This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

USB Headsets= Shit?

edited December 2008 in Technology
I've decided to get myself a headset for gaming (specifically, but definitely not limited to Counterstrike Source, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, Natural Selection, Zombie Panic Source, etc.) since my current one has stopped working. I do need a nice mic in the headset and it needs to be comfortable. I want to get the most optimal one for the above games, but also to listen to music, although that isn't a priority.

Anyways, to my question- I'm looking at the Creative Fatal1ty Headset, and the have both a 3.5mm and a USB version. However, I have heard that using USB for things like headsets or headphones is sub-optimal and/or that USB is not to be trusted with sound. Although this sounds kinda fishy, I am still unsure. All of the Best Buys around me only have the USB version, so I want to know- Is USB totally reliable for headsets? Is the headset I want a good one. I've done research and it seems like it is very good. If not, what is a recommended headset?

Comments

• Reliable? I'm not sure what you mean, but if you're worried about it spontaneously not functioning during a game or something, it won't do that.

I know nothing about the headset you want, but I can tell you that even the cheapest headset you can find on Amazon will work satisfactorily for gaming.
  • I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the usb acts as an eternal soundcard and the 3.5mm plug goes to the soundcard you already have, thus a 3.5mm jack will always work but an USB one might not.

I got a cheap (3.5mm) headset for free somewhere and while it does hurt my ears after prolonged use, it isn't as bad if I take it off between matches. I'm quite happy with it.
  • I alternately use a USB headset and a 3.5mm headset, and I can't say there's much of a difference. In terms of reliability, they're both excellent.
  • The only problem I have with headsets for gaming is that all of them have headphones as well as microphones. If I'm gaming, especially in an fps, I absolutely must use my 5.1 surround sound speakers. How else will I know which direction the skulks are coming from? I've been using the microphone built into my logitech webcam, and it's been working pretty great. I don't have to wear anything. I just push and talk.
  • The only problem I have with headsets for gaming is that all of them have headphones as well as microphones. If I'm gaming, especially in an fps, I absolutely must use my 5.1 surround sound speakers. How else will I know which direction the skulks are coming from? I've been using the microphone built into my logitech webcam, and it's been working pretty great. I don't have to wear anything. I just push and talk.
    I do exactly the same thing, except I don't have 5.1 so I must use my heaphones which provides me with enough directional sound to know which direction something is coming from. My webcam has a nice mic which is good enough to talk with, although it does pick up a lot of background sound.
  • I use a set of Zalman 5.1 headphones running through an external soundcard. I would go with a 3.5mm jack through a PCI soundcard if at all possible and, should you get a USB headset, don't put it on a hub with a lot of other stuff. I occasionally get messed up sound in the middle of games though I have met other people who've had this problem and it seems just changing the speaker configuration in Steam games from 5.1 to headphones and back again fixes it.
  • I use a set of Zalman 5.1 headphones running through an external soundcard. I would go with a 3.5mm jack through a PCI soundcard if at all possible and, should you get a USB headset, don't put it on a hub with a lot of other stuff. I occasionally get messed up sound in the middle of games though I have met other people who've had this problem and it seems just changing the speaker configuration in Steam games from 5.1 to headphones and back again fixes it.
  • I have a problem with getting my microphone to work in NS. Every time I connect to a server or the map changes it changes the setting on my sound card, selecting a mic input that doesn't seem to work. That means if I ever want to talk (say, to ask if or how it is possible to drop a the only jet pack that I picked up by accident) I have to hit the windows key, change a setting again in windows, then go back to the game. Maybe a USB headset would sort that shit.
  • Well, I bought the Creative Fatal1ty USB Headset and I have to say that it is fantastic. Works great, and there are no problems with the USB at all. Thanks!
  • edited February 2009
    I have a problem with getting my microphone to work in NS. Every time I connect to a server or the map changes it changes the setting on my sound card, selecting a mic input that doesn't seem to work. That means if I ever want to talk (say, to ask if or how it is possible to drop a the only jet pack that I picked up by accident) I have to hit the windows key, change a setting again in windows, then go back to the game. Maybe a USB headset would sort that shit.
    I have a similar issue with my 3.5 headset in Left 4 Dead. The game doesn't like my sound card and won't let my mic work in-game. I've done everything that Valve recommends to resolve the issue with no luck. Would a USB mic bypass this issue? Forum? Help? Advice?
    Post edited by Jason on
    Haven't they been able to fool people's ears with headphones for years now? I play my games with them set to "headphones" and I can always here things behind me.
  • I'd have thought the only game where surround regularly makes a significant difference is Natural Selection.
  • I'd have thought the only game where surround regularly makes a significant difference is Natural Selection.
    It makes a significant difference in every fps I have ever played that has surround support. As early as Counter-Strike I was listening for footsteps behind me or around the corner.
  • How many of those are there?
  • How many of those are there?
    Everything including Half-Life 1 and since?
  • edited February 2009
    Nah, It'll give you a small advantage if you've got it but not enough of one to make getting them worth it if you don't already have some. It'd need to be a game where your enemy is likely to sneak up on you and a surprise attack poses a real problem.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • It makes a significant difference in every fps I have ever played that has surround support. As early as Counter-Strike I was listening for footsteps behind me or around the corner.
    ArmA has directional/locational voip. Each player emits their voice in a radius around their player. The closer you are, the louder they get. In addition to surround sound support, it's pretty awesome when you can use their chatter to locate them in proximity to yourself.
  • Nah, It'll give you a small advantage if you've got it but not enough of one to make them worth it if you don't. It'd need to be a game where your enemy is likely to sneak up on you and a surprise attack poses a real problem.
    Even if they aren't sneaking up on you, you can still hear gunfire in the distance. This means you can use your ears to figure out where to go instead of using the radar HUD. It even has more advantages than that, like you can figure out which sorts of weapons are coming at you from which directions. A guy with a pistol is close by on the right, while a guy with a rifle is far back and to the left. Lots and lots of information can be communicated by audio, and adding positional information to that audio makes a huge difference.
  • Then you agree that it isn't worth buying surround headphones unless you're playing games like CS and NS?
  • Then you agree that it isn't worth buying surround headphones unless you're playing games like CS and NS?
    I've never used surround headphones, only actual surround speakers. I don't really know if the surround headphones work as well, but I see no technological reason they could not.

