This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Family Codes and Rituals.

edited November 2008 in Everything Else
Well, Being inspired by This weeks' B3ta Quote of the week, I'm starting this thread.

Freddy Woo writes, "as a child we used to have a 'whoever cuts doesn't choose the slice' rule with cake. It worked brilliantly, but it's left me completely anal about dividing up food - my wife just takes the piss as I ritually compare all the slice sizes."

What codes and rituals does your family have?
One per post, yeah?

My mother grew up in a small town up north, that we go to often. Every time when we were younger, she used to point out a particular house, and tell us about how she used to rollerskate in the ballroom of that grand old house. Fast forward a few years, everyone is telling the story together. Fast forward a few more - Every time we pass it, we mention it. Even if we're on our own, or with non-family people. The look of confusion on my Girlfriend's face was priceless.

Comments

• Every time me, my sister, and my cousins were together and we were all eating ice cream, someone would have to yell "what would miss manners say?" and the rest of us would yell back "stick your nose in your ice cream!" before proceeding to do so.
  • Every year after Christmas Eve dinner, my mom brings out "Christmas Pie," which is essentially an oversized pie or cake tin covered with wrapping paper. There are four ribbons sticking out of the sides, and each ribbon is labeled with a name and attached to one tiny present inside. The presents are always marked "From: Pie Santa. :-)" We each take turns pulling on ribbons and taking out our presents, and that's about it. Apparently this tradition was passed down from my grandma on my mom's side, and goodness knows that if I ever have kids, I'll pass it down to them too. ;)

Oh, and we have a pretty solid ritual when it comes to playing Pictionary, which the family plays fairly often. We team up into two teams of two, and then whichever team I'm on proceeds to utterly cream the other team. It's one of my favourite rituals of all. ;)
  • At my Christmas Eve party we always have a grab bag gift and my Uncle John always brings either a Playboy or a Jugs as the gift. More often than not it is my grandmother who takes it and never seems to give it up.
  • Every Christmas Eve since my parents told my sister that Santa Clause wasn't real, We would always stay up until 12:01 and then open our presents.
  • If I beat my dad at ABC Monday Night Football for SNES on Christmas Eve, I get to open a small present early.
  • If I beat my dad at ABC Monday Night Football for SNES on Christmas Eve, I get to open a small present early.
    Did you ever?
  • edited November 2008
    My family has this thing we do on Thanksgiving called 7-11. I think it's my family only, cause I've never heard of it elsewhere...but correct me if I'm wrong.

We get a shitload of "gifts" together, most of them are stuff that people got for Christmas from the last year and are re-gifting, or just some lame gift that will end up getting re-gifted anyhow (candles, $10 makeup kits, ornaments, etc). Despite that, everyone always loves to play it.
    Basically, you put a few gifts on a table, then pass around 2 die. If you roll a 7 or 11 you get a gift. After all the gifts are gone, you open them. Then there is a 2 minute stealing round where if you roll a 7 or 11, you get to take a gift from someone. After the 2 minutes are up, everyone gets 1 last roll. Then you keep your gift(s) after that.

Awhile ago I used to come back from 7-11 with some decent candy or something like that, but this year I came up dry, and mostly by choice since there was almost nothing worth...anything, unfortunately.

I think in the coming years we need to enforce a quality over quantity rule. I think people like the quantity since it kills more time (more gifts = more rounds). But really, most of the gifts have been horrible lately, and we've been having like 5+ rounds a year. I think if we cut down all the gifts and just had enough for 2-3 rounds, but made the gifts actually worth 2 shits, it might end up a little better.
    Post edited by Dkong on
    Did you ever?
    Of course! It was the only game he ever played, it was cute (if you knew my father you would understand). One day I'm going to buy him a Super Nintendo and that game for Christmas.
  • Thanksgiving day - Turkey dinner
    Thanksgiving plus one - Asian food
    Thanksgiving plus two - Turkey soup

Always.
  • On Christmas Eve, every TV in the house was tuned in to TBS and the 24 hour marathon of A Christmas Story. In recent years - since TBS rebranded to Peachtree and axed the marathon - we've just looped the copy on the media server.

Also, every Thanksgiving my grandmother calls me a Nazi. Her logic is that as Hitler was a vegetarian, all vegetarians are servants of the Third Reich.
  • Thanksgiving: Have Family Thanksgiving the Saturday or Sunday before at our house with all the extended family on the west coast. On Thanksgiving proper, meet in Chinatown for dim sum with whoever wants to meet there. Go (with just immediate family) to a hotel for thanksgiving banquet, night.

Christmas: Me and my brother could wake up pretty early, and as soon as our parents were up, we could each open one present. Then we would have Christmas breakfast, which ritually includes pancakes and a hot chocolate concoction made by my father known to involve steamed milk and melted Hershey's Chocolate, in addition to other unknown ingredients. This drink is heavy. Really, really heavy, to the point of one year forcing me and my brother to go lie down, on Christmas morning, instead of opening presents. After breakfasts, all presents are opened.