This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Natural Selection 2

edited December 2008 in Video Games
So, I thought we would create an official topic for the game proper. For those of you who are not up to date, the dev team decided recently to switch from being a mod for the Source engine to developing their own engine. Anyways, here is a video (which I haven't seen posted here) that shows the first in-game footage of the new engine.
yH-SH1Iw6TY

Also, you can follow the frequently updated twitter feed here from the dev team which gives lots of insight on what they are working on.

Comments

• switch from being a mod for the Source engine to developing their own engine.
    Another reason for this game to never come out.
  • Another reason for this game to never come out.
    Did you even watch the video? The engine appears to be fairly well developed all things considered.
  • edited December 2008
    Did you even watch the video? The engine appears to be fairly well developed all things considered.
    That's not what I'm worried about. How many times did you see a video for Duke Nukem Forever or Team Fortress 2 that made the game appear to be fairly "done"? The fact that they no longer have any set parameters for their engine means they have the opportunity to upgrade their game into infinity along with advancing technology. If they don't have any set "goals" or limits of their engine then they may never be done. I'm not saying this will happen, but given their track record so far, it's not too far from reality.

The whole thing just seems like another opportunity to stay in development hell.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited December 2008
    That's not what I'm worried about. How many times did you see a video for Duke Nukem Forever or Team Fortress 2 that made the game appear to be fairly "done"? The fact that they no longer have any set parameters for their engine means they have the opportunity to upgrade their game into infinity along with advancing technology. If they don't have any set "goals" or limits of their engine then they may never be done. I'm not saying this will happen, but given their track record so far, it's not too far from reality.

The whole thing just seems like another opportunity to stay in development hell.
    Stay in development hell? Dude, the project was only officially announced in 2006. It wasn't until this year did they actually set up a real development studio and actually hired a team and get investors. Which means that most of that engine code was written this year. Additionally, they have been very diligent to keep the community updated on all progress since their announcement of the new engine. This isn't the bullshit small picture released every two years like Duke Nukem forever. TF2 was in development for 8+ years, Duke Nukem Forever 10+; NS2 is arguably going on 2 and a half. I'll call it development hell if the game is still being worked on in 2012.

Do you think you could enlighten me on their track record so far? What is this fact that they no longer have goals or limits? I don't believe that it was wrong for them to switch from the Source engine (it is probably severely limiting due to the fact that they don't have complete control over the source code). However, I don't think this means they are creating unrealistic expectations. The lead dev talked about Test Driven Development and how they are implementing it about a month ago on the twitter account.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Do you think you could enlighten me on their track record so far?
    2006? Really? It seems like a billion years ago that everyone was all hyped over Dynamic Infestation. Oh well. I guess I'm wrong.
  • The guys are working on it, they are working hard. They have video podcasts that prove they are getting shit done. However, I am still very skeptical this game will ever come out. It's definitely a case of biting off more than you can chew. Their goals for the game are way above what anyone can achieve with the resources they have. Not long ago they made a sudoku game just to get some money. The bad economy isn't helping them either. Investors can back out at any moment. If the game actually gets released one day, I will be amazed.
  • A recent interview with Flayra. It sounds like they're pretty far along, actually, despite the engine switch. Yes, some of that is undoubtedly marketing exaggeration, but it gives me hope nonetheless.
  • Scott exaggerating pessimism, now that's a surprise.
  • Oh mans the hotness. Go to the youtube page for HD.
  • Oh mans the hotness. Go to the youtube page for HD.
    OLD! I saw it yesterday, mock mock.

