This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rick Astley in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Just saw it announced at the start of the parade. His website puts him on the Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends float. No clue what he'll be doing on there, but...

I don't know if rick-rolling is still "in", but I'm willing to bet that if Rick Astley himself actually manages to rick-roll the audience of the Macy's Parade, live, the timeliness of it would be moot.

I just felt I should share.

Comments

• Rick Astley understand the Rick Roll very well. It's impossible for him to Rick Roll the audience of the parade. In order for it to be a Rick Roll the person has to ask for it. They have to be tricked into clicking on a link, opening a door, pushing a button, etc. If he just goes down the street singing, that's not rolling anybody. He knows that, and has said so himself, so I'm sure he'll be cool.
  • Yeah. Though I think its a good enough song to stand up on its own if he sings it.
  • No way. I gotta see this.
  • It's impossible for him to Rick Roll the audience of the parade.
    Maybe it's impossible in the traditional sense of the Rick Roll, but if he were to be singing some Christmas music, and then suddenly have the music and marching bands cut into it mid-song, that would be pretty epic. Sure, the song doesn't really lend itself to marching band adaptations, but it would still be awesome.
  • It lacked the crazy dancer :P
  • edited November 2008
    I just saw it and flew to this website hoping there would be an outrage.
    It is so dumb, but according to the announcers it's an "International sensation".

I mean I'm glad the internet's jokes are becoming main stream... but it's such a bland joke. Though I never did like it that much, even when people were first doing it.
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • I approve of this Rickroll.
  • Not the most horrible rickroll. The Rick of the roll is rickrolling!
  • America got Rick-rolled, and they don't even realize it.
  • It wasn't a rick-roll, everyone knew or expected it. Now if instead of singing "Never Gonna Give You Up" sang any other of his singles, THEN it would have been a true Rick-roll.
  • Is it me or does Blue look like a phallus?
  • If anything is the definitive end of this meme, it's that. I still liked it, though.
    Blue is a phallus.
    Blueisa phallus.
    There's probably a picture Rule 34-ing Blue, but I'd rather not see it. At any rate, I think cartoon network quite successfully rick rolled America this morning.
  • Is it me or does Bloo look like a phallus?
    Bloo is a phallus.
    There's probably a picture Rule 34-ing Bloo, but I'd rather not see it. At any rate, I think cartoon network quite successfully rick rolled America this morning.
    Haven't you guys seen the show? His full name is Blooregard Q. Kazoo.
  • Haven't you guys seen the show? His full name is Blooregard Q. Kazoo.
    No, it was after our time.
  • Haven't you guys seen the show? His full name is Blooregard Q. Kazoo.
    QFT. I heard about the show, but never seen it.
  • edited November 2008
    Haven't you guys seen the show? His full name is Blooregard Q. Kazoo.
    QFT. I heard about the show, but never seen it.
    After my time too, but that doesn't mean it isn't awesome. Craig McCracken also worked on 2 Stupid Dogs, Dexter's Laboratory, and Powerpuff Girls along with Genndy Tartakovsky(who also did Batman: tAS, Samurai Jack, and Star Wars: Clone Wars), all of which are great shows. These are the two guys that are saving American 2D animation.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • who also did Batman: tAS
    No he didn't.
  • who also did Batman: tAS
    No he didn't.
    Yeah, he worked on it.
  • Bloo is a dick because he is the personification of Mac's ID.
  • There's probably a picture Rule 34-ing Bloo, but I'd rather not see it.
    You've obviously never seen this shirt.
  • That's not that bad, there have been worse. DX
  • There's probably a picture Rule 34-ing Bloo, but I'd rather not see it.
    You've obviously never seenthis shirt.
    That made me lol in real life.
  • Oh gosh...I was just on /b/. There is a phallic Bloo, and it so very wrong...
  • Regardless of whether or not this is a Rickroll, I like Rick Astley. It's cool that he's getting so much press.
  • The emaciated gray creature at the end of the video that yells "I like rick-rolling" is the Digg community incarnate.
  • Did you know that Lindsay "Z" Briggs was puppeteering Bloo in that actual clip? The more you know...