This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Need a quick solution for a super small device for traveling the world?

edited December 2008 in Everything Else
So, I have a friend who is traveling the world. He needs a small device for writing and occasionally accessing the internet, but needs a pretty long battery life, and most likely a second/third battery. I immediately thought about the ASUS eee PC, but I must be blind, because I can't find a good figure on battery life. Are there other better solutions for this? I even thought about a small GSM phone with a bluetooth keyboard, but I think that's more trouble then it's worth. What would you recommend?

tl;dr - My friend needs a small device for word processing and internet that is super light, somewhat cheap, has a long battery life, and can be used anywhere in the world.

Comments

• I think Dell has some 9'' laptops for less than 400$
  • Your friend is really going to need a GSM world phone of some sort, in order to get Internet anywhere in the world and have good battery life. However, to do more than the lightest word processing, they will need a laptop of some sort. Netbooks will have pretty good battery life, and are small. However, word processing wont' be so great on them. The keyboards are very small, and can be even more difficult to type quickly on than a cellphone qwerty keyboard.

The combo of smartphone and a full ultraportable notebook, not a netbook, is the way to go. You get the portable swiss army knife in the phone, and you can go back to the laptop when you need to do anything real-deal.
  • Care to define ultraportable notebook?
    I'm looking at the HP mini-1000 or MSI Wind for doing heavy typing and even with my bear-man hands I don't think I'll have much trouble.
  • edited December 2008
    Care to define ultraportable notebook?
    I'm looking at the HP mini-1000 or MSI Wind for doing heavy typing and even with my bear-man hands I don't think I'll have much trouble.
    Those are netbooks. They have really slow CPUs. The screens are really low-res and shitty. They have almost no storage space, often using only a very small amount of flash.

An ultraportable notebook is like the Fujitsu P series, Lenovo X series, Sony Vaio TT, Dell XPS M1330, Toshiba Portege, etc. They are full-on, fully powerful laptops. Core 2 duos, big hard drives, the whole shebang. They may be small, like less than 14", but they have high resolution screens. Lots of power, small package, high price. However, they also usually manage to have long battery life, often using double batteries and also having lots of battery saving features.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited December 2008
    Given your views I would still go with the netbooks for myself. For the traveler I would suggest the netbooks as well. The ultra portables (we really need to set up some proper category/class names) would be good for a business user but putting all that in a small space comes at possibly the highest premium to performance ratio around (I am using the X300 as the estimate so that assertion may be well off, it's about £1,200 ATM) and just looking at it, it looks super stealable.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Okay, I really appreciate the quick responses. Let me clarify a bit.

He's traveled the world before, but he wants to be a bit better prepared. That being said, he's fine with only using hotspots for his internet, and he doesn't think he'll have the need for the internet so often that he needs a phone to do it for him. I think he's just going to get a small GSM phone and do prepaid just so he has the ability to contact everyone.

Anyway, on the other side of things, wouldn't a netbook with a wireless bluetooth keyboard or something be better? Maybe link me a few of the ultraportable's you recommend, because we're kind of tight on time right now. I was able to pull away and check this post, that's about it.

Otherwise, I'd like to note that he really doesn't need the power. He is solely using this thing for word processing and short internet browsing. I don't see the small netbook CPU's being an issue.

