This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

CouchSurfing.com

edited November 2008 in Everything Else
So earlier this month I quit my job, packed everything I could into my car and left my house, family, and the horrible state I was living in. I'm planning on moving around the country in order to pursue my own happiness and perhaps a place to stay for the long-term. As of now, I'm in Austin, TX, but when/if I leave here, I'll be using Couch Surfing. So far, I can't imagine not having this site as a resource.

How many here use it and if so, would anyone want to start a GeekNights group?

Comments

• The vast majority of posters on the FRC forums do not own or rent their own home. As well, many of us who do also have roommates, who may not be cool with the idea. To top it all off, I wouldn't be cool with bringing a stranger into my home, even if my roommate wasn't.
  • I'll certainly allow good friends to crash with me for any length of time that is required for them to return to normal functioning status.

However, I would never take in a random couch surfer or let someone I sort of know crash on my couch for any length of time.

Good luck, by the way. Hope things work out for you.
  • I agree with Lusankya and TheWhaleShark. Good friends and/or family are welcome for extended stays. Less close friends are welcome for the occasional weekend. Random strangers are not invited to stay over. Besides, the honest truth is that my home is the place I go to get away from other people.
  • Wow, I am not like you guys. I would be okay with it - if I met them for a bit first. They would have to make sure they have somewhere else to go if I get any weird vibes from 'em.
  • The vast majority of posters on the FRC forums do not own or rent their own home. As well, many of us who do also have roommates, who may not be cool with the idea. To top it all off,Iwouldn't be cool with bringing a stranger into my home, even if my roommate wasn't.
    Really? The vast majority do not own or rent their homes? Really? The vast majority live in other people's homes (like their parents)? Maybe that is so, but it sounds incorrect to me.
  • The vast majority of posters on the FRC forums do not own or rent their own home. As well, many of us who do also have roommates, who may not be cool with the idea. To top it all off,Iwouldn't be cool with bringing a stranger into my home, even if my roommate wasn't.
    Really? The vast majority do not own or rent their homes? Really? The vast majority live in other people's homes (like their parents)? Maybe that is so, but it sounds incorrect to me.
    Rym and Scott have said on the show many times that many of their listeners are in high school. As well, while I don't have the time to dig for supporting evidence right now, I find that many posters speak of high school n the present tense.
  • Hmmm, it seems to me that many of you don't understand that this website is full of great people and has really great eBayish feedback system that ensures the safety of each host couch. You know who you are going to surf with and they in turn know who you are. Also the site has options that can tell people how many couch surfers someone is willing to host/length willing to put someone up.

What I like about the site the best is that it seems to be along the same humanistic wave-length that the people of Star Trek are on. "The economics of the future is somewhat different. You see, money doesn't exist in the 24th century... The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity."
  • edited December 2008
    Hmmm, it seems to me that many of you don't understand that this website is full of great people and has really great eBayish feedback system that ensures the safety of each host couch. You know who you are going to surf with and they in turn know who you are. Also the site has options that can tell people how many couch surfers someone is willing to host/length willing to put someone up.
    I undersand perfectly. I read the F.A.Q. on the website, and it seems like they really are doing the best they can to ensure that the people who use the service are safe. That doesn't make it foolproof though, and it also does nothing to change the fact that I have an extreme amount of distaste for the idea of sharing my home with someone I met over the internet. They could have links to police background checks for prospective guests/hosts, and I still wouldn't volunteer my apartment or want to stay with a random stranger.
    What I like about the site the best is that it seems to be along the same humanistic wave-length that the people of Star Trek are on. "The economics of the future is somewhat different. You see, money doesn't exist in the 24th century... The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives.We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity."
    I think I see the point you're trying to make here, but money has nothing to do with my reluctance to allow strangers to stay with me.
    Post edited by misakyra on
  • From the half dozen people who I know who have used this service, either as a surfer or a couch provider, all but one has had sex through this service. There are two other people besides but they are a couple so I'm sure the "rules" are slightly different.

You are right, it isn't about money, but it's also got nothing to do with bettering humanity. Or on on the large scale.
  • I have been a member for a while, but nobody wants to come to my town :(

I tried contacting a couple people about staying in D.C. but nobody answered me.