This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Should a person buy an Xbox 360?

edited December 2008 in Everything Else
I don't have any of the new consoles yet. I don't have a lot of time and I have plenty of games for my old consoles that I haven't finished yet. I like the games that have come out for the 360, but I'm a little concerned about the fail rate of the 360. Also, I'm concerned from what I read that many of my old Xbox games will simply not work.

What do you think? Should a person buy a 360?

Comments

• I don't have a lot of time and I have plenty of games for my old consoles that I haven't finished yet.
    Such is my life, and such is the only reason I don't own one.

If you play few games, you're probably better off with PC gaming at this point. There are a few solid games that are worth the money and time.
  • I'm waiting for XBox 4 at this point.
  • The 360 is probably the most well rounded console of this generation and there are a plethora of good games out for it (unlike the original XBox). What kinds of games do you enjoy anyway?
  • I'm waiting for XBox 4 at this point.
    Wait a tick. Are you planning to buy one or just find reasons other people are stupid for waisting money on another piece of crap?
  • edited December 2008
    I'm waiting for XBox 3 at this point.
    You see what they did there?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Are you planning to buy one or just find reasons other people are stupid for waisting money on another piece of crap?
    It's late enough in the cycle that, if you don't already own an Xbox, it might be better to wait. The next one, or else full PC support, may not be that far away.
  • What kinds of games do you enjoy anyway?
    Mostly war-related things like Call of Duty.
  • Are you planning to buy one or just find reasons other people are stupid for waisting money on another piece of crap?
    It's late enough in the cycle that, if you don't already own an Xbox, it might be better to wait. The next one, or else full PC support, may not be that far away.
    I disagree, with the economy as it is its very unlikely that we are going to see the console cycle this time be the same 5 year thing we've seen in the past. It's not in Microsoft's best interests to release a new console that is going to lose them money on each one that is sold, when they still aren't really making money on the ones they sell now. Sony on the other hand of course is apparently on the ten year plan with the PS3.

Now if you are looking to play a few games, PC is the way to go, but if you are planning to play a lot of games (or have specific games you want to play,) then console might be the way to go.
  • Well, I'm thinking more and more that Microsoft is going to eventually allow Windows PCs to also be fully functioning Xboxes, the actual physical Xbox simply being a nice, compact, easy way to play.
  • Well, I'm thinking more and more that Microsoft is going to eventually allow Windows PCs to also be fully functioning Xboxes, the actual physical Xbox simply being a nice, compact, easy way to play.
    While that would be awesome, I think they would make Xbox's run PC games before allowing Windows PCs to run Xbox games. Microsoft doesn't make money on PC hardware (the big parts that is), while they could make money on the sale of Xbox's when they market is as a multi-platform gaming console. Play all Original Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox 3 AND Windows PC games on one machine!
  • edited December 2008
    Well, I'm thinking more and more that Microsoft is going to eventually allow Windows PCs to also be fully functioning Xboxes, the actual physical Xbox simply being a nice, compact, easy way to play.
    While that would be awesome, I think they would make Xbox's run PC games before allowing Windows PCs to run Xbox games. Microsoft doesn't make money on PC hardware (the big parts that is), while they could make money on the sale of Xbox's when they market is as a multi-platform gaming console. Play all Original Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox 3 AND Windows PC games on one machine!
    Don't companies usually take hits on the console to sell games? Why would they want to continue selling a console when they can port all games to the PC and lose nothing. The X-box has made certain games hits and with this fan base they could just transfer them into buying PC games by having Halo and Gears of War (and other hits) slowly integrate into being PC. (Same date releases) This would cause no more loss from selling a system, and they continue to gain from the selling of games. Right?
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • Don't companies usually take hits on the console to sell games? Why would they want to continue selling a console when they can port all games to the PC and lose nothing. The X-box has made certain games hits and with this fan base they could just transfer them into buying PC games by having Halo and Gears of War (and other hits) slowly integrate into being PC. (Same date releases) This would cause no more loss from selling a system, and they continue to gain from the selling of games. Right?
    I was thinking from a point where they make the new Xbox version profitable. And by making the Xbox support all old Xbox games and Windows PC games, they can also shut out competition, like Steam. Just tack on the possibility to plug in a mouse and keyboard and you'll have a controllable, profitable, 'multi-platform' machine.