Keep it coming. I really appreciate the help. :D

• Otherwise, I'd like to note that he really doesn't need the power. He is solely using this thing for word processing and short internet browsing. I don't see the small netbook CPU's being an issue.
    The main issue with the small netbook is that there isn't really a lot of storage on most of them to install a word processor, and not a lot of storage to save files. Even though the files are small, it's going to hurt. OpenOffice and MS Office are slow on desktops, there's no way you get that on the netbook. You can probably get away with Abiword, but will your friend know how to install that on a Linux netbook?
  • edited December 2008
    I get by with a 160GB drive (just barely) on my main laptop so a 120GB drive running just Linux or just Windows (I dual boot) should work fine. Interestingly, the MSI Wind is now almost completely Mac compatible if you want a cheap and portable Mac laptop (which I find hilariously ironic).
  • I get by with a 160GB drive (just barely) on my main laptop so a 120GB drive running just Linux or just Windows (I dual boot) should work fine. Interestingly the MSI Wind is now almost completely Mac compatible if you want a cheap and portable Mac laptop (Ironically).
    Just getting by with 160 gigs on the laptop? 160 gigs for a laptop is insane! My laptop has a 16GB SSD, and that's more than enough. You should not be storing files on your laptop hard drive. It is perhaps the least safe place in the universe. I always see people who want big laptop hard drives, and they store their mp3 collection on there. They are fools! The only thing that goes on a laptop hard drive is replaceable software.
  • edited December 2008
    Well, I doubt I'm insane but that 500GB 2.5" HDD is looking mighty alluring. On a more serious note: If your school ever offers you a laptop for the same price as an equivalent desktop, don't buy it (Especially a 17" one, they just don't do portable.).
    I use my laptop as my main PC but keep backups of anything important on the server. I strongly suspect my youtube-video/picture/mp3 collection is responsible for most of the space.

Hey Scott, people may have different needs and circumstances to your own.

Ok, back on topic. Assuming your friend isn't going to need much space for video or recording, the netbook with SSD (maybe an SD card too) would be a good bet. I'd recommend using Linux if you're sticking to simple task and it's easier to install programs (open synaptic, search, done) and you will almost certainly see a noticeable battery improvement.
  • I'll be around to install things on it, but he's leaving in around a week, so after that, he's on his own. He's not horribly knowledgeable, so do you think he can handle it on his own? I'm not really sure how hard it would be to manage, or if there would be anything to manage.

Anyway, he told me he's perfectly fine with Linux and Abiword. Whatever is fine, he's mainly using the word processor as a diary of sorts.
  • edited December 2008
    Oh, and put more RAM in it. More RAM is always good (within reason, 2GB is about right). If they sell extra sized batteries for the model you get, get the biggest one.
    Correction: Scratch the statement about battery power, the stock Linux and XP versions seem to vary from model to model in terms of battery life.
  • Hey Scott, people may have different needs and circumstances to your own.
    This is true. However, there is no need or circumstance for which storing large amounts of data on a laptop hard drive is a good idea. Just as there is no circumstance for which a laptop that is larger than 15" is a good idea. Nor is there a circumstance for which a "gaming" laptop is a good idea.
  • It may not be optimal but sometimes you have just got to make do.
  • How about the good old fashioned paper and a pen for the writing side of things if it is just for personal notes about his trip and stuff. They take up less room than a laptop, you don't have to insure them for a large amount of money and they don't need recharging.
  • It may not be optimal but sometimes you have just got to make do.
    That's just it. It's not a situation of "making do". A gaming laptop is more expensive, and less powerful, than a portable desktop. You can get a portable gaming desktop and a netbook, for other non-gaming portable computing needs, for less than the cost of a sufficient gaming laptop.

Even if you can afford only one computer, and you need it to be portable, so you only have a laptop, there is no reason to have all that data on the hard drive in the laptop. At the very least you should back it up on an external drive, use jungledisk, get a NAS, anything but keep it on the laptop drive.

Clearly there are different solutions for different needs. I'll be the first to tell you that. However, there are some technical solutions which are completely stupid because there is another solution which meets the same needs and is vastly superior.
  • How about the good old fashioned paper and a pen for the writing side of things if it is just for personal notes about his trip and stuff. They take up less room than a laptop, you don't have to insure them for a large amount of money and they don't need recharging.
    Though this is a good idea, we're talking about possibly two to three hours of writing. It just isn't feasible to me to keep that much paper and pens and that sort of thing in a foreign country. I mean, this guy is going to be gone for upwards of a year, not stopping at home.

