This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tribes 2 is alive and well

edited December 2008 in Video Games
Turns out there are still a lot of servers and a few people still playing Tribes 2. This method is much simpler than the last and only needs to be done once.
Note: Your page will look different as I had already applied another mod for alternate servers.

Guide:
1) Download this file (found on this page)
2) Drop it in your Tribes 2 base directory (e.g. C:\Dynamix\Tribes 2\GameData\base)
3) Run the LAN client
4) Go to the "Join" tab
5) ????
6) Profit

Comments

• Hot shit.
  • I can confirm it works. It's time to set up some FRC T2 action. STAT!
  • This is great news. YAY!
  • This means it should be easier to get lots of people for a game of Tribes, correct?
  • I thought that that was what you did normally.... So I guess I've been playing Tribes 2 all this time the right way then!
  • edited December 2008
    @Neito: As it's so hard to get people online all at once, we should focus on getting the numbers of players overall up. Some organized games would help though.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited December 2008
    This is incredible. How active are the servers? Right now the most is with 25 players, but is that at the peak or is the fewer than normal? We should all chose a good server to play on in order to ensure that we aren't spread out. I doubt we will all play frequently enough so as to meat meet each other in game, so we definitely have to join up at a certain time.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • The one with 25 is a bot training server. I'm playing on the one I highlighted in the screenshot. Seems to get between 10-20 players while I was playing but, now we have the server capacity and ease of use, we can focus on getting more people playing.
  • I doubt we will all play frequently enough
    You must be new to this.
  • Is there even a way to get Tribes 2 legally?
  • Is there even a way to get Tribes 2 legally?
    Yes. The publisher has released them to be downloaded freely.
  • It is unavailable at this time
  • edited December 2008
    Search around and you'll find it. Might be a good idea to upload it to a site like Megaupload again.
    After some searching, it seems the .exe has disappeared from the Internets. Will reupload it some time tomorrow.

Edit: Torrent. I'm going to put together a pack containing all the relevant files and instructions just in case someone comes across it somewhere down the line.
  • It's not working for me. I added the .vl2 and put it in, but only one offline server comes up in the join tab. I'm using version 25034, with no patches.
  • Search around and you'll find it. Might be a good idea to upload it to a site like Megaupload again.
    After some searching, it seems the .exe has disappeared from the Internets. Will reupload it some time tomorrow.

Edit:Torrent. I'm going to put together a pack containing all the relevant files and instructions just in case someone comes across it somewhere down the line.
    Does this include the game?
  • When they mentioned this on the most recent episode, I immediately stopped listening to go play. I was disappointed to find that it apparently found 31 servers, but...
    Derp.
  • I wonder why it doesn't work for everyone.
  • edited December 2008
    Problem solved, actually. I put it into compatibility mode for 98/ME (I'm running XP), and its giving me the full list as well as getting rid of some visual choppiness I was getting. Probably should've done that first, but hey, everything's good now, so no worries.

Now I just need to do something about those classic unhandled exceptions that keep popping up whenever a mission ends.
    Post edited by Airpi on
  • When I get back home on Monday I'll make the torrent with the script and another one that gets rid of the unhanded exception errors by automatically deleting all the .dso files.
  • When I get back home on Monday I'll make the torrent with the script and another one that gets rid of the unhanded exception errors by automatically deleting all the .dso files.
    Sweet! I await your arrival my good sir.
  • edited December 2008
    Can people try this torrent out and tell me if you have any problems. My ISP is a dick so I don't seed all the time, just give it a day or two for other people to start seeding.
  • Can people trythis torrentout and tell me if you have any problems. My ISP is a dick so I don't seed all the time, just give it a day or two for other people to start seeding.
    Just call on me brother, When you need a seeder, we all need, somebody, to torrent from...

(Translation - Sorted out my modem, and my ISP is a bit less dickish, I'll download and seed as much as I'm able.)
  • edited December 2008
    Torrent will cut out between 4pm and midnight GMT (as in, my uploading of it). If I don't then my 500kb/s down becomes 20kb/s down. It's also the time I'm usually playing games, so it is sort of convenient.

Also, more threads need to be turned into musicals.
  • I'm not seeing a scripts folder, and I'm afraid to just make one. What do I do?
  • Yes, I'll make a note to add that to the readme.
  • Just a Tribes 2 video I made a couple of weeks ago.

• I just had a great game. We set up a base behind their base so we could cap while we capped.
    I've finally got the hang of motion detectors (for use indoors or at openings to reveal cloaked baddies) and pulse sensors (used outside, anything they can see, your turrets can shoot at, big range).
  • edited January 2009
    I'm almost done downloading the game. I've never played before. While waiting for the game to download. On the Wikipedia page I noticed another fan site that offers a patch to play. I'm not sure if it will conflict with the Alternate Master Server patch of if they are the same thing or not.

Tribes Next
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I'll try it when I do a fresh install.
  • ok so who wants to help me get this installed on my Ubuntu machine?