This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Decisions, Decisions

edited December 2008 in Everything Else
Hey everyone. So, it seems the Geekhaus plans aren't going forward as fast as I'd like. Some people have expressed interest, but we don't have the concerted effort needed, so I'll put that project on the backburner for now. However, this means I need to figure out what I'm going to do for the next few years. Here are my choices:

Move to Tokyo: I was thinking of moving to Tokyo, and going to Temple University. It's an American university, so I would still be able to get financial aid, and ease into Japanese instruction. Tokyo looks to be an amazing city, and I could definitely get a job there. On the other hand,

Move to New York City: The City, as it is simply called, is amazing. If I went there, and studied IT at NYIT (possibly to transfer back to RIT, depending), it would be an awesome experience. Temple doesn't exactly have a technical program, and The City is still foreign enough that I won't run into people I know (unless they're awesome FRC-ers, apparently). I'll also be in a prime location to visit east coast cons. And...I mean, it's the city. I hear a hundred languages walking down the street. There are always things to do, and transportation to get there.

So, what do you guys think? The main pros of Tokyo are culture and language. The main pros of New York are location, job availability, and an IT program in the uni I'd go to. Money-wise, they seem about the same.

A NOTE ABOUT RIT: In a perfect world, I'd be able to simply go to RIT next year. Unfortunately, I can't afford it. There is no way I can get a part time job that will support me in Rochester. I have skills, and I suppose I'm worth somewhere between $15 and $40 per hour, but Rochester just doesn't have a good job market. In either NYC or Tokyo I'd most likely be able to get a better job than here.

Comments

• New York City. It would be a simpler process and, to be honest, a lot more realistic.
  • Yeah, I'm leaning towards NYC, simply because of the vast number of job opportunities compared to Tokyo.

I must have sent 50 resumes out today. Phew.
  • Option 3: Move to Boston.
  • Keep in mind you've also picked two very expensive cities to live in/near. While you may be able to earn $30k a year at a job in a less major area, the same $30k a year does not go as far in NYC/Tokyo as it would elsewhere. Just keep that in mind as you budget.
  • Well, look at what is going on here. You're basically considering trading the high expense of RIT for the high expense of NY City, but the difference maker is that you will be more likely to find a job that pays for that same expense.

You might want to see if you can't find some sort of job you can do online. Then you can stay in Rochester, where your overall costs will actually probably be lower even with RIT tuition.

Another good option would be to find a place with low tuition and low cost of living, but also get a job online, or a lower paying job. The cost/earnings ratio might work out better.
  • edited December 2008
    Ok, back in Rochester after holiday in California.

I am trading the high expense of RIT for the high expense of NYC, but I think a smart thing to do might be to attend NYIT, then transfer to RIT down the line. Any thoughts about that? I'd be able to make the money and connections I'd need for some kind of part-time / telecommuting job in Rochester. Craigslist is not a good source of telecommuting jobs, as most of them are just scammies. If I move down to the City, I think I can make some connections that'll pay off down the line.

As for living somewhere non-RIT and non-City, I don't think I can or want to. I need to be close to or in a city to make the kind of money I want to maintain my geeky lifestyle (as a part time job), and I really don't do well in the boonies. I just visited San Francisco, and it made me realize how...uncivilized(?) Rochester can be. Compared to the city, I mean.

I'm heading down to NYC for New Year's, so I'll probably look at places around then. Also, would any forumgoers want to hang out sometime around then? I'll be down there 'till January 4th.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I am trading the high expense of RIT for the high expense of NYC, but I think a smart thing to do might be to attend NYIT, then transfer to RIT down the line. Any thoughts about that?
    A really good idea is to go to cheap ass community college, then transfer to RIT. As long as the community college is quality, you can learn just as much, but get an RIT degree at a much lower price.
  • What state are you native too and what state schools are there for you?
  • edited December 2008
    A really good idea is to go to cheap ass community college, then transfer to RIT. As long as the community college is quality, you can learn just as much, but get an RIT degree at a much lower price.
    I second this. I don't know how many good community colleges are up there, but we've got one of the best ones in the nation where I live. It's worked perfectly for everyone I know. Just make sure the credits will transfer before choosing a class.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Ok. Back from The City.

Right now, I'm waiting on the results of a (job) interview I had a few days ago. If they make me an offer, I'll be moving down to NYC next month or so. In the fall, I'll go to NYIT, and most likely transfer to RIT in a few years.

Compared to Rochester, The City is...

Civilization.

Also, anyone there might want to check out this Ethiopian place. it's quite good.