This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PC acting up; help please?

edited December 2008 in Technology
My PC crapped out on me a couple weeks ago. I thought it was the GPU. So, since it was still under warranty, I sent to back and got a new one. Well, the machine was working fine for a bit and last night it decided to crap out again.

I turned the rig on and it goes through the BIOS load up just fine. When I got to the Windows loading screen, everything turned all pixel-ated. So I restart the machine in Safe-mode and update the GPU drivers just fine. Same thing happens. This leads me to believe this is hardware issue, possibly my PCI slot is effed up.

Thoughts?

Essentially just looking for confirmation that a new Mo-Bo is what I need.

My Rig:
6 Gigs RAM (Corsair 240 pin DDR2)
AMD Athlon 64 x2 CPU
GeForce 8800 GT GPU
Asus M2A-VM MoBo
420 W power supply

Thanks in advance.
-Jason

Comments

• How does the computer work if you use a Linux Live CD? If a Live CD works, then you have a software problem. If it does not work, then you have a hardware problem. Also, a Linux Live CD can do a memory test. You might have some bad RAM.
  • It seems like it'd be a software thing to me. He said that Safe Mode clears it up.
  • Seems like an awfully weak power supply for that rig.
  • It seems like it'd be a software thing to me. He said that Safe Mode clears it up.
    If safe mode clears it up, then it's definitely software. Reinstall your operating system.
    Seems like an awfully weak power supply for that rig.
    Seems just fine to me.
  • edited December 2008
    It worked in Safe Mode to update the graphics drivers. That didn't fix it. So I went into Safe mode a second time to update the BIOS thinking that would work, and then it did the same thing on me. Everything went pixelated.

WhaleShark. You think the Power Supply would cause that?

Apreche. I haven't tried that. I'll have to get a friend to burn me one.
    Post edited by jkoellner on
  • WhaleShark. You think the Power Supply would cause that?
    Just making an observation. According to nVidia, your video card has a minimum PSU requirement of 400 W. Couple that with a 64 bit dual-core processor, and I think it's conceivable that you're running somewhat under-powered, which (I'm pretty sure) can cause hardware damage.

But I'm also not a computer expert, so I'll certainly default to someone who's more knowledgeable in this area.
  • WhaleShark. You think the Power Supply would cause that?
    Just making an observation. According to nVidia, your video card has a minimum PSU requirement of 400 W. Couple that with a 64 bit dual-core processor, and I think it's conceivable that you're running somewhat under-powered, which (I'm pretty sure) can cause hardware damage.

But I'm also not a computer expert, so I'll certainly default to someone who's more knowledgeable in this area.
    Fair enough. I'm not an expert either... so any help resolving this is appreciated.
  • edited December 2008
    Just making an observation. According to nVidia, your video card has a minimum PSU requirement of 400 W. Couple that with a 64 bit dual-core processor, and I think it's conceivable that your running somewhat under-powered, which (I'm pretty sure) can cause hardware damage.

If your computer boots, you've got enough power. If the power supply is not enough, the computer won't even turn on.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • If the power supply is not enough, the computer won't even turn on.
    The GPU will draw less power when it's not being pushed. There is the small possibility that there is just enough power to boot, but not enough to engage the videocard. Of course, if that's the case, the machine will crash hard and in a hurry: it won't just mangle the display.
  • Could it be a corrupted driver that's somehow not getting fixed when he updates it? Cus doesn't XP load up a default generic driver for displays in Safe Mode?
  • The GPU will draw less power when it's not being pushed. There is the small possibility that there isjustenough power to boot, but not enough to engage the videocard. Of course, if that's the case, the machine will crash hard and in a hurry: it won't just mangle the display.
    Also, it would only cause a crash when you played a game or something.
  • Thanks everyone!

When I get home tonight, I will try reinstalling the OS and let you know the results.

-Jason
  • Thanks everyone!

When I get home tonight, I will try reinstalling the OS and let you know the results.

-Jason
    Just try a Linux Live CD first. Then run some 3d program like glxgears or something to see if the 3d is working and such.
  • Or just hold Crtl+Alt and drag the empty space on the desktop.
  • Figured out the issue, everyone. I was booting up from the Live CD last night and it artifacted on me again. So I reboot the machine and now the fans spin, but the LED's on the motherboard and the heatsink on the CPU do not turn on.

Thus I believe I fried my MoBo.

Off to Microcenter Friday to get a new MoBo. Any suggestions on what kind to get? I need an AM2 socket and 4 RAM slots.

Thanks again for all the help.
  • Will this work? Also, going to Microcenter? I assume that's an electronics store? Once you know, you Newegg.
  • Yeah, it's an electronics store around here in the Midwest (well at least here in the Twin Cities) that sells hardware at prices pretty comparable to Newegg.

http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/index.html

Looks like a good board. Just hope 8800 doesn't block the SATAs
  • edited December 2008

Looks like a good board. Just hope 8800 doesn't block the SATAs
    Oh yeah, didn't even notice it was MicroATX. How about this one. I'm really liking the all solid capacitor motherboards. When I look at how many old motherboards I have with busted caps, you realize that the all-solid thing is not a gimmick. It makes the motherboard a lot more reliable, and it will last a lot longer.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Speaking of solid capacitors vs electrolytic capacitors... perhaps that could be the topic for a Monday podcast?
  • Speaking of solid capacitors vs electrolytic capacitors... perhaps that could be the topic for a Monday podcast?
    Electrolytic ones are filled with a liquid electrolyte. Solid ones are filled with a solid organic polymer of some sort. The liquid ones eventually leak and such. The solid ones last almost forever.

There's your episode.
  • Haha... fair enough.
  • But there was no TOTD or any news! Or was this a special?
  • Electrolytes! They're what computers crave?
  • Electrolytes! They're what computers crave?
    Computers don't deal well with hangovers though.
  • Computers don't deal well with hangovers though.
    True. Which is why we'll still win when they try to control our brains and use us for their own devious means.
  • I ended up going with this board and I got a new power supply while I was at it.

Thanks for all the help and the suggestions, everyone.