This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Shorthand?

edited December 2008 in Everything Else
Anyone know, or ever tried learning any kind of shorthand? I've been looking into it, and I'm thinking it'd be pretty useful, and probably fun to know. I carry around a "hipster PDA" which I use a lot to jot down ideas and things I want to remember to look up or check out, but I'd probably get a lot more use out of it if hand-writing wasn't so tedious and slow. I've been looking into a few different systems -- it looks pretty easy to find plenty of info online.

Any thoughts, or suggestions? Anyone else interested?

Comments

• Anyone know, or ever tried learning any kind of shorthand? I've been looking into it, and I'm thinking it'd be pretty useful, and probably fun to know. I carry around a"hipster PDA"which I use a lot to jot down ideas and things I want to remember to look up or check out, but I'd probably get a lot more use out of it if hand-writing wasn't so tedious and slow. I've been looking into a few different systems -- it looks pretty easy to find plenty of info online.

Any thoughts, or suggestions? Anyone else interested?
    I learned some shorthand working for an attorney in Buffalo. It is a nice skill, particularly if you are taking dictation to later transcribe. As for writing notes for yourself, it depends on how in depth those notes are. If you are only writing short notes, shorthand won't really cut down much time.
    You can also develop your own abbreviations and codes, since you are the only one that will be deciphering them.
  • Yeah, I'm mostly just writing down fairly short notes for myself at the time, and I can see that it wouldn't save much time on that. Though I plan to get more into actually writing more in the near future, and I don't like dragging a laptop around (especially not the beast of a laptop I currently have.) Handwriting is so frustratingly slow compared to typing, and it's discouraging. I figure I'll put a little more time into learning shorthand, and see if I feel like it's going to be worth it.

Also, it's just kinda fun.
  • Besides certain exceptions (especially addresses), I don't think I ever write more than two words in a note.

I will have to steal that hipster pda idea, though. I used to keep a spiral notepad in my butt pocket, but I would always ruin the rings. Ever since then, I've just been writing notes on my hand.