This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Andrew has become a cheesemaker!

edited December 2008 in Everything Else

Comments

• Congratulations, now you just need to make some cheesy jokes in order to become a full-fledged cheese maker!
  • Cheesemaking is useless. I think I'll draft you into the fortress guard.
  • Cheesemaking is useless. I think I'll draft you into the fortress guard.
    Fuck. I just sat here for five minutes trying to come up with a DF joke.
  • Fuck. I just sat here for five minutes trying to come up with a DF joke.
    You snooze, you lose.
  • All this cheese talk made me eat a cheese sandwich. Mmmm, cheese.
  • Cheese for the win!
  • That shit better be made from pasteurized milk, or else you're going to fucking DIE.
  • Wensley Dale, Grommet?
  • Behold, the power of (Andrew's) Cheese.
  • That shit better be made from pasteurized milk, or else you're going to fucking DIE.
  • You have a Wegman's?! I hate you.

Also, who would have realized that you use cheesecloth to make cheese...
  • Could I be so bold as to say that I really dislike cheese?
  • edited December 2008
    You have a Wegman's?! I hate you.
    Seriously, Wegman's is amazing. It's the Ikea of grocery stores.
    Also, who would have realized that you use cheesecloth to make cheese...
    You use the cheese cloth to separate the curds from the whey. Like this:
    The last few of my cheese curds

I'm going to post all the instructions in a blog post as well.
    Post edited by Andrew on
    "The cheese fumes were too strong. Andrew had no choice but to barf into his new cheesecloth."
    Very Good! Just Like Mama!
  • Very Good! Just Like Mama!
    Hehe. If I recall, there are not cheese making recipes in either Cooking Mama 1 or 2. :P

Gah. It's only 5:30 AM, and for some reason my stomach is growling for food. -_-
  • Hehe. If I recall, there are not cheese making recipes in either Cooking Mama 1 or 2. :P
    You recall correctly, but how likely is it that someone makes a "Holy shit, I mades me some bacons" thread?
    Gah. It's only 5:30 AM, and for some reason my stomach is growling for food. -_-
    I'm a hobo-rexic. I don't eat very much, but only because I can't really afford food.
  • Nice job Andrew. How long do you have to let it settle?
  • Sweet! What kind of cheese is it, if I may ask?
    Looks like cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, etc.
    Looks like cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, etc.
    Those are all different kinds of cheese...
  • Does it have a flavor?
    Looks like regular fresh cheese.
  • edited December 2008
    Sweet! What kind of cheese is it, if I may ask?
    Seems closest to queso fresco/queso blanco and other similar sorts of white soft-ripened fresh cheeses.

Also, sour cream isn't really a cheese.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Seems closest to queso fresco/queso blanco and other similar sorts of white soft-ripened fresh cheeses.

It's a Fromage Blanc or just a simple white cheese. It took me about an hour and a half to make. But I left it in the refrigerator overnight to let the flavors develop.
  • Seems closest to queso fresco/queso blanco and other similar sorts of white soft-ripened fresh cheeses.

It's a Fromage Blanc or just a simple white cheese. It took me about an hour and a half to make. But I left it in the refrigerator overnight to let the flavors develop.
    We should combine our powers. You make cheese, I make bread, we both learn to make beer. We'll start our own Belgian abbey.
  • We should combine our powers. You make cheese, I make bread, we both learn to make beer. We'll start our own Belgian abbey.
    I forsee a great future:
  • edited December 2008
    Fresh cheese, queso blanco, fromage blanc and white cheese are ALL the same, in fact the last three translate to the exact same thing (but you probably knew that already and I may have missed some sarcasm there.)

I know how to make beer and have made some! But alas, distance won't allow it.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Fresh cheese, queso blanco, fromage blanc and white cheese are ALL the same, in fact the last three translate to the exact same thing (but you probably knew that already and I may have missed some sarcasm there.)

I know how to make beer and have made some! But alas, distance won't allow it.
    There can be subtle differences, depending on the bacteria (usually various species of Lactococcus and Lactobacillus) used to culture the cheese. There can also be very slight texture differences, but yes, most of the time, it's all just the same thing.