This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dell Mini 9

edited December 2008 in Technology
I'm thinking about buying myself a new laptop soon.

Since I find myself not really playing games anymore and using my computer for "work" only I've been looking at cheap "low end" laptops. Another thing I considered was portability. Since I often do presentations for classes.
Thus the Dell Mini 9 as a cheap and relatively fast net-book caught my eye. When working at home I'd just hook the Dell up to my 20" wide-screen and use an external keyboard and mouse, since I imagine working for a longer period of time on such a small laptop can be quite painful. Otherwise the long battery life and small weight make it viable to actually take it with me on the train or during classes.

I was just curious to ask if any of you here got themselves a Dell Mini 9 and if yes, what your thoughts are.

Comments

• The netbooks are getting really popular these days. People realize that they don't really need a lot of horsepower to do the vast majority of the things they do with a computer. Even a piece of shit computer can do e-mail and web browsing. It can even watch some YouTube. There's also the benefit if lots of portability, longer battery life, and low price.

If you are looking at a netbook, I suggest you shop around. Look at all the netbooks from all the brands. Samsung, HP, Dell, MSI, Acer, Asus, just about everybody's got a few models available these days. The MSI Wind is actually getting popular these days because with relatively little work, you can put a hacked Mac OSX on there.

It's relatively hard to shop for a Netbook though. When you're buying a real computer, you're actually going to get something good. All netbooks are no good, that's the point of them. It's easy to pick out the shiniest gold, but hard to pick the least smelly crap.

I can say this about the Dell, though. I've seen it in pictures, and it at least looks more durable than some of the other netbooks I've seen. I'd have to see it in person to know for sure.
  • I've done quite a lot of research and ended up favoring the Dell. It's the lightest and seems the sturdiest, as Scott already said. I'm planing on trying to Install OSX on the Dell as well, because it really does seem incredibly easy:

• Wow, it's kind of fat. I would expect thinnnes to come along with the cheapness and slowness.
  • Hey Scott, why are you so bitter?
  • Hey Scott, why are you so bitter?
    That's like asking Rym why he's so ponytail.
  • We just got the little Dell 9" netbook in at work the other day. I was playing with it and it seems pretty reasonable. The only thing for me is that it doesn't have any function keys on the keyboard. Considering you are probably going to want to use keyboard shortcuts fairly often that is a deal breaker for me. The best one in my opinion is the Asus eeePC 1000H. The keyboard is great, touchpad reasonable for a small laptop, and battery life is pretty good.
  • edited December 2008
    I just don't understand the appeal of netbooks at this time. For practically the same money you can get something like this, or this, or this.

The only thing a netbook seems to do better is weigh less. I've never understood why people are so hung up on laptop weight. Sure, you don't want a heavy behemoth, but are people so weak that an extra couple of pounds is insufferable to carry around? And I'd much rather carry around a couple extra pounds than stare at an insanely small screen. You'll be staring at the screen much more often than you will be carrying it.

I suppose a netbook makes sense if you truly need something that's small and light. I would definitely recommend one to an astronaut. Other than that, I don't get it.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I need a small and light computer to carry around with me. The ones you linked to are 15.4" big, which is far to large for me to carry around. Same goes for their weight. 3 kg is A LOT, considiring I'm also carrying books. And why would I need 2 Ghz Dual Core for working when I'm on the go?

The only valid point you make I can see is the screen size. As I wrote before, at home I'd hook the netbook up to an external screen and when I'm out the small screen size is sufficient for what I plan on doing.
  • I just don't understand the appeal of netbooks at this time. For practically the same money you can get something likethis, orthis, orthis.

The only thing a netbook seems to do better is weigh less. Frankly, I've never understood why people are so hung up on laptop weight. Sure, you don't want a heavy behemoth, but are people so weak that an extra couple of pounds is insufferable to carry around? And I'd much rather carry around a couple extra pounds than stare at an insanely small screen. You'll be staring at the screen much more often than you will be carrying it.

