This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Okay then! How DO atheists act!?"

edited December 2008 in Everything Else
I was in the car the other night coming back from volunteering. My aunt turned to me and said "You sure you're an atheist?"
"Huh? What do you mean?" I said.
"Your demeanor, your "spirit" is not like someone who doesn't believe in God." "What!" I exclaimed. "Is it because I went to the shelter to help! People of all beliefs help other people and-"
"That's not what I mean. I mean you just don't" she interrupted.
"Is it because I care about things and people? What are you trying to say?" "I'll talk to you about it later."
"It sounds like you don't even have a clear answer or question. What do you think people who aren't Christians are?"
"I'll talk to you about it later."
"You are strawmaning."

Anyway, based on my observations what really makes atheists different. I mostly see cool, intelligent or just regular people. I see the same with my Christian friends or Muslim relatives or whatever they are. If you run into an asshole hypocritical Christian or an douche bag atheist that doesn't mean everyone in that group is like that.

Anyway, have anyone had this type of confrontation or argument. I'm kinda curious.

Comments

• PeopleBelievers expect us to: constantly shout profanities, give everyone the finger, shove old ladies in front of buses, have sex all day long in the middle of Central Park in every position that is not the missionary position (don't forget to tell the cops to fuck off, while flipping them the bird and resisting arrest), vote for Obama, smoke drugs, kill and eat babies, overthrow the government, plant bombs, hijack planes, etc.

Generally, we're expected to be moral-less. They think that denouncing god includes losing your heart.

Thankfully I haven't had the pleasure to speak to such people.
  • edited December 2008
    Theists often believe that people who don't believe in a god, have no morals as they think only religion dictates you to be moral and defines what is moral and what is not. I on the other hand say is that if you are only smiling for the omnipotent surveillance camera in the sky, you lack any kind of natural human compassion or morals and are even worse.

Oh yeah, and please take care of the spelling mistake in the title. It's really annoying to constantly see erroneous thread titles in a forum that supposedly prides itself in the attention it pays to not be a kiddie forum where people are unable or unwilling to use the spell-check of Firefox or the forum itself provides.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited December 2008
    have sex all day long in the middle of Central Park in every position that is not the missionary position
    Tell me more.
    Post edited by Railith on
  • Theists often believe that people who don't believe in a god, have no morals as they think only religion dictates you to be moral and defines what is moral and what is not.
    I on the other hand say is that if you are only smiling for the omnipotent surveillance camera in the sky, you lack any kind of natural human compassion or morals and are even worse.
    This.

It's funny how people whose beliefs ostensibly say that you should be altruistic can't conceive of somebody doing so in the absence of any sort of reward. They've been taught that godless people are wicked and evil, so they just can't figure out how an atheist could actually do something nice for someone.
    edited December 2008
    Oh yeah, and please take care of the spelling mistake in the title. It's really annoying to constantly see erroneous thread titles in a forum that supposedly prides itself in the attention it pays to not be a kiddie forum where people are unable or unwilling to use the spell-check of Firefox or the forum itself provides.
    Agreed. In the case of Firefox, why not just also let it spell-check single line input fields?
    Tell me more.
    I should've used 'rape' instead of 'have sex'.
    Post edited by ... on
  • kill and eat babies
    Wait, you guys don't do this?
  • kill and eat babies
    Wait, you guys don't do this?
    Not anymore. I moved up a few age categories. When the child just starts to get a lasting conciousness. Babies cry whether or not you're going to kill them.
  • Oh yeah, and please take care of the spelling mistake in the title. It's really annoying to constantly see erroneous thread titles in a forum that supposedly prides itself in the attention it pays to not be a kiddie forum where people are unable or unwilling to use the spell-check of Firefox or the forum itself provides.
    Agreed. In the case of Firefox, why not just also let itspell-check single line input fields?
    Firefox doesn't underline mistakes in the title for some reason so I didn't catch it. In the paragraph it underlined mistakes fine.
  • Theists often believe that people who don't believe in a god, have no morals as they think only religion dictates you to be moral and defines what is moral and what is not. I on the other hand say is that if you are only smiling for the omnipotent surveillance camera in the sky, you lack any kind of natural human compassion or morals and are even worse.
    What you are saying if true. Often we think that way. When I first arrived to this country I had a very bias idea about atheism and I even felt sorry for them. Then I read about all the Jewish people that lost their faith after WW II and I felt even more sorry for them. I mean to loose faith in something that is intrinsic to ones community. But then I starting reading more and more. And I realize my mistake, I was very close minded. I am Catholic and I think that it does not matter what you say you are but what matter are your actions. Because they are the ones that define us.
  • PeopleBelieversexpect us to: constantly shout profanities, give everyone the finger, shove old ladies in front of buses, have sex all day long in the middle of Central Park in every position that is not the missionary position (don't forget to tell the cops to fuck off, while flipping them the bird and resisting arrest), vote for Obama, smoke drugs, kill and eat babies, overthrow the government, plant bombs, hijack planes, etc.