If they make Windows support Xbox games you get the problem of making pirating even easier, you'll lose control. You might also lose a bunch of console gamers because these do not want to purchase a PC that requires upgrading every so often. This last is a double edged sword though since you'll have PC gamers who won't go to the multi-platform console because they can't upgrade it and have over the top graphic performance.
  • I have thought about this, but I've found almost any game I want to play on X-box, eventually comes out on the PC and I don't have time to play the games I have anyhow, so I'm happy with my PC, Wii and DS.
    That might have been likely back in the days of the original xbox, which was little more then a locked down x86 computer. I don't think it will happen with the xbox 360. The 360 is a completely different architecture, which means that games must be ported to be compatible. I know that there are many tools that make porting easy between PC and 360; but two separate releases still need to be made.

Feel free to correct me if something has changed, or is changing that I'm not aware of.
  • That might have been likely back in the days of the original xbox, which was little more then a locked down x86 computer. I don't think it will happen with the xbox 360. The 360 is a completely different architecture, which means that games must be ported to be compatible. I know that there are many tools that make porting easy between PC and 360; but two separate releases still need to be made.

Feel free to correct me if something has changed, or is changing that I'm not aware of.
    XBox 360 games are built on Microsoft's XNA platform. If you make a game on the XNA platform, it will work on a Windows/DirectX PC or XBox, but you have to compile two different versions. You may have to change some code, but it is a very small amount. It's effectively trivial compared to what a port usually entails.

Now, if a game is built on DirectX, but not on XNA, it would still be some work to port it to 360/XNA. It wouldn't be as much work as if you were porting a game built on another platform, but it would still require some work.

If a game isn't built on the Microsoft Platform of DirectX/XNA, porting it to XBox is just as much work as any other port.

Capcom did a smart thing in that they now develop their games on their own platform which is cross-platform.
  • When I was torn between getting a good gaming PC and a 360, the final decision came when I realized I couldn't live without local multiplayer gaming. If you're planning on playing online a lot, go with the PC, but if you want to be able to invite some friends over, grab some snacks, and play something for more than ten minutes (hear that, Wii?), get yourself a 360.
    One hidden feature I always take advantage of is the XBLA. If I have a group of friends over, and we're all bored, we'll all just pool in $2 each and buy something from the marketplace.

Overall, I say it's the best console on the market (although that's not really saying much). And Microsoft will fix your console if it breaks, so, if you're not playing too much anyway, you don't have to worry.
    Although there are a bunch of rumblings about the new hardware update (It's codename is Jasper). You may be better off waiting until after the holiday rush.
  • Once the new hardware is out and I know it has been tested to be RROD proof, then I will make the plunge. I like to know my systems will not break when I buy them.
  • Out of 571 video cards currently for sale on NewEgg, 81 of them cost more than a new XBox 360. If you're looking to occasionally kick back and play a game without dropping a grand on a way to do it, I've gotta side with the xbox.

As for backwards compatibility, it's decent, but not great. I noticed pretty bad slowdown in Jet Set Radio Future, but it kinda works. Halo plays great, though. XD
  • PC, if you're playing little games just get: Counter-Strike:Source, L4D, & COD4. CS:S and L4D look good even on low, and you're not shoveling out $200 for something that might not work. IF you're really want a console but play little games, I would say a get a 360 because of all the Xbox games you have. If you still have your Xbox though, get a PS3.
  • It really depends if you are a PC gamer or a console gamer, I think. I personally don`t mind playing some PC games once in a while (WoW, soon to be TF2 and Portal and Space Trader and such) but I really prefer flopping on the couch with a remote on my hand and not be tempted to open up MSN and music at the same time. Also, I don`t have the option of making my TV my computer because I still live at home.

Look out for some sort of deal, which would most likely be on the Pro, which is what I think is best - 60 gigs and all you need from there is the wireless adapter and you`re online, which is the best part of a lot of games. Because they don`t sell that much, they tend to get deals on them. Here in my town, all the Pros we get are bundled already with Lego Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda, and we have a deal on ours that if you get it you get to choose from 1 of 5 games (they`re a list of fairly new and big hits) - therès others where you get other games, and so on and so forth.
  • I bought a new Xbox 360 from a pretty good Christmas offer (199 euros for the version with 60 gig drive). I plan to use it mostly for streaming videos and some Live board games. Kids will probably use it for "real" games. If we just could get Netflix too to Europe it would be just perfect.

For Blue-Ray I'll probably buy a separate player when their prices drop a blow 200 euros.
  • Look out for some sort of deal, which would most likely be on the Pro, which is what I think is best - 60 gigs and all you need from there is the wireless adapter and you`re online, which is the best part of a lot of games.
    This is at least getting close to the advice I was seeking. I've read articles on the web, but I wanted to know from people whose opinions I trust things like whether I should get the Pro or Arcade version, how likely the 360 really is to fail, whether the old Xbox games will work, etc.
  • From personal experience:

I haven't played any old xbox games.

