This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

RIAA changes tactics - ISPs now become enforcers

Comments

• I haven't torrent downloaded anything from the RIAA in at least a year, probably longer. Amazon MP3's FTW.
  • Bittersweet news.
    Who downloads 5,000 - 6,000 songs a month? At an average song length of 5 minutes, that is over 20 days worth of music.
  • Pirates who are really committed to sticking it to "the man." :P
  • How long before we see people who speak out against the RIAA blacklisted? Could you use this to censor the Internet in terms of contributors?
  • THIS would explain the Wide Open West P2P notice I received the other day...
  • Bittersweet news.
    Who downloads 5,000 - 6,000 songs a month? At an average song length of 5 minutes, that is over 20 days worth of music.
    I can't even find that many good songs that I want to download, period. Much less every day!
  • If you kept Last.FM on all the time it might be possible. Maybe they were just equating the bandwidth into terms people could understand. Although I strongly suspect it's all LIAAs [pun kinda worked]!
  • edited December 2008
    Still trying to convert my friend too to Bitorrent. This is will hopefully be a nail in the coffin.
    edit: I'd rather that have my shitty ISP would spend less time with this and more time on making a better service. I'm looking at you Time Warner Cable.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Six strikes. Still sounds unenforceable. Why are the ISPs on the MPAA/RIAA's side anyway? Politicians I understand, the media groups have lobbyists. Why did the ISPs all take their side?

Hypothesis: ISPs don't like how much bandwidth filesharing uses, so they try to stop it.
  • Six strikes. Still sounds unenforceable. Why are the ISPs on the MPAA/RIAA's side anyway? Politicians I understand, the media groups have lobbyists. Why did the ISPs all take their side?

Hypothesis: ISPs don't like how much bandwidth filesharing uses, so they try to stop it.
    Captain Obvious to the rescue!

Time Warner - Also a media company.
    Comcast - Now also a media company.
    Cablevision - Also a media company.

AT&T; and Verizon are the only ones that are not media companies, but they do both also offer cable and television service they would love for you to pay for.

The ISPs and the movie industry are the same industry. If I were in charge I would bust it up.
  • Is an anti-trust applicable here?
  • Is an anti-trust applicable here?
    Ask a lawyer. Even if it is, I believe it requires someone else to sue them, either their competitors or the Department of Justice. Since all the competitors are the same, it's not a Monopoly. It's a bunch of localized monopolies. Maybe individual towns can claim anti-trust when they only have one or two ISPs?