Generally, we're expected to be moral-less. They think that denouncing god includes losing your heart.

Thankfully I haven't had the pleasure to speak to such people.
    Well, to be fair a small number of atheists I know do shout profanities, smoke drugs, wish for the overthrow of the government (but vote for Obama anyways), and have sex all day while giving everyone the finger. :)

The problem with being a member of any group is that you'll always be held accountable for the actions, behaviors, and opinions of any vocal minorities inside your group. It's like how if you're an anime fan you're going to have to answer for the sweaty hentai fanboy types, even if you never watch the stuff and can actually talk to people without embarrassing yourself.
  • edited December 2008
    Anyway, have anyone had this type of confrontation or argument. I'm kinda curious.
    I did have this one once:
    {snip}
    "Well, I don't believe in God."
    "But you seem so nice!"
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I have one atheist friend who is probably the single most loving and benevolent human being I know. One of the reasons I'm finding that Catholicism (Born and raised, yeah) isn't working for me anymore is partially because the idea of a girl like her being punished for eternity just because she didn't believe in some little thing is appalling and borderline disgusting. Also, the whole "problem of evil" and "Catholic high school indoctrination." Religion class this year is like a Chinese reeducation camp: "NO MULTIPLE SALVIFIC PATHS. THE DALAI LAMA GOES TO HELL. GOOD AND EVIL ARE ABSOLUTES." It's repulsive.

So that's that. The atheists I know are inherently kinder than some (not all) of the Christians I know, one in particular who seems to believe that her ivory tower is impenetrable because of her beliefs. Combine this with some other stuff I've been through, and I'm almost completely done with my faith.

Zen Buddhism has always seemed more sane, anyway. No strict commandments, just a philosophy for living compassionately. Even without God.
  • edited December 2008
    Do you go to a straight Catholic high school, or one run by one of the different orders? I ask because the Jesuits in particular, at least in my experience, are much more reasonable and interesting and in some ways comparable to Buddhist ways of thought, and it would probably be worthwhile for you to check some of the modern Jesuit stuff out.
    Post edited by rhinocero on
  • the Jesuits in particular
    It's a Jesuit school; however, few priests are on the faculty and religion classes are taught by the laity. My current religion teacher is an apologist Catholic who views other religions as inferior and shouts down any student who dares disagree with her; she considers premarital sex, birth control, and divorce as abominations, and overall holds herself to an abnormal standard of holiness. Oh yes: she also considers the rise of the modern age to be the complete downfall of human morality.

I really like the Jesuit point of view (Liberation theology? Priests in common dress with AKs? Liberation in general? Fuck yeah!), but it's never been extensively taught to me. I'm finding Buddhism far less restrictive and objectionable than the church, which to me feels corrupted by human influence. I dunno. It's a tricky subject.
  • edited December 2008
    Oh yes: she also considers the rise of the modern age to be the complete downfall of human morality.
    As every age was to the one before it, good job..
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • the Jesuits in particular
    It's a Jesuit school; however, few priests are on the faculty and religion classes are taught by the laity. My current religion teacher is an apologist Catholic who views other religions as inferior and shouts down any student who dares disagree with her; she considers premarital sex, birth control, and divorce as abominations, and overall holds herself to an abnormal standard of holiness. Oh yes: she also considers the rise of the modern age to be the complete downfall of human morality.
    Yeah, I had one of those teachers, they kind of suck. But then I also had a teacher who was pretty straight up about social justice stuff, and another who was pretty much Buddhist. I mean, I guess all you can do in that class is get by. But at least keep in mind it might be the teacher more than the material.
    I really like the Jesuit point of view (Liberation theology? Priests in common dress with AKs? Liberation in general? Fuck yeah!), but it's never been extensively taught to me. I'm finding Buddhism far less restrictive and objectionable than the church, which to me feels corrupted by human influence. I dunno. It's a tricky subject.
    Liberation theology is ridiculously awesome, as is a lot of the more mystical parts of Jesuit thinking (Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, for example). But it is a tricky subject, and you have to go with what you believe. I just don't want people to give Catholicism and religion in general short shrift. I realize this may make me somewhat abnormal around here.
  • Oh yes: she also considers the rise of the modern age to be the complete downfall of human morality.
    As every age was to the one before it, good job..
    Good answer: "I think I prefer to live in a time where people get stoned with marijuana than with rocks."
  • RymRym
    edited December 2008
    I just don't want people to give Catholicism and religion in general short shrift.
    Except for the fact that they have no divine inspiration and arose out of secular origins. ;^)

Religion as a culture, guide, way-of-life, philosophy, or what-have-you is fine and interesting and perfectly dandy. The "short shrift" only comes if someone wants to pretend that there actually, truly is a sky mage behind it all.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Except for the fact that they have no divine inspiration and arose out of secular origins. ;^)

Religion as a culture, guide, way-of-life, philosophy, or what-have-you is fine and interesting and perfectly dandy. The "short shrift" only comes if someone wants to pretend that there actually, trulyisa sky mage behind it all.
    Fixed that for you.