I suppose a netbook makes sense if you truly need something that's small and light. I would definitely recommend one to an astronaut. Other than that, I don't get it.
    But then you wouldn't look as stylish... unless of course you get one of those with the little apple on the top.
  • I suppose a netbook makes sense if you truly need something that's small and light. I would definitely recommend one to an astronaut. Other than that, I don't get it.
    Try walking three miles and fighting morning commuter traffic with 6 pounds of laptop on your shoulder.
  • edited December 2008
    Try walking three miles and fighting morning commuter traffic with 6 pounds of laptop on your shoulder.
    I suppose if it does everything you need it to, then maybe it's worth it. I'd still rather get the more powerful machine. I just don't see 3 or 4 pounds being that big a deal. If it can fit in a backpack, the difference is negligible. The $399 Acer is only about 3.5 pounds heavier, FWIW.
  • I suppose if it does everything you need it to, then maybe it's worth it. I'd still rather get the more powerful machine. I just don't see 3 or 4 pounds being that big a deal. If it can fit in a backpack, the difference is negligible. The $399 Acer is only about 3.5 pounds heavier, FWIW.
    3.5 lbs. is a lot of weight. 5 inches diagonally is a lot of inches. If you're not a city or college person who is walking around a lot, you won't notice, and it won't bother you.

Come live in the city. Put those pounds on your lap on two train rides. Then carry it down streets, on subways, in starbuckses. I hope your battery doesn't run out before the end of the day!

Extra power is nice, but if you don't need it, you don't need it! It's silly to get an extra powerful computer just like it's silly to get a Ferrari to drive kids to school. We have reached a point where the applications that most people use 99% of the time, e-mail, im, web browser, have very low system requirements. Thus, 99% of people will have a better user experience if they sacrifice horsepower in favor of other features like portability and battery life.

Personally, because I have money, I go the ultra-portable route. I get horsepower, battery life, and portability, at the expense of lots of money. If I couldn't afford it, a netbook I would go.
  • What Scott said.

Since I live in a city and don't drive a car weight is my biggest issue.
  • edited December 2008
    What he said.

Linux improves things, and not all screens are 7". Nonetheless, the keyboard issues would make me insane.

I love the concept, but I'm waiting for cheap and light laptops with a 13" screen. That's a good compromise for me. And I suspect that they're coming soon enough. I do, however, see how a netbook would be enticing as a second computer.

The Ferrari comparison is just silly. Nobody can use a Ferrari in the manner intended without breaking the law. Laptops can be used to their fullest extent. Even if you don't need it now, there will be a day when you will wish you had the extra horsepower.
  • RymRym
    edited December 2008
    Nobody can use a Ferrari in the manner intended without breaking the law.
    What with the current climate technology-law-wise, the same could be said for a laptop. ^_~
    Even if you don't need it now, there will be a day when you will wish you had the extra horsepower.
    It depends. Horsepower comes at a price, either in money, weight, size, or battery life. For most people, the optimal solution is a netbook of some kind for the "always-with-you" computer, plus either a full laptop or a desktop for tasks where horsepower matters.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited December 2008
    I'm slowly coming around to the idea of a netbook as a second computer. (Or in Thaed's case a 23rd computer.) ;-)

I like this netbook. The keyboard is 92% the size of a standard keyboard. It's $414 with a 60gb hard drive. It's about $50 less with 8gb flash memory. They are offering a free upgrade to 1gb of RAM right now. It also comes with an optional 10.2" screen. I'm not sure how much difference that makes compared to the 8.9" screen. I'd want to see it in person before deciding if it's worth an extra $50.

Buying a computer sucks. I hate to compromise with a large purchase like this - but that's what you inevitably wind up doing. There is always something on the horizon that you want. Right now, if I were to buy a netbook, I'd want to wait for an LED screen. But when those are cheap, there will be something else coming along that I'll want.
  • The key thing to remember about all these netbooks is that the screens are really bad. Sure, you may get 10.2", but the resolution is probably 1024x600. Also, don't expect it to have good refresh rates, colors, contrast ratio, etc. That is the one biggest advantage of the ultraportable vs. the netbook. I have a 10.6" screen that is 1280x768. The resolution is really what determines how much screen real-estate you have, not the inches.
  • Hmm... I just noticed that the HP Mini 1000 has an LED screen. Pretty tempting now. Anyone know where you can see these live and in the flesh?

Damn you Geek Nights for making me consider one of these infernal machines!
  • Hmm... I just noticed that the HP Mini 1000 has an LED screen. Pretty tempting now. Anyone know where you can see these live and in the flesh?

Damn you Geek Nights for making me consider one of these infernal machines!
    I don't think you'll see too many netbooks in retail stores. At most a place like Best Buy or Wal-Mart will have one or two. The only places I know that have a lot of different models to look at are places like J+R in the city.
  • edited December 2008
    Which is better? A 60gb hard drive spinning at a slow 4200 rpm or the 16GB solid state drive with another 16gb sd card kept in the card reader for a total of 32gb of memory? Both price about the same.

