This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPod capable car radios

edited December 2008 in Technology
I recently got a used 2005 Matrix. In my previous car I used a tap deck adapter to listen to my iPod. This car has a CD player (something I haven't had into he past), but no tape deck. My first car had neither, and I ended up using one of those iTrips... which never seemed to work quite right. And after using a tape deck, the sound quality is horrendous on the fm transmitters. I'd like to be able to listen to my iPod again. So in addition to searching online, I was wondering if anyone knew of, or were using any, good replacement radios to place into the car that has either a MP3 jack or full iPod integration.

Comments

• First, here's a hint. If you have an FM transmitter, remove your car's radio antenna, if possible. It should help a lot.

Secondly, just about every car radio these days, even the cheapest one at Best Buy.com has an AUX input on the front. Basically, you buy a cable that has a stereo mini (normal headphone) plug at both ends. One end goes in the iPod, the other end goes in the car stereo. You still have to look down at your iPod to use it, but it works a million times better than any sort of FM transmitter.

Lastly, you can get something that is the "real deal". I bought the Audio Link iPod Integration Kit for Mazda shortly after buying the car. It has been nothing but amazing ever since. Basically how it works is one end goes in the back of the car stereo. The other end goes into the dock connector on the iPod. There's a little box in-between that does all the work. The little box basically tricks the car stereo into thinking that the iPod is an external CD changer, the kind you put in the trunk. Then it translates all the CD changer commands into iPod commands. When you tell the car stereo to change discs, the iPod changes playlists. When you tell it next track, it tells the iPod, um, next track. The best part about this solution is that my car as stereo controls on the steering wheel. Thus, I can control the iPod without taking my hands off the wheel.

The particular model I mentioned is obviously for Mazda, but if you do some Google searching, I'm sure you will find similar products for your car. A quick search came up with this. But you should probably do some more research before you buy. I'm sure there are some Toyota Matrix owner's forums online that will help you a lot. Also, keep in mind that I installed this thing all by myself, but it required opening up my dashboard a bit. If you are afraid of doing such a thing (it's really not that hard), you'll have to pay someone else to do it.
  • edited December 2008
    First, here's a hint. If you have an FM transmitter, remove your car's radio antenna, if possible. It should help a lot.
    I had the same result by putting a splitter on my antenna wire, then leaving one lead to the antenna, and connecting the other directly to the body.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • First, here's a hint. If you have an FM transmitter, remove your car's radio antenna, if possible. It should help a lot.
    I had the same result by putting a splitter on my antenna wire, then leaving one lead to the antenna, and connecting the other directly to the body.
    As long as your car doesn't have a plastic or carbon-fiber body.
  • If you have a tape deck in the car just get a tape adapter.
  • As long as your car doesn't have a plastic or carbon-fiber body.
    You say that like I could afford one. But in that case, Try hooking it directly to the chassis.
  • If you have a tape deck in the car just get a tape adapter.
    Ah, no. Tape adapters completely suck. If your car still has a tape deck, get a new car stereo.
  • edited December 2008
    I started with FM transmitter, then went to tape deck. Tried going back, and quality sucked. I'm sure once I go to the new direct MP3 jack I'll never want to touch a tape deck either. FM transmitter < Tape deck < MP3 jack < Full iPod integration. My thinking after looking around, is the cost of full integration, with a screen, is only a $200 or so more expensive than a simple MP3 jack radio, and on top of that they typical have one of those too.
    Post edited by Tasel on
  • I really love the idea of the Alpine iDA-X300/x200/x100 line of Digital Media Receiver. It forgoes even having a CD player. Considering most my music is in digital form this is awesome, no more media to scratch. Plus as an added bonus they have wheels that behave like an iPod, and the top end x100 has a screen for album art.

I have a Pioneer FH-P8000BT Receiver. I chose this because I wanted a double din size, full iPod integration, USB, and Bluetooth. Its a little hard to get used to navigating menus, but once you figure it out, this thing is golden. You can answer your phone through the receiver and talk through the included microphone, its so convenient (especially if you are in a no cell phone while driving state).
  • FM transmitters or cassette adapters? I have had the same problems as listed in that article (tape clicking/FM availability) and have found tape adapters the best option for me.