So here is a question, which came first? Society or Religion. I always though it was kind of convenient that religious values for the most part reflect the values of a society.
  • So here is a question, which came first? Society or Religion. I always though it was kind of convenient that religious values for the most part reflect the values of a society.
    Society. The bible still says you should stone your children and homosexuals. Society finds stoning to be barbarous.
    Well, to be fair a small number of atheists I know do shout profanities, smoke drugs, wish for the overthrow of the government (but vote for Obama anyways), and have sex all day while giving everyone the finger. :)
    I bet you can find a beliefcult that demands the same things. ;)
  • Atheism alone is hardly a complete philosophical position; it's only one very specific aspect of such a thing. I guess theists are a little uncomfortable with this, because they have a very hierarchical approach to their philosophy (everything comes from God's duly appointed representative). Atheists have to find other, independent sources for these things; hence secular humanism, the Brights, and similar schools of thought.

I'd be curious to see how these theists who freak out over immoral atheists react to someone who identifies themselves as, say, a secular humanist rather than as an atheist.
  • edited December 2008
    Atheism alone is hardly a complete philosophical position; it's only one very specific aspect of such a thing. I guess theists are a little uncomfortable with this, because they have a very hierarchical approach to their philosophy (everything comes from God's duly appointed representative). Atheists have to find other, independent sources for these things; hence secular humanism, the Brights, and similar schools of thought.

I'd be curious to see how these theists who freak out over immoral atheists react to someone who identifies themselves as, say, a secular humanist rather than as an atheist.
    I've taken to doing that, actually. It's amazing how negatively people react to "athesit," yet when I say "secular humanist," they say, "Yeah, humanism! I'm all about that."

While I don't like rebranding in principle, it's so effective that I might just start doing it.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I've taken to doing that, actually. It's amazingly how negatively people react to "athesit," yet when I say "secular humanist," they say, "Yeah, humanism! I'm all about that."

While I don't like rebranding in principle, it's so effective that I might just start doing it.
    The fact that such a thing is effective is further demonstration of the fact that the person you are talking to is not thinking. You communicate the same idea to them with different words, and they react completely differently. Thus, it is obvious that no place in their minds are they actually converting words into ideas. Instead they are reflexively and mindlessly reacting to sensory input. Even if they have the potential for actual thought, they are not exercising it. Attempting to interact with an unthinking person is really no different than trying to argue with an IM chat bot. It's a complete waste of time. Even a wildly irrational person can be worth talking to if they are at least thinking.

If a person is not thinking, and is merely acting reflexively and instinctively, why should you bother to change your terminology to get them to act negatively or positively any more than you would care about getting the IM chat bot to agree with you? The first step, as is the first step with the chat bot, is to make them think. Once they are actually thinking, then you can go on to actually have meaningful intellectual interaction.
  • I've taken to doing that, actually. It's amazingly how negatively people react to "athesit," yet when I say "secular humanist," they say, "Yeah, humanism! I'm all about that."

The fact that such a thing is effective is further demonstration of the fact that the person you are talking to is not thinking. You communicate the same idea to them with different words, and they react completely differently. Thus, it is obvious that no place in their minds are they actually converting words into ideas. Instead they are reflexively and mindlessly reacting to sensory input. Even if they have the potential for actual thought, they are not exercising it. Attempting to interact with an unthinking person is really no different than trying to argue with an IM chat bot. It's a complete waste of time. Even a wildly irrational person can be worth talking to if they are at least thinking.

If a person is not thinking, and is merely acting reflexively and instinctively, why should you bother to change your terminology to get them to act negatively or positively any more than you would care about getting the IM chat bot to agree with you? The first step, as is the first step with the chat bot, is to make them think. Once they are actually thinking, then you can go on to actually have meaningful intellectual interaction.
    Oh, I concur. We need to teach people how to think critically first and foremost, and then we'll be able to converse with them.

The problem isn't that they aren't thinking per se, it's that they're conditioned. See, after I get someone to agree with my secular humanist ideas, I drop the bomb: that's what it means to be an atheist. Sometimes it doesn't work, but many times, I've gotten people to go, "Huh. I never actually thought about it like that before." Whether or not they actually change behavior is another story, but making any amount of progress like that is good.