It looks very nice, yes. Go look at some Killzone 2 footage after that, now that looks hot.
  • edited April 2009
    And so, we start getting ready for the disappointment.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Plan: Bribe mom's boyfriend into paying for new computer parts by the time summer comes along.
  • !
    What's the matter? Saw Solid Snake?
  • edited December 2010
    Big announcement coming today...
    (10:18:55 AM) Andrew: big NS2 announcement today
    (10:19:01 AM) Scott Rubin: i heard
    (10:19:07 AM) Scott Rubin: announcement: game is done
    (10:19:22 AM) Scott Rubin: announcement: adding a third faction
    (10:19:33 AM) Andrew: o rly?
    (10:19:41 AM) Scott Rubin: no, just pretending
    (10:19:53 AM) Scott Rubin: announcement: got a pile of money from a real publisher/developer
    (10:19:54 AM) Andrew: pretty sure we will see gameplay
    (10:20:01 AM) Scott Rubin: yeah, it has to be that at least
    (10:20:14 AM) Scott Rubin: xbox/ps3/wii verison
    (10:20:17 AM) Andrew: ew
    (10:20:23 AM) Andrew: hope not
    (10:20:30 AM) Andrew: announcement: open beta starts tomorrow
    (10:20:39 AM) Scott Rubin: nooo, I don't have time
    (10:21:02 AM) Andrew: maybe you shouldn't be playing L4D all the time
    (10:21:09 AM) Scott Rubin: i'm not playing it all the time
    (10:21:16 AM) Scott Rubin: just a little bit before sleeping
    (10:21:46 AM) Andrew: announcement: open beta started yesterday
    (10:21:47 AM) Andrew: haha
    (10:21:50 AM) Scott Rubin: lol
    (10:22:02 AM) Andrew: I would love to see a company do something like that
    (10:22:09 AM) Andrew: make an easter egg in their website
    (10:22:14 AM) Andrew: and ninja the release
    (10:22:36 AM) Scott Rubin: announcement: replacing marines with ninjas
    (10:23:58 AM) Andrew: announcement: it's actually just NS1 with a flamethrower
    (10:24:04 AM) Scott Rubin: yeahhh!
    (10:24:14 AM) Scott Rubin: but also
    (10:24:16 AM) Scott Rubin: onos breath fire
    (10:24:20 AM) Andrew: oh mans
    (10:24:23 AM) Scott Rubin: for fairness
    (10:24:36 AM) Andrew: I would rather have the lurk breath fire
    (10:24:42 AM) Scott Rubin: also good
    (10:24:43 AM) Andrew: swoop in, set everyone on fire
    (10:26:02 AM) Andrew: I hope we get to see the welding bots
    (10:26:24 AM) Scott Rubin: announcement:
    (10:26:37 AM) Scott Rubin: sold out to activision/blizzard NS2 is now starcraft fps
    (10:28:02 AM) Andrew: announcement pt2: All we did was change the skins. Enjoy
    (10:28:52 AM) Scott Rubin: they also have to add the what's it called race
    (10:28:58 AM) Scott Rubin: protoos
    (10:29:02 AM) Andrew: flayra did say that there was goign to be an NS2 beta this summer
    (10:29:07 AM) Scott Rubin: niiiice
    (10:29:10 AM) Andrew: I don't want to get my hopes up
    (10:29:11 AM) Andrew: but...
    (10:29:15 AM) Scott Rubin: maybe
    (10:29:18 AM) Scott Rubin: adding physics
    (10:29:29 AM) Andrew: I think physics are already in
    (10:29:38 AM) Scott Rubin: i know
    (10:29:40 AM) Andrew: lol
    (10:29:42 AM) Andrew: oh I know
    (10:29:47 AM) Scott Rubin: siege is default, and only official, game mode
    (10:30:11 AM) Andrew: combat has been sacked
    (10:30:20 AM) Andrew: those responsible for combat have been sacked as well
    (10:30:31 AM) Scott Rubin: achievements and levels
    (10:30:39 AM) Andrew: unlocks based on permuting achievements
    (10:31:04 AM) Andrew: you can only play aliens once you reach a certain number of unlocks
    (10:31:09 AM) Andrew: onos requires all unlocks
    (10:31:41 AM) Scott Rubin: commander selected at random, can't eject, can't quit
    (10:32:01 AM) Andrew: NS2 is now an MMO
    (10:32:19 AM) Scott Rubin: marines are now AI
    (10:32:21 AM) Scott Rubin: everyone plays aliens
    (10:32:29 AM) Andrew: no, aliens are AI as well
    (10:32:34 AM) Andrew: you just watch as spectators
    (10:32:59 AM) Scott Rubin: marines weaponry replaced with counter-strike arsenal
    (10:33:02 AM) Scott Rubin: aliens get lasers
    (10:33:47 AM) Andrew: we are changing the engine again
    (10:33:56 AM) Andrew: it's now based on the Duke Nukem Forever engine
    (10:34:11 AM) Scott Rubin: we used our money to buy the rights to DNF, and quit NS
    (10:35:06 AM) Andrew: the actual source code to NS2 has been erased by a giant magnent that flayra brought in to show everyone
    (10:35:34 AM) Scott Rubin: the game is done. We implemented every suggestion from the forums, and that's it.
    (10:36:17 AM) Andrew: the optimized the gameplay for the 360 controller
    (10:36:24 AM) Andrew: we optimized the gameplay that is
    (10:36:30 AM) Scott Rubin: no more aiming up and down, it's too ahrd
    (10:36:56 AM) Andrew: we implemented auto-aim by default, and you can't turn it off
    (10:37:07 AM) Scott Rubin: aimbots allowed?
    (10:37:12 AM) Andrew: aimbots are provided
    (10:37:23 AM) Scott Rubin: disabling aimbot is cheating
    (10:37:40 AM) Andrew: additionally, the RTS elements of the game have been sacked
    (10:37:49 AM) Andrew: it was just too difficult for today
    (10:37:53 AM) Andrew: today's market to handle
    (10:37:54 AM) Scott Rubin: marines get x-ray vision and aliens get infra-red. Wallhax for everybody.
    (10:38:13 AM) Andrew: the game is now just deathmatch on the moon's surface
    (10:39:18 AM) Scott Rubin: wait, I got it
    (10:39:29 AM) Scott Rubin: instead of NS2
    (10:39:37 AM) Scott Rubin: releasing Gorge Race 9000.
    (10:39:44 AM) Andrew: that...would actually be awesome
    (10:39:57 AM) Scott Rubin: even harder than original gorge race
    (10:40:00 AM) Andrew: EA actually bought out Unknown Worlds
    (10:40:08 AM) Andrew: the game is now known as NaturalSims 2
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I might pay for the silly armour. ^_~
  • I feel obligated to pay for the silly armor.
  • I paid for the silly armor. I mean I paid for the access to the alpha, and first access to the tools, so we can make some mods.
  • I expected too much from that.
    I can't shake the feeling that this will become the NS2 motto.
    I can't shake the feeling that this will become the NS2 motto.
    It's a teaser, what the fuck were you guys expecting, a feature film?
  • edited May 2009
    It's a teaser, what the fuck were you guys expecting, a feature film?
    A little gameplay. Just a little, at the very least.