So, do we have any specific outlooks as of right now?
  • edited December 2008
    Oh shit, I thought I'd written this but I didn't: I have a 250GB server that I keep the important stuff backed up on.
    The only reasonable use for a gaming laptop I have seen to date was a guy who needed to give presentations about their 3D modeling and animation work. Other than that, only in a Brewster's Millions situation would make me want something like that.

@VHB: Pens and paper, easily attainable in most places in the world. Even if you want good quality stuff, you can use the post office. Pen and paper is much preferable if you can manage it, much less stealable.
  • Even if you can afford only one computer, and you need it to be portable, so you only have a laptop, there is no reason to have all that data on the hard drive in the laptop. At the very least you should back it up on an external drive, use jungledisk, get a NAS, anything but keep it on the laptop drive.
    I use my macbook as my main computer, mainly because I don't want two computers. It isn't about affordability, it's to do with ease of use. I have quite a bit of data on my laptop and have never thought of any reason not to have it there.
  • A gaming laptop is more expensive, and less powerful, than a portable desktop. You can get a portable gaming desktop and a netbook, for other non-gaming portable computing needs, for less than the cost of a sufficient gaming laptop.
    Agreed. Plus, a lot of the greatest games (at least in my opinion) to play over LAN require relatively slim specs compared to stuff that only a gaming PC can handle. An ultraportable with good specs can handle classic Starcraft (a Dell XPS M1330 might be able to tackle SC2 at minimum settings, who knows), CS:S, Civ4, UT Classic through 2k4, and even some newer games. WoW, for instance, can run on almost anything (if that's what you're into).

I myself have been considering an XPS M1330 as my laptop, because it can handle almost anything you throw at it, with crazy battery life for what it is. The money I save from not buying some insane 17" gaming laptop fully decked-out with overpriced components (as some of my friends have foolishly done) can be used to build a relatively inexpensive PC for gaming and serving media.

In the end it's all about the right tool for the job, and for traveling (something I intend to do a lot of during and after college) and day-to-day extensive usage, you can't go wrong with an ultraportable.
    Though this is a good idea, we're talking about possibly two to three hours of writing. It just isn't feasible to me to keep that much paper and pens and that sort of thing in a foreign country. I mean, this guy is going to be gone for upwards of a year, not stopping at home.

So, do we have any specific outlooks as of right now?
    How about buying paper and pens locally, and mailing them home as they fill up? I'm sure that would be cheaper than buying an electronic gizmo to accomplish the same task.

I would use a DS+voice recorder, myself.
  • edited December 2008
    I use my macbook as my main computer, mainly because I don't want two computers. It isn't about affordability, it's to do with ease of use. I have quite a bit of data on my laptop and have never thought of any reason not to have it there.
    You say this until the hard drive crashes. Every hard drive will crash eventually. What would you do if your drive crashed right now and all that data was lost? If it's not a big deal, then don't worry about it. If you would die, then back that shit up right now! You have to assume that every magnetic hard drive you have will crash at any moment, especially a laptop one.
  • I'm getting SSD on my next laptop. Fuck that unreliable platter shit.
  • edited December 2008
    I'm getting SSD on my next laptop. Fuck that unreliable platter shit.
    Even if you get an SSD, don't store things on it and expect it to be reliable. SSDs actually also break. They can only be read and written so many times before it's game over. And unlike a magnetic drive, which has a chance of only partially screwing up, if a flash drive goes, it goes.