Basically, I get people to agree with me, and then backtrack and show them that I was just being an atheist all along. It's tough to break somebody's mental conditioning, but that's the way to do it. You have to be polite, open-minded, and not preachy, and then show them that you can be all that, a good person, and an atheist. The people who are "savable" will really think about that, mull it over, and maybe change a little bit. Only the most irrational people will react negatively, and those people can then be marginalized.

Basically, I try to bring out the atheist in everyone, and show them that it's not all bad. At the very least, I get most people to admit to a more open-minded deistic approach, rather than a fervent one.
  • Scott, you bring up an interesting point.

If someone is simply reacting to the input (atheist) by doing a prescribed action (becoming enraged), is this any different than the Chinese Room problem? In other words, is it possible to retrain an unthinking person to start thinking, or are they lost once they get to a certain age / mental resolve?

I wouldn't be surprised if the backlash against atheism grew greater in the coming years, as more and more of the world is either philosophically or practically atheist. I mean, look at Asia and most of Europe. Many Britons, even though they may still consider themselves part of the Church of England, live their lives as atheists.
  • So you guys finally figured out why I list myself as a Agnostic Atheist Humanist Unitarian now :-p
  • vote for Obama
    We do. ;-p
  • edited December 2008
    In my experience, a lot of believers see atheists from a particular perspective - as bitter, angry people that have "lost" their faith. This idea of losing faith implies that having faith is the natural norm. To them,losing faith must be the result of some anger one has at or with God or gods. This point of view implies that atheists really do believe, but that they are acting like hateful, angry children - refusing to acknowledge something that they (atheists) know to exist. I am not certain that the truly religious can conceptualize that atheists have not lost anything, or that some never had faith to begin with. Beyond this, their world view is often structured on the idea that an evil entity fights against God or gods and "turns" people away from belief, therefore atheists are not only petulant children in their eyes, they are also associated with the demonic. This creates the unfortunate connection with atheism and devil worship. That combined with the fact that many people break away from religion in their teens - an age rife with melodrama, sexual awakening and rebellion - only solidifies the connections in their minds. Thus, the atheist is a deviant, a child, and a product evil forces. If someone genuinely believes such dogma, then I doubt that they could accept that any decent person was actually an atheist, I know for a fact that some believers cast athletes that are nice people as secret believers, or those that will come to God or gods in time - thus creating a cycle that never allows them to understand or accept the moral atheist.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • In other words, is it possible to retrain an unthinking person to start thinking, or are they lost once they get to a certain age / mental resolve?
    I would like to believe that everybody is capable of critical thinking, at any age (well, except when the mental faculties actually start to break down, but that's different). It's a bit of (possibly) naive optimism on my part, but that's my only bit of optimism, so I allow it. :P If somebody is truly incapable of critical thought, there's something very wrong with them.

Most of what we see is the result of people being taught to suppress critical thought. Remember that every major religion has to tell you specifically not to question it, as their beliefs cannot be confirmed by rational inquiry. The fact that you have to be told not to think indicates that thinking is the default setting for people. If the majority of people weren't innately thinking creatures, we wouldn't be here today.

Part of the problem we have today is information overload. We've been shoving information down people's throats ever since we've had the ability to do so, and now we have more information than can be retained at any one time. So, we teach people to be "open-minded," but we don't teach people how to separate good information from bad information. As a result, information of all sorts just gets jumbled around, and, well, people wind up believing anything that sounds convincing.

We need to re-teach people how to filter information. There was a time when we had so little information to learn, that we could afford to be as discriminating as possible with it, and to go to great lengths to acquire new knowledge. Now that we have too much information, we need to re-gear the process of teaching.

So, in other words, there's hope for most. We need to break people of the "open floodgate" mentality when it comes to information, and instead start instilling a sense of information discrimination into people. Everybody is capable of it, it's just that nobody is being made to do it. We're not conditioning people to use their critical thinking abilities, and that's what we need to be doing.
  • I was in the car the other night coming back from volunteering. My aunt turned to me and said "You sure you're an atheist?"
    "Huh? What do you mean?" I said.
    "Your demeanor, your "spirit" is not like someone who doesn't believe in God." "What!" I exclaimed. "Is it because I went to the shelter to help! People of all beliefs help other people and-"
    "That's not what I mean. I mean you just don't" she interrupted.
    "Is it because I care about things and people? What are you trying to say?" "I'll talk to you about it later."
    "It sounds like you don't even have a clear answer or question. What do you think people who aren't Christians are?"
    "I'll talk to you about it later."
    "You are strawmaning."

Anyway, based on my observations what really makes atheists different. I mostly see cool, intelligent or just regular people. I see the same with my Christian friends or Muslim relatives or whatever they are. If you run into an asshole hypocritical Christian or an douche bag atheist that doesn't mean everyone in that group is like that.

Every single day for the past month or so.