I have the arcade version, and it's nice to have some room on your Xbox 360. If you're planning to play more than 20 (arcade/instaled/demo) games at once, you're better off with a bigger harddrive, but if you're only planning on playing 5 games at once, the arcade might just do it.

It has worked perfectly for me, but I haven't had it for very long.
  • A 360 and a computer that can comfortably play Valve/Blizzard games is all you need.
  • On the subject of backwards compatibility, it works well enough from my experience. Almost every decent-selling release on the first Xbox is compatible. It is true that the emulation is a bit sketchy sometimes, but there's hardly ever a deal-breaking bug. If you're really unsure about it Wikipedia has a very useful article listing all of the games which are backwards compatible, and any bugs that the game has on the 360.
  • I've read articles on the web, but I wanted to know from people whose opinions I trust things like whether I should get the Pro or Arcade version, how likely the 360 really is to fail, whether the old Xbox games will work, etc.
    It's a good idea to skip the Arcade version. With the latest Xbox software upgrade you can play your games from the hard drive and skip using the somewhat noisy DVD drive. There's also more and more stuff that you can download from the net to the Xbox so eventually you'll end up getting the hard drive in any case.

The Xbox version you can buy from stores right now run cooler and are less likelier to break than the first versions.
  • Look out for some sort of deal, which would most likely be on the Pro, which is what I think is best - 60 gigs and all you need from there is the wireless adapter and you`re online, which is the best part of a lot of games.
    This is at least getting close to the advice I was seeking. I've read articles on the web, but I wanted to know from people whose opinions I trust things like whether I should get the Pro or Arcade version, how likely the 360 really is to fail, whether the old Xbox games will work, etc.
    On the subject of backwards compatibility, it works well enough from my experience. Almost every decent-selling release on the first Xbox is compatible. It is true that the emulation is a bit sketchy sometimes, but there's hardly ever a deal-breaking bug. If you're really unsure about it Wikipedia has a very usefularticlelisting all of the games which are backwards compatible, and any bugs that the game has on the 360.

What Gunter said is very true. There is some backwards compatability; from what I've heard, you get Live and download an emulator and then you can do it, and only with a set list.

There are a few things, but they're pretty easy to avoid, in my opinion: red lights are covered by Microsoft, and except for a few bad batches, most tend to be pretty damned good for how well they work. Just in case, look into in-store warranties for convience - for example, at my store, we offer instore warranty for a year so you don't have to contact Microsoft and bug them to send you stickers. It doesn't happen very often that we get returns either, except for a brief bad batch a few weeks ago - it happens.

Also, when playing, DO NOT put it on it's side. Lay it down flat. A simple bump - I've heard from anything as remote as someone walking around the house to actually physically tapping it - will create laser burn on the game. It's a perfect circle on the spot it was playing, all around the CD. Sometimes it will continue to work; most of the time, it won't. This is easily avoided by simply laying it on it's side.

Coolers are a good thing as well, if you like playing for a long time. They keep it from overheating. Another good thing are game warranties; I think the only time they may not be useful is for DS games.

Most of the extra stuff I just mentioned is kinda to optomize it and helpful tips, but I find that if you don't know jack about what you're doing, you might mess up, and it's no good. :3
  • edited December 2008
    Just to add: I think the Arcade can't run Xbox 1 games due to it needing enough space to store the emulator. Just something I heard somewhere.
    Also, putting an XB3* in a cabinet with a lot of hot AV gear isn't a great idea, as is putting it on carpet.

*Does anyone think that looks like some guy in shades with an X shaved into his head doing the :3 expression?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • will create laser burn
    Laser burn? There's no such thing.
    It's a perfect circle on the spot it was playing, all around the CD.
    That wasn't caused by the laser: it was caused by your disc physically contacting something due to its rotational inertia when you moved your Xbox. It's a physical scrape. It can only happen if you rotate your Xbox while a disc is spinning.

Seriously.. Laser burn?
    Coolers are a good thing as well, if you like playing for a long time.
    Coolers are either unnecessary wastes of money, or else Microsoft made a defective product with insufficient built-in cooling. All they do is push air through, which the Xbox is already capable of doing.
    Another good thing are game warranties
    Game warranties are certainly not a good idea.
  • Seriously..Laser burn?
    I take it you have held a belief at some time in your life where you look back and thing the same thing.