This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081217 - The Sky Crawlers

edited December 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review Mamoru Oshii's latest full-length animated motion picture, The Sky Crawlers. In the news, the Thor movie actually looks good, and Azuma talks about Yotsuba&! anime.

Scott's Thing - Metal Wolf Chaos
Rym's Thing - Drunken Spartan

Comments

• Drunken Spartan
    That is both hilarious and terrifying.
  • On the leg cramps: I get the kind Scott got all the time. It will get better just with time; the muscle's just sore, not hurt, I don't think.
  • edited December 2008
    The Sky Crawlers game is around on the torrents if you've modded your Wii.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • On the leg cramps: I get the kind Scott got all the time. It will get better just with time; the muscle's just sore, not hurt, I don't think.
    If it still bothers you after a day or so, just keep putting some deep heat/firey jack/bengay on it if you aren't already. It'll sort it out in fairly short order.
  • edited December 2008
    Regarding the comment that 100% of the listeners would be spoiled, the movie did show for a week prior to the New York premier in Los Angeles at the Los Feliz 3. (Unfortunately it was on one of the smallest screens in one of the smallest theaters you can find in the city, where you can also hear the bass of the neighboring screen during some of the quiet portions of the film.)

The introduction from Oshii that the New Yorkers received sounded really neat. We didn't get any such introduction, and most of the old Caltech anime society members I dragged to the movie had absolutely no clue beforehand what the film would be about. The theater attendance wasn't high (maybe 15 people, about 20% capacity), and a good third left before the scene following the credits. But then I guess the late evening Wednesday showing wouldn't normally be the busiest. Regardless, everyone did agree that it was a beautiful film.
    Post edited by smamole on
  • You forgot to add the Incredible Hulk to the Avengers line-up. The Ed Norton version already tied in with an appearance by Sam "Motherfucking" Jackson as Nick Fury.
  • You forgot to add the Incredible Hulk to the Avengers line-up. The Ed Norton version already tied in with an appearance by Sam "Motherfucking" Jackson as Nick Fury.
    The Hulk was an Avenger for like, two issues.
  • The Hulk was an Avenger for like, two issues.
    Bruce Banner was in the one omnibus of the Ultimates I read most of the time.
  • Bruce Banner was in the one omnibus of the Ultimates I read most of the time.
    Ultimates != Avengers.
  • edited December 2008
    The Hulk was an Avenger for like, two issues.
    Bruce Banner was in the one omnibus of the Ultimates I read most of the time.
    Ummm.. Yea, where the Ultimates are hunting the Hulk down.... The Hulk in the Ultimate unverise eats people.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited December 2008
    Ultimates != Avengers.
    The Ultimates (according to Wikipedia) is a "modern reimagining of the superhero team the Avengers."
    Ummm.. Yea, where the Ultimates are hunting the Hulk down.... The Hulk in the Ultimate unverise eats people.
    He was part of the team until he injected himself with the super-human serum and went on a ramage.

EDIT: Guys, seriously, Iron Man is a good movie. Please put it in the Netflix queue, trust me on this one.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Iron Man is nothing special. It doesn't stink. I smiled about twice during the whole thing and was bored by the end. It isn't worth watching. Trust me on this.

If you want a film that is actually good, watch In Bruges. Trust me on this one.
  • If you want a film that is actually good, watchIn Bruges. Trust me on this one.
    What I saw of it was pretty good, but I unfortunately watched it late at night so I fell asleep through part of it.
  • Iron Man is nothing special. It doesn't stink. I smiled about twice during the whole thing and was bored by the end. It isn't worth watching. Trust me on this.

If you want a film that is actually good, watchIn Bruges. Trust me on this one.
    They've got an average of saying the word fuck 1.18 times a minute in that movie. It was a very funny show though.
  • Speaking of reviews/final thoughts, you guys still need to do a final thoughts on Gundam SEED.
  • I showed Metal Wolf Chaos to my co-worker and the next day he got a copy of it. He brought it in with his xbox and all I have to say is that , this game actually looks great and the campiness factor is so high that it's just beyond awesome. I can't believe how much breakables are in this game. The physics are really great too. The only thing that bothers me is that I seem to have so many weapons at the beginning of the game. I hope to be able to find new stronger weapons, but I'll have to play a bit more to see (I enjoy games that start me off with barely anything). I only just escaped Washington DC on air force one. Also the whole UI being in Japanese is kind of making things difficult for me. Good thing my boss is Japanese! " Hey, boss can we postpone the meeting for a bit.. I sort of need you to translate this kanji...thanks.." ^__^;
  • I watched The Sky Crawlers tonight, and I'm steel reeling a bit. That was one of the most emotionally draining movies I ever experienced. It really got to me like few things have; for the last fifteen minutes and for a long time after I couldn't shake the lump in my throat. Everything about the movie just makes me want to curl up in a dark corner and die but, at the same time, keeps me from doing so.

...Oh yeah, and the dogfights were really cool. Pretty airplanes go boom!
  • RymRym
    edited August 2009
    That was one of the most emotionally draining movies I ever experienced.
    This is why I love Mamoru Oshii: he brilliantly mixes the form of his work with the message. The meta of this movie - its length, its pacing, its soundtrack, its repetition - serve to viscerally and literally make you experience the hazy desperation and dreamlike detachment that were so central to the theme.

Basically, the movie was long and slow, punctuated with intense action scenes, such that the audience would be left in a particular state of mind such to appreciate it. A shorter version of Sky Crawlers would have lost that level of message.

Of all things, Punch Drunk Love with Adam Sandler happens to use this same technique. Pay attention to the infuriating, pulsing, soundtrack that never gives you a break for the first several minutes of the movie. The protagonist was frustrated and harried, never at peace and constantly assailed by the world around him. The meta of the movie puts the audience into a similar state, and quite literally gave me a headache.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • ...Oh yeah, and the dogfights were really cool. Pretty airplanes goboom!
    And a few seconds later, you see a parachute.
  • And a few seconds later, you see a parachute.
    That reminds me of my girlfriend's hilarious G.I. Joe refrigerator magnets.
  • Of all things,Punch Drunk Lovewith Adam Sandler happens to use this same technique.
    I love that movie so much. It's another one that really hit home for me with it's theme, and you're absolutely right about it's similarity to The Sky Crawlers. Everything about Punch Drunk Love is pitched just right to convey the mindset of it's protagonist, even changing it's cinematic style as the movie progresses and Barry becomes more and more at peace.