This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Classic Anime Recommendations

edited December 2008 in Everything Else
In light of the recent revival of the "older media trumps newer media" discussions, I thought that this thread was appropriate. Who knows, maybe other people are looking for the same stuff I am.

So, here's the deal. I recently decided that I should sink some time into getting acquainted with some classic anime, and my first pick was Macross and Robotech, since I've been wanting to see them for a long time, and I recently got Netflix, which makes that possible. Watching both Robotech and its source material (Macross, Southern Cross, Genesis Climber MOSPEADA) would be an EXTRAVAGANT waste of time, so I feel like I should decide between one or the other. The first volume of Macross and Robotech arrived in the mail today, so I'm trying to decide fast so that I can clear out my queue. Can anyone who's seen any of Robotech and one of the other series make a recommendation?

Also, this is about all "classic" (define it as you will) anime in general, so please keep recommending beyond my initial question. Good, bad, odd, I'll watch it all.

Comments

• Cowboy Bebop. I totally beat you to it, Scott.
  • Cowboy Bebop.
    Seen it in its entirety already. Same thing with Evangelion. Trigun's on the backburner while I watch the winner of this contest.

Let's say anything pre-90s for starters, unless it is a massive exception that needs immediate mention. I'm pretty much aware of most of the good stuff from the 90s, Satoshi Kon films, etc. Also, yes, I've seen Akira.
  • If you have both, watch both and pick which one you like more to finish out. Or you could always use the Rym method of deciding via coin flip.

Other animes: Escaflowne, Scrapped Princess, ummmmm, I'll have more later.
  • edited December 2008
    Anything Miyazaki
    Hokuto no Ken
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Hokuto no Ken
    Have the first nine episodes. It's like the Riki-Oh of anime.
  • Gatchaman
    Gigantor
    Golgo 13
  • All Leiji Matsumoto anime. That includes Galaxy Express 999, Captain Harlock, Yamato, and all related works. Don't worry about the order you watch it in, or how the different things relate to each other. Just watch as much as you can.
  • Just watch as much as you can.
    Including Daft Punk's "Interstella 5555?"
  • Just watch as much as you can.
    Including Daft Punk's "Interstella 5555?"
    Especially so.
  • Well, this is upsetting. There is no existing DVD set of Galaxy Express 999 (which, upon my further inspection, I reallllllly want to see), and my ISP has recently emailed me a notice about their suspicion of P2P software use here, threatening to cancel my service if it happens again.

Which leaves me with a tough choice: scour the internets for direct downloads of subs, or chance service cancellation and find torrents of it. The first might not produce anything...the latter would be really, REALLY bad.
  • That's tough. I know for a fact there is a fansub group doing Galaxy Express 999 because of lack of domestic release.
  • That's tough. I know for a fact there is a fansub group doing Galaxy Express 999 because of lack of domestic release.
    I just saw it. I'm really, really pissed, especially because I didn't know that WOW sniffed traffic, and also because now I can't download Linux distros.
    I just saw it. I'm really, really pissed, especially because I didn't know that WOW sniffed traffic, and also because now I can't download Linux distros.
    First, get a new ISP. Secondly, you probably want the Galaxy Express 999 movie, the first one that is. It's actually the best.
  • edited December 2008
    I'll have a new one next year, for college. UIUC's TOS doesn't prohibit P2P. I also probably SHOULD get a new ISP, but my parents probably don't want to deal, and the only other ISPs we have here are Comcast and AT&T, both of which are shit choices.

I'll keep looking for a solution. Maybe I'll call WOW and try to work something out.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Hokuto no Ken
    Have the first nine episodes. It's like the Riki-Oh of anime.
    You got it backwards.
  • edited December 2008
    Bad news: There is jack shit I can do about this ISP situation.

Good news: Netflix has all of Captain Harlock, Yamato, and Interstella 5555.

Final edit: Screw it; I'll chance it. A small-time ISP won't be sniffing for material that isn't licensed in the US, and above all, this is about art.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited December 2008
    We might have download limits in Australia, but our ISPs (or most of them) don't screw with p2p at least...
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Bad news: There is jack shit I can do about this ISP situation.

Final edit: Screw it; I'll chance it. A small-time ISP won't be sniffing for material that isn't licensed in the US, and above all, this is about art.
    Or go to crunchy roll and stream shit instead. Say what you will about Comcast, but I've never been threatened with service cancellation.
  • Legend of Galactic Heroes
  • Or go to crunchy roll and stream shit instead.
    Sorry, this video is not available in your region... :(
  • Or go to crunchy roll and stream shit instead.
    Sorry, this video is not available in your region... :(
    Fail sir. :(
  • El-Hazard: The Magnificent World. Nice show and useful as a break from more depressing or intensive anime series. Also, one of the only two animes that made me get misty eyed. The other being Trigun, which I hope you’ve already seen.
  • Must... refrain... from... making... my obvious recommendation... *cough*UTENA!*cough*

Ahem. ^^;;

Anyway, a lot of the good ones have been mentioned so far. For lighter fare, I would say to try Prefectural Earth Defense Force if you want a classic comedy, and Nurse Angel Ririka S.O.S. if you want a classic magical girl series. PEDF is a little harder to get, but very worth it. Ririka, unfortunately, is only in fansubs, but it's better than nothing; that show is pretty good quality for a little girls' series. :)
  • jccjcc
    edited December 2008
    Random Pre-90s Suggestions:

Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro (1979) and Fuma Conspiracy (1987)
    The Wings of Honneamise (1987)
    Angel's Egg (1985)
    Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
    Little Norse Prince (1968)
    Gunbuster (1988)
    The Rose of Versailles (1979)
    Kimagure Orange Road (1987)
    Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (1988)
    Touch (1985)
    Iga no Kabamaru (1983)
    Post edited by jcc on
  • Saint Seiya is awesome :D
  • Angel's Egg (1985)
    Be prepared for some serious mindfuckery if you watch this one. I love surreal anime like this one, but not everyone does, so I think that's a fair warning to give.
  • Bad news: There is jack shit I can do about this ISP situation.

What are you using that your ISP is giving you crap? Use torrents, force encryption, and then use the Pirate Bay. End of story, since you can then just deny you did whatever the say.
  • What are you using that your ISP is giving you crap? Use torrents, force encryption, and then use the Pirate Bay. End of story, since you can then just deny you did whatever the say.
    I use uTorrent. Problem seems to be that I had not forced encryption; think Animesuki works for plausible deniability?
  • Here's the thing, it's very very easy to spot torrent traffic, even with encryption. Torrents aren't illegal (at least not in America, I have no idea where you are) so they have to prove you're transferring illegal content. Were you actually downloading linux distros like you say, or fansubs? Or worse actually pirating the real shit? Anyway, my advice is throttle your torrents speeds down to almost nothing, like 30KB/s down and 15KB/s up. When you aren't making sudden, huge dents in their bandwidth graphs, they'll probably be less inclined to care. 30/15 doesn't sound like a lot, but if you left it running constantly it be a total of 116 GB transferred in a month.
  • so they have to prove you're transferring illegal content.
    No they don't. Without net neutrality legislation, they can use their TOS to allow or deny anything they want for just about any reason. They don't care one whit if you're downloading Linux or Linux pronography: they simply care that you're using more bandwidth than an old lady.

It's bandwidth, not content, that the ISPs care about.