Also, one thing people don't seem to remember is that laptops are stolen and lost like crazy. You might think it won't happen to you, but are you really going to take that risk? There's a much higher chance of your laptop being stolen in college, at an airport, around town, etc. than a hard drive in your house in a computer being stolen. There's effectively a 0% chance of something like an Amazon S3 account being stolen, unless you give someone your keys. Even if your laptop drive never crashes, what will you do if it's stolen, and all of your important data is on there and nowhere else?
  • I use my macbook as my main computer, mainly because I don't want two computers. It isn't about affordability, it's to do with ease of use. I have quite a bit of data on my laptop and have never thought of any reason not to have it there.
    As long as you keep backups thats fine. I also use my macbook as my one and only computer. I have upgraded the drive to a 7200 rpm, 160 gig drive. I do regular backups to another drive using SuperDuper!. Not everyone has the space to house a desktop and monitor.
  • You could buy something like this. It's not exactly cheap but it would work and it is very portable.
  • Even if you get an SSD, don't store things on it and expect it to be reliable. SSDs actually also break. They can only be read and written so many times before it's game over. And unlike a magnetic drive, which has a chance of only partially screwing up, if a flash drive goes, it goes.
    Yeah, I guess you're right. Plus, it's also an extra $400. I think I'd be ready to accept the risks of a magnetic drive if it's seriously that expensive to get some extra reliability and battery power.
  • You say this until the hard drive crashes. Every hard drive will crash eventually. What would you do if your drive crashed right now and all that data was lost? If it's not a big deal, then don't worry about it. If you would die, then back that shit up right now! You have to assume that every magnetic hard drive you have will crash at any moment, especially a laptop one.
    Scott, if your only point is that laptop hard drives break or that you can lose your laptop or have it stolen, then... duh!

But you said there was no reason to have lots of data on your laptop hard drive. There are lots of reasons. I do podcasting, video editing, music writing and lots more. Some of those files I keep on external drives, but the internal drive is quicker for both reading and writing, which isn't only more handy, it actually makes the difference between being able to record data at high rates in real time or not. Another reason is that I move my laptop about all the time when I'm using it, sometimes it is on my desk, sometimes it is in my studio, sometimes I have it on in the car to pipe music into the stereo, sometimes I use it on a plane, sometimes I use it in bed. To have to have an external hard drive plugged in just to get my files is just too much work.

For your information, I use Time Machine almost every day. If my hard drive crashed right now I'd be able to restore my macbook to how it looked like last night at midnight. On top of that I have a 400GB hard drive where I back up all my personal files (doesn't save system files), a 500GB hard drive where I backup my backup and two portable hard drives for backing up data when traveling (so if I take a load of photos while away, and my laptop is stolen, the portable drive travels in hold luggage, at least on copy of the data should make it home).

I don't mind you giving advice about backing shit up, what I do mind is you making absolute statements about what someone does or does not need. What is good for you is not always suitable for other people.

PS. I do have another computer, but I only turn it on to play NS.
  • edited December 2008
    luke, I think you're confused here. I'm not talking about having data on the laptop hard drive, I'm talking about storing data on the laptop hard drive. If you're working on something, of course you should have what you are working on on the hard drive, or a USB stick maybe. But you shouldn't keep it there. If the drive is getting full, that means you are storing things there as opposed to just having them there while you work on them. Think of a laptop hard drive like a desk. You only have what you are working on right now on the desk. Everything else goes in a filing cabinet. Having a full laptop hard drive is like having every file from the filing cabinet on the desk. This is why there is no need for large laptop hard drives.
  • luke, I think you're confused here. I'm not talking about having data on the laptop hard drive, I'm talking about storing data on the laptop hard drive. If you're working on something, of course you should have what you are working on on the hard drive, or a USB stick maybe. But you shouldn't keep it there. If the drive is getting full, that means you are storing things there as opposed to just having them there while you work on them. Think of a laptop hard drive like a desk. You only have what you are working on right now on the desk. Everything else goes in a filing cabinet. Having a full laptop hard drive is like having every file from the filing cabinet on the desk. This is why there is no need for large laptop hard drives.
    My music files take about 20GB, the movie files I'm working on now run to about 20GB, and I rarely work with less when videos are concerned. The photos I've taken in the past month and still need to sort runs to 8GB. My website stuff which I work on all the time comes to 3GB, my work files that I need all the time comes to almost 3GB. Not sure how much space OSX and the programs I use daily need but I'm sure that is quite a bit. There is 80GB of useful stuff that I use. The easiest place to store the files that I use the most is on the hard drive.

Your 16GB hard drive is good for you, I need 100GB minimum, or else I have to faff about with external hard drives for almost every task.