This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hyperion reference in xkcd.

edited December 2008 in Everything Else
Rym and Scott decide to read a sci-fi book from the 80s and talk about it. Following Daniel Gilbert's advice, I often check out what Rym & Scott are doing and so I read Hyperion (good) and Fall of Hyperion (ass). Today, on Christmas Eve, xkcd makes a Hyperion reference. That is an incredibly wild coincidence. The geek-o-sphere is a seamless web.

Comments

• That is an incredibly wild coincidence.
    A coincidence, perhaps, but I definitely don't see anything "wild" about it.
  • That is an incredibly wild coincidence.
    A coincidence, perhaps, but I definitely don't see anything "wild" about it.
    Maybe I need to get out more.
  • Prime numbers exist outside of Hyperion... <.<
  • Prime numbers exist outside of Hyperion... <.<</p>
    The tree, Neito, the tree.
  • Yggdrasil existed outside of Hyperion, too... <.<
    edited December 2008
    Yggdrasil existed outside of Hyperion, too... <.<</p>
    Isn't Yggdrasil from Norse mythology or so? Gotta wiki that, the top of my head is not sufficient.Yup, Yggdrasil is the world tree according to Norse mythology. Good stuff Norse mythology.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Isn't Yggdrasil from Norse mythology or so?
    imageAlso from Strider for the NES, although they spelled it "Yugdesiral".
  • It's mentioned once without any kind of context in House of Leaves.
  • Isn't Yggdrasil from Norse mythology or so?
    imageAlso from Strider for the NES, although they spelled it "Yugdesiral".
    Also from countless other RPG's, like the Tales Of series and FF.
  • Also from Strider for the NES, although they spelled it "Yugdesiral".
    No, it's not from that game, since that game just took Yggdrasil from Norse mythology. That's where the tree came from, anywhere else is just copypasted for settings with influences from Norse mythology.
  • I believe Yggdrasil was also the name of a very early Linux distribution, which promptly fell out of style.
  • No, it's not from that game, since that game just took Yggdrasil from Norse mythology.
    Yes.
  • I got Hyperion for Christmas yesterday. Finished it...yesterday. Bought Fall of Hyperion and Endymion today.
  • I got Hyperion for Christmas yesterday. Finished it...yesterday. Bought Fall of Hyperion and Endymion today.
    Remember Rise of Endymion. I'm going to start Ilium tonight. We'll see how it goes. The Terror was a great book.
  • Remember Rise of Endymion
    Yeah, I know. I just didn't feel like spending that much money yesterday.