This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why do you hate me, Doctor Who DVD box sets?

Je. Sus. Christ. Can someone tell me why the Doctor Who DVD box sets feel the need to spoil the entire season in their menus?

I love the revamped series, for multiple reasons. One of those reasons is the unbelievable amount of care they take in preventing the bigger spoilers from leaking out ahead of time. They've cut scenes from preview reels, included different scenes in preview reels, filmed scenes with a skeleton crew to keep them secret from the rest of the production staff, withheld revealing episode titles until broadcast. The head writer flat-out lied in interviews about things he did and didn't like about the original series, for three years, in order to make the twist towards the end of one season that much more surprising. I really respect this kind of dedication to preserving the "mystery" of a show after the advent of the Internet.

All of which seems to not only be thrown out the window for the DVD releases, but actively reversed. Seriously, if I'm using the DVDs to show someone else the series for the first time, I shouldn't have to keep the discs hidden from them because the labels include images that spoil the finale. I shouldn't have to mute the TV during the menu because of voiceover dialogue that will spoil the season finale.

The funny thing is, in my experience this isn't even limited to Doctor Who; the DVD releases for Red Dwarf do the same thing (although not as badly). Is this just some Albion thing I'm not getting?

Comments

• Albion is a mystic land from across the Great Ocean. We may never know its secrets.

All I know for sure is that Netflix streaming solves these issues.