Does anyone have frequency range or noise data associated with both transmitters and adapters?
  • edited December 2008
    The range is going to vary incredibly depending on location. Back when I was driving up the NY Thruway, I'd have to switch channels halfway home due to different local radio stations. The frequency that worked down by my work (Apple Store in Nyack, NY) but would then die about an 45 minutes north. A great location to find stations that are avalible in your area is the iTrip Station Finder 2.0. Not sure how accurate is is now a days as the list in its software was based back in 2004, but can't imagine it's change that much. I used to recommend the software when I used to work for apple selling those things, and people asked what station would work best for the FM transmitters. However on my end, having used a tape deck, I can't go back to FM. The sound quality just isn't as clean for me, plus around here in CT there are no frequencies I can get to work (and I don't plan on losing my AM/FM radio option by removing the antenna).

EDIT: Yea, so I completely forgot not everyone uses a Mac here (I know... shock). Another web'd based soltuion is Sirius's FM station finder. Just enter your zip code, and it pops out station frequencies.
    Post edited by Tasel on
  • edited December 2008
    I started with FM transmitter, then went to tape deck. Tried going back, and quality sucked. I'm sure once I go to the new direct MP3 jack I'll never want to touch a tape deck either. FM transmitter < Tape deck < MP3 jack < Full iPod integration. My thinking after looking around, is the cost of full integration, with a screen, is only a $200 or so more expensive than a simple MP3 jack radio, and on top of that they typical have one of those too.
    You have to watch out with full on iPod integration. My friend has a Scion xD that has iPod integration and the only plus sides to it are that you can change tracks with the steering wheel or right on the console itself. The downside is that it makes the iPod completely locked, which sucks because if you have a shitload of songs, that scroll wheel is really nice. My friend has over 10,000 songs, so trying to change tracks without unplugging the iPod, changing the song, then plugging it back in is a headache.

Obviously not all integration systems are going to be like that, but just be sure of what you're getting into.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • The downside is that it makes the iPod completely locked, which sucks because if you have a shitload of songs, that scroll wheel is really nice. My friend has over 10,000 songs, so trying to change tracks without unplugging the iPod, changing the song, then plugging it back in is a headache.

Obviously not all integration systems are going to be like that, but just be sure of what you're getting into.
    That's a shitty integration system. Mine does not lock the iPod. All it does is control the iPod, and recieve the digital audio from it.

In addition to analog aux headphone input holes and iPod dock connectors, there is actually another kind of DMP integration. That is USB. Some cars out there have USB ports. You just connect any standard USB storage device, and it will look for mp3s on there, and let you play them. Codec support and user interface varies, but it's still a lot better than tape adapter or FM transmitter.
  • Yeah one of my friends was talking about USB ports when he was getting a new system in his car.
  • I just realised - check your Current car stereo for auxilliary input jacks at the back - Quite a few have RCA jacks in the back, therfore only requiring a RCA to 3.5 cable.
  • Aux input is the way to go. My friend bought me a stereo that's laid out the way I like it (in blocks and not random-ass all-over-the-place shit), plays MP3 CDs, and has an aux input 4 years ago. When I got my new car, I took the stereo out of my old car and put it into the new one because I love it so much. The Aux Input allows perfect transmission from not just your iPod, but any portable media player with a headphone jack. The downside is that you can't control the iPod from your car stereo.

If you go that way, make sure you don't pay $20 for the cable. You can get one for like $5-$10 if you look in the right section. NOT car audio...the portable media/cables/headphones section will usually have a cheap one you can buy. They're all just cables.
  • If you go that way, make sure you don't pay $20 for the cable. You can get one for like $5-$10 if you look in the right section. NOT car audio...the portable media/cables/headphones section will usually have a cheap one you can buy. They're all just cables.
    This is the cable you are looking for. It's $10 for 6 feet. Since you don't need 6 feet of cable in your car, you should pay a lot less.
  • If you go that way, make sure you don't pay $20 for the cable. You can get one for like $5-$10 if you look in the right section. NOT car audio...the portable media/cables/headphones section will usually have a cheap one you can buy. They're all just cables.
    This is the cableyou are looking for. It's $10 for 6 feet. Since you don't need 6 feet of cable in your car, you should pay a lot less.
    Unfortunatly I have yet to find one of those cables that is under 6 feet. I really only need 2-3 feet. The 6 foot cable gets tangled up easily.
  • Unfortunatly I have yet to find one of those cables that is under 6 feet. I really only need 2-3 feet. The 6 foot cable gets tangled up easily.
    I have one that is a few inches long. You can always make the cable, it's easy.