I think I'll pass on the integrated WWAN for $199. Ouch!
  • An SSD wouldn't be vulnerable to jarring and shaking.
  • Which is better? A 60gb hard drive spinning at a slow 4200 rpm or the 16GB solid state drive with another 16gb sd card kept in the card reader for a total of 32gb of memory? Both price about the same.

I think I'll pass on the integrated WWAN for $199. Ouch!
    If you need more space, you need more space. If you don't need more space, then SSD uses less power and is much more durable.
  • edited December 2008
    I don't think you'll see too many netbooks in retail stores.
    Staples sells the HP Mini 1010NR. I wonder what that is - probably a special Staples designation. It's a worse deal than ordering from HP directly (less memory for a start), but it would be worth a trip to actually see one in action.

The more I think about these things, the more I'm intrigued. I have always hated "desktop replacement" notebooks. I like my desktop computer, thank you very much. The problem is that I can't justify owning both a laptop and a desktop. (Sorry, Thaed - I'm not into owning extra computers!) I have a 4 minute commute, and have access to a laptop when I travel for work.

A netbook would allow me to maintain a nice desktop computer, but also own a basic machine to access the internet on those rare occasions that I do want portability.
  • edited December 2008
    If you need more space, you need more space. If you don't need more space, then SSD uses less power and is much more durable.
    I suppose that the only thing I would need more space for would be multimedia files. When I go on a trip, I like to take a few movies or TV shows with me. These could fit on a cheap SD card with no problem, so maybe the SSD is they way to go.

A friend recommended the Samsung NC10 as the best netbook. The only advantage it has over the HP Mini 1000 is a much better battery, bigger hard drive (no SSD!) and slightly better ports. Doesn't seem worth the extra $75 or so. I'm a little unique in that I don't really need a lot of battery power. It's very rare that I'm not near an outlet.
  • edited December 2008
    @Kilarney: I think a recent Tekzilla had a good look at the HP-1000 which should give you a good idea, I suggest the HD version.

I'm considering the MSI Wind or HP-1000 at the moment but by the time I can afford them, something else will probably be here.
    Post edited by Omnutia on

• A friend recommended the Samsung NC10 as the best netbook. The only advantage it has over the HP Mini 1000 is a much better battery, bigger hard drive (no SSD!) andslightlybetter ports. Doesn't seem worth the extra $75 or so. I'm a little unique in that I don't really need a lot of battery power. It'sveryrare that I'm not near an outlet.
    The Samsung is a good one.
  • edited December 2008
    I just checked out the HP Mini at Staples. I only had a couple of minutes, unfortunately.

The short version is that I didn't like it. The vertical resolution was just too darned small. Combine this with a small touchpad, and surfing the web became annoying. If it had a built in scroll wheel I might have been interested.

I looked at used laptops on Ebay. The prices are absurd.

I think I'm going to buy something decent. I'll want to use it for a while, so I might as well invest in some good equipment.

Back to the drawing board...
  • The short version is that I didn't like it. The vertical resolution was just too darned small. Combine this with a small touchpad, and surfing the web became annoying. If it had a built in scroll wheel Imighthave been interested.
    That is one thing that is true about all netbooks. Sure, they're supposed to be crappy, but most of the parts are at least sufficient. 1GB ram is enough. Atom CPU is enough. The thing is they cut back on the screen. The screens are not enough. When you look at ultraportables, full powered laptops at netbook sizes, the screens are just as small, but they have insanely high resolutions. My laptop is 1280x768, but the screen is 10.6". If you have that pixel density with more inches, you're getting a pretty insane monitor. Of course, the price difference is also insane.
  • Well, maybe netbooks aren't for you and you aren't for netbooks.
    I am the netbook man, my netbooks are delicious.
  • edited December 2008
    Well, maybe netbooks aren't for you and you aren't for netbooks.
    I am the netbook man, my netbooks are delicious.
    Agreed. Different strokes for different folks. For me, portability is actually not that important. I don't have a commute. I travel regularly, but most of it is in the car.

For urban dwellers that are constantly on the move, I've warmed up to the idea of a netbook. I didn't realize how easy they are to carry around until I saw one in person. The difference isn't trivial.

Now I'm struggling to figure out what the difference is between a $500-$700 laptop and a $1000-$1500 laptop for someone who isn't into gaming and doesn't need the smallest of everything.

What I'd really like to do is to figure out a way to get rid of cable TV, and stream shows from my computer to my television. Since I don't watch much TV, this would make a lot of sense.

Set-top boxes are insanely expensive for what they are. (The Slingcatcher is something like $299.) And most of them have limited functionality. I think I may want to get a laptop that can be hooked into the TV directly without much trouble.

If anyone knows of a good solution for video, I'd love to know.