That being said, if you aren't playing games with surround sound, or watching movies with surround sound, then what do you need surround speakers or headphones for?

Also, if the headphones connect to the computer via a normal headphone cable, they are not surround. If they are USB or optical, then they might actually really be surround.
  • edited February 2009
    Do you mean ones with one jack or one of the ones with three jacks like I have? Three jacks, six drivers.
  • Do you mean ones with one jack or one of the ones with three jacks like I have? Three jacks, six drivers.
    Yeah, three jacks can be 5.1. However, I have had very bad experience in the past with sound cards that use the multiple-analog jack method of pumping out surround sound. I have had much better experience with the computer sending AC3/PCM to the speakers and having it processed on that end.
  • edited February 2009
    My current setup is a Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB soundcard (laptop user) and a set of Zalman 5.1 headphones. They make a version without the mic and a USB version too.

Front (note the Digital Input and Output on the side)

Back

Headphones
  • My current set-up consists of the sound card built into my motherboard, an optical audio cable, and the Logitech Z-5500.
  • edited February 2009
    Well, as an example of a simple, recent game where sound helps a lot - Left 4 Dead.
    But I'm serious when I say that good sound is very useful in almost any FPS.

I have neither surround speakers nor surround headphones, but I have high-quality stereo headphones and my sound card has CMSS-3D.

On the topic of surround headphones, I think they're stupid. It is obvious that each individual speaker inside those headphones will be much poorer quality than what you'd get with stereo headphones at the same price. Additionally, headphones targeted at "gamers" will inevitably have worse sound. CMSS-3D handles directional audio very well indeed - for gaming headphones you'd be better off buying the cheapest Creative X-Fi you can find, paired with a good pair of headphones. You'll get a much higher sound quality/price ratio, and you'll still get directional sound. I can help you out with looking for good stereo headphones if you wish.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited February 2009
    @LackofCheese: It's video games, not opera. They sound pretty good when watching films too. So you're wrong about that.
  • Just because you say they sound "pretty good" doesn't mean that compared to quality stereo headphones they don't suck, which is what I was saying. Also, I'm not just talking about games - wouldn't you want headphones that are good for music as well?
  • Wouldn't you want earbuds for music listening? I use my speakers or a pair of ER-6is for music.
  • edited February 2009
    Mostly for portability, and for isolation when needed. Otherwise, earbuds are not inherently better for music. They tend to have weaker bass, for one.
    Speakers are generally only better than headphones if you pay a fair amount for them - otherwise, headphones tend to offer more value for money when it comes to sound quality.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited February 2009
    Wouldn't you want earbuds for music listening? I use my speakers or a pair of ER-6is for music.
    Speaking of which, a short while back I picked up a pair of in-ear earbuds that are almost identical to omnutia's (admittedly, at a steep discount - sealed in box secondhand, 10 quid), and all I can say is that I'm stupid for not listening to scrym earlier on this issue. while my earcans are good for at home, they're somewhat impractical for use away from home, and these in-ears blow every single other earbud I've ever had right out of the water.
    Post edited by Churba on