly sweat pits it doesn't matter.
  • edited November 2008
    Burt's Bees makes a killer aftershave. Smells great, no alcohol, and moisturizes. Good stuff.

Hemp soap barely has a scent, so I use that because it gets me clean and I don't generally like soap scents. The only trace of a scent it has could be described as "earthy," I guess, but its a good smell and you really have to pay attention to notice it.

Crabtree & Evelyn make excellent-smelling shave soap.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited November 2008
    EDIT: I swear to god, if anyone suggests AXE, I'm going to reach across the Internet and strangle you. I don't want to smell like a douchebag.
    AXE
    Lulz.

As for me...I wear whatever deodorant is cheapest at wherever I'm buying it at. I don't really care for one scent over another, so to me it's basically all the same shit. Considering AXE sticks cost like 2x more than anything else, I never buy it.
    I don't use cologne or spray deodorant, either.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • AXE deodorant sticks (they make antiperspirants too but no aluminum shards in my pores), and I've tried Old Spice with success as well. Note: NO AXE spray. That stuff is just painfully reminding of the middle school locker room.

I'm actually pretty into the whole cologne scene. My dad is a chemist that works on developing formulations that are eventually sold to Estee Lauder, CK, Tommy Hilfiger, and other brands, meaning I can get some nice stuff every now and then. I usually vary my cologne choice based on the mood and the reason I'm wearing it. The Tommy Hilfiger "Summer" cologne, for example, smells crisp and less musky so I prefer it for more casual things and would wear it on a normal day. The bolder Tommy scent that I have is almost always reserved for more formal and classy affairs and the Estee Lauder "Pleasures" line tends to be a bit "fruiter" which is a nice contrast to the usual when I'm in the mood for it (there are more but hopefully you get the point).

The key to cologne in my opinion is to use just enough so that the smell is noticed if you walk by someone. It's always really pleasant for me to be out somewhere and smell a woman's perfume a second after she walks by me, as that way I'm not horribly overpowered by the scent. I've been told the same works the other way around so that's how I do it.
  • edited November 2008
    I recently switched to using an "ocean"-scented Speed Stick deodorant because it was the only non-antiperspirant I could find on the shelf that didn't smell extremely funky and man-like. Since I still am not totally a fan of the way the deodorant itself smells, I also use a few sprays of Secret body mist. Currently I have Southern Peach scent for that, though I'm not averse to their other scents.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • If I had a tad more spending cash, I'd get my colognes from Caswell-Massey. Lot of good stuff there. As it is, I don't, so I'm usually sporting the low-rent classic, "too-much-Old-Spice". :)
  • AXEdeodorant sticks(they make antiperspirants too but no aluminum shards in my pores), and I've tried Old Spice with success as well. Note: NO AXE spray. That stuff is just painfully reminding of the middle school locker room.
    This is exactly why I hate the AXE spray (besides the reason that it smells horribly). I don't really use any sort of cologne, and my deodorant choices are quite benign as so they don't really smell like anything.
  • edited November 2008
    My dad is a chemist that works on developing formulations that are eventually sold to Estee Lauder, CK, Tommy Hilfiger, and other brands, meaning I can get some nice stuff every now and then.
    That is extremely cool. Chemistry is a great science. Sometimes I really regret getting a degree in physics instead of chemistry. Someday I might fix that . . .
    The bolder Tommy scent that I have is almost always reserved for more formal and classy affairs and the Estee Lauder "Pleasures" line tends to be a bit "fruiter" which is a nice contrast to the usual when I'm in the mood for it (there are more but hopefully you get the point).
    I've tried that "Pleasures" stuff. It's okay, but I have never found anything that I like better than Chanel Egoiste.
  • edited November 2008
    AXE
    Lulz.
    I like to live dangerously. Live dangerous, smell dangerous.
    Post edited by Omnutia on