They did say, quote:
    Everything that we've been teasing you about over the past couple weeks will be released tomorrow (Wednesday) morning by 11am PST!
    They didn't say:
    Tomorrow a teaser trailer goes online!
    "Everything" was definitely an overstatement. They blatantly hyped this as big news and I think I'm completely justified in being underwhelmed by what I saw. You said yourself in that chat log that you also thought that this was supposed to be a "big" announcement, so don't act like we were the only ones.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It's a teaser, what the fuck were you guys expecting, a feature film?
    You guys? I was commenting on the NS2 hype in general.
    I can't shake the feeling that this will become the TF2 motto.
    Amirite?
  • edited May 2009
    "Everything" was definitely an overstatement. They blatantly hyped this as big news and I think I'm completely justified in being underwhelmed by what I saw. You said yourself in that chat log that you also thought that this was supposed to be a "big" announcement, so don't act like we were the only ones.
    Oh, you mean the fact that they launched a new website, started taking pre-orders, and debuted a trailer isn't big? If you really expected EVERYTHING to be a literal statement, I can only feel sorry for you. But I feel it was a fairly substantial start to the inevitable NS2 release. Sure, it would have been nice to see some gameplay, but to say that the whole NS2 motto is that it's been overhyped and that it will fail to meet expectations is hyperbole at best.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited May 2009
    Oh, you mean the fact that they launched a new website, started taking pre-orders, and debuted a trailer isn't big?
    Yeah, I don't think that's big, actually.
    Sure, it would have been nice to see some gameplay, but to say that the whole NS2 motto is that it's been overhyped and that it will fail to meet expectations is hyperbole at best.
    Gunter said that, dood.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2009
    Yeah, I don't think that's big, actually.
    Well then someone has unreasonable expectations. Not my fault.
    Gunter said that, dood.
    Yeah, which is why I quoted both of you...d00d
    Post edited by Andrew on