This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sony is making another Walkman.

13»

Comments

• The older sansa clip plus' headphone jack would always break on me. After about a month of use it would start to fail on me. It would get loose, start losing audio on one side, and then fail completely.
  • It continues. Sony is really being dumb trying to court the mad audiophiles while becoming a laughing stock with everyone else.
  • In very similar news - Neil Young's PonoPlayer, a very similar concept to the Sony player, has come out no better than the iPhone in informal tests.

This might be because all of their claims are utter bollocks, and all of the extra information they're including in their files is literally beyond the range of human ability to hear.
  • Churba said:

In very similar news - Neil Young's PonoPlayer, a very similar concept to the Sony player, has come out no better than the iPhone in informal tests.

I heard about this stupid thing on Oddity Archive a while back. The host thought (and I agreed) that Neil Young was trying to overachieve on a largely impractical product. After reading those articles, though, it sounds like Young willingly lied and scammed a bunch of people out of their money. Jesus...
  • edited February 2015
    Daikun said:

I heard about this stupid thing on Oddity Archive a while back. The host thought (and I agreed) that Neil Young was trying to overachieve on a largely impractical product. After reading those articles, though, it sounds like Young willingly lied and scammed a bunch of people out of their money. Jesus...

I don't think it's that he lied, I think it's that he genuinely thinks it's better and didn't realize why it's really not actually that helpful, and when it's pointed out to him why it's wrong, he falls back on things that can't be measured, like claiming it puts the soul back in the music.

Then again, I'm pretty sure that part of the reason why music doesn't sound quite as good to Neil Young anymore might have something to do with near on 50 years of standing next to incredibly loud speaker stacks, combined with age, rather than the bit-depth of common audio formats.
    Post